• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

To Riders, Journo's and sports directors reading the forum...

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Richie Porte better realise that half the people or more maybe standing on a mountain side watching his sweaty a$$ struggling up a col then go and log on to a forum, tweet or facebook to talk about it.

Sports people always had fragile egos.

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
RP shouldn't be following a forum on the internet. Thought he had something better to do.

To be fair this forum does often have a lot of **** comments. Probably including this. If it isn't VDB, who is winning, then it's because all the other riders were wheelsucking and didn't derserve it.

Don't get the whole VDB thing anyways. Many belgians on here?...

trekbikes said:
Some of the things said on forums about riders in any other arena would be considered liable, especially regarding the use of doping. Also more often than not the opinions expressed and the conclusions drawn in internet forums are based upon limited information ... People really need to be careful with the comments they make especially regarding the situation of accusing riders of doping.

No, they don't. This is an anonymous forum and provided members stick to the rules of decorum defined by the forum hosts, they can say whatever they want. And it's libel, not liable.

I'd say there's a lot more on here that's constructive than there is destructive.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Thomsena said:
In my world VDB is Van den Broeck.

But I deleted my message since it could be misundestood.

No one's talking about VDB2 not winning because everyone wheelsucks. So yeah, I do think you mixed VDB up with VDB2. Everyone here knows VDB2 is not a winner.

A

Anonymous

L'arriviste said:
No, they don't.

Yes, they do actually. People can be and have been sued over comments made in forums, and if you believe you're anonymous, you're dreaming. Unless you're very, very good at covering your tracks, everything you do on line can be traced.

If Richie Porte is bothered by some commentaries here in these Forums-which BTW have been kind and complementary most of them- can anyone imagine if this kid wins a big race & goes in rage because someone opens a new thread call "no way Richie Porte is clean" --WTF?

he really needs to mature, & learn how to deal with the media.-even if the guy is very likable, there always be someone out there putting a question mark on his performance or making absurd comments-so he better man up and stop paying attention to these forums if he can't take the heat

A

Anonymous

Ferminal said:
No one is going to end up in court for saying "cyclist x is a doper".

I think you're almost certainly right. But that's not the same as relying on non-existent anonymity or a grasping-at-straws defence if you do.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree with what someone wrote earlier, riders shouldn't read these forums.

Anthony Tan is right though - this can be an evil place ;)

A

Anonymous

Mambo95 said:
I'm glad you're so confident. I wouldn't be.

Oh, I'm definitely not confident enough to, say, accuse someone of being a doper in this forum. I'll leave that level of confidence to those who are prepared to hand their houses over to the lawyers. :)

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Jamsque Tan is right - maybe not evil but that was provably in jest but certainly this place contains a lot of ill- informed ignorant **** but with some really good stuff too. Because none of the junk is about me, I can wade through drivel like 'no way Gilbert' to find the good stuff or offer a contrasting opinion. But if I was a rider - no way!

ACF this needy little thread is every bit as thin-skinned as the reaction you are criticising. Grow a pair - you have anonymity and ignorance on your side - but don't expect people to give a **** about what you think

Winterfold said:
I can wade through drivel like 'no way Gilbert' to find the good stuff or offer a contrasting opinion. But if I was a rider - no way!

You mean "no way Cancellara".

Why is it time and time again ok to make accusations against Cancellara, but wrong to repeat them against Gilbert?

Also lets not forget, Bradley Wiggins, Mark Cavendish, Ezequiel Mosquera (before he tested positive) Michael Kwiatkowski, Cadel Evans, Sebastian Roessler and a large number of others.

It seemed perfectly all right to create threads about just about anyone in the peloton accusing them of doping. But the second Saint Phillip of Liege (having achieved as much as everyone listed above bar Cuddles put together) gets given the same treatment, the righteous decide to come out of their hiding.

the Clinic is a minefield. (one reason i stopped posting in it as much as i used to.) some very knowledgeable comments and some leave a lot to be desired. all in all, i think it serves a purpose. far from evil. just annoying sometimes.

A

Anonymous

I think we know by now that Anthony Tan is an a-hole, and interesting that he quotes Porte and then adds on his own thoughts of what Porte is thinking disguised as a quote from Porte.

Tan is as bad a journalist as there is. The guys written more crap than I care to remember

i only visit the clinic on very rare occasions, mostly when something big happens and i barely ever post most people there look like they more about doping then cycling .ofc i am only talking about the posters who only post in the clinic. i don't mind people discussing doping in general but the mentality in the clinic is that every one dopes and tbh that bothers me.

anyway back on topic, if i were a cyclist i would most certainly read/post on the road section. there are some harshish critics from time to time but most of the time there is a reason for them and when there isn't most posters will disagree so its not like it is a general opinion. it would also be a way to stay informed about everything that happens in cycling which if you are a rider is your world.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
lol I think Richie saw one of Hitch's posts :D

I agree that the clinic is a pretty depressing place, threads like there is no way gilbert is clean etc are annoying. Every time a rider performs it must be doping. I am aware of the problems in cycling, but I prefer to discuss the aspects I actually like in cycling. Thus I am rarely in the clinic.
It is almost like, you either do nothing in cycling or are labelled a no good cheat.

But yeah, thicker skin is useful. Agree wrong accusions would be annoying. But they shouldn'tt get upset, critism and doubters apart of the game.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
No one is going to end up in court for saying "cyclist x is a doper".

Actually that is potentially wrong.
Given this is now effectively a UK website, it can be covered under UK in which case, any comment made by someone - regardless of their residence - can end up the source of a lawsuit. This applies in a similar way to that in which a book or newspaper that is sold in London is enough for a UK website, even if its an American newspaper reporting on a Dutch individual.

The reason that I say "potentially" is that you are quite right that it is amazing that the average pro cyclist would consider such a lawsuit given the time and low reward for doing so.

TRENDING THREADS