• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Today on cyclingnews.com" Flash box - keep or ditch?

Should the "Today on cyclingnews.com" Flash box be removed?

• Doesn't matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Old poll - deadline expired.

On browsers with Flash support, at the top left of the current main page there is a large Flash box entitled "Today on cyclingnews.com" listing a handful of topics, each successively highlighted one at a time every few seconds. On browsers without Flash the box doesn't even show up. All of the topics in the box are listed elsewhere too, either under News, News Editions, Races or Features. Maybe Tech too.

At any rate, I find this box to be very distracting, completely useless and that it simply clutters the page. One of the biggest problems with the new page is that there is no clear point of focus, and this box is a big cause of that.

I think the page would be greatly improved if this box was removed.

I'm curious how many others agree with me; hence this poll.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I say remove it. it is very distracting, totally unnecessary and lame. But, they wont remove it, it was a stated requirement for the site, the carousel is part of Future Publishing's corporate identity and they use it on all of their sites.

If you don't use FireFox yet download and install it, and install the adblock and flashblock add-ons;)

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Ditch this and other things

Yes...please ditch the flash box. Also look at all your other feedback and start dropping ALL the other stupid things you have done.

The sunflower background...can someone tell me what use this is..it is just annoying...does someone get cash for having behind the website? if not why is it there...I do not expect an answer.

Flash box...gotta go

Other things...read the feedback...it is all there

pedrospeeps said:
Yes...please ditch the flash box. Also look at all your other feedback and start dropping ALL the other stupid things you have done.

The sunflower background...can someone tell me what use this is..it is just annoying...does someone get cash for having behind the website? if not why is it there...I do not expect an answer.

Flash box...gotta go

Other things...read the feedback...it is all there

Please remember to vote in the poll as well as commenting here.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
I like it. It gives the page a starting point. It draws the eye and creates a natural left-side based visual heirachy. It aligns well with the main nav which is also left based.

cousinmosquito said:
I like it. It gives the page a starting point. It draws the eye and creates a natural left-side based visual heirachy. It aligns well with the main nav which is also left based.
I don't understand this.

It gives the page a starting point? At best, it gives a false impression of a starting point. A starting point for what, exactly? What is gained by starting there rather than, well, with news editions (which are buried far down the page partially because of this box)?

Yeah, it draws the eye, but for what purpose? To list a tiny subset of the items on that page, not organized in any way, and don't help one iota in terms of what else is on that page? What point is there in that?

Two simple columns does not create a natural left-side based visual hierarchy?

I voted to have it removed for the following reasons:

1) When I click on a link from there, it often results in a 404 error.
2) It is distracting, and is redundant as the same article can be found under "News"
3) It causes the user to have to scroll down to see race results and News.

VeloGirl said:
I voted to have it removed for the following reasons:

1) When I click on a link from there, it often results in a 404 error.
2) It is distracting, and is redundant as the same article can be found under "News"
3) It causes the user to have to scroll down to see race results and News.
Exactly.

It has all these downsides, and no benefits.

Why is it there?

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Ditto ... this site is really a disappointment and now after saying that you want feedback, you get a very clear message and do nothing ... c'mon, here's a great chance to say that you're listening - do something right for a change!

I have all but lost faith in the leadership that is steering this nightmare of a website!
S

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Ditch it. If you want to do something newfangled AND USEFUL with the site, set a cookie on my machine so you show me all the updates since the last time I looked.
I'm sure part of my dislike for the new format is unfamiliarity, but the lack of clutter and gimmickry was always what attracted me to cyclingnews. I have been a reader of the site daily (or more) for years, and it was always my first point of call for sating my cycling addiction. That I now find myself hitting Velonews first should have you worried.

dsut4392 said:
Ditch it. If you want to do something newfangled AND USEFUL with the site, set a cookie on my machine so you show me all the updates since the last time I looked.
I'm sure part of my dislike for the new format is unfamiliarity, but the lack of clutter and gimmickry was always what attracted me to cyclingnews. I have been a reader of the site daily (or more) for years, and it was always my first point of call for sating my cycling addiction. That I now find myself hitting Velonews first should have you worried.
Too bad velonews is as cluttered as ever.

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Great .. keep it near the top of the website forums and perhaps more folks will reply ... but more than 80% against is pretty conclusive... I'm guessing they'll do nothing ... and keep it there for a while.

Responding quickly does not seem to be something the CN folks want or care to do and this is an excellent example of it... it's like the cut-off maps that they finally got "fixed" on stage 18 - now I can see the profile of todays stage, tomorrows flat TT and the climb up the Vontoux...
S

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
poll is closed but i would vote get rid of it, infact why did the site change, it´s really not as good, infact it´s pretty bad now, it was very easy to use before looked fiine, so there is a big overhaul :S wot

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
Why is this still there?

This is really F@$&ed up!

The other thinga bout the box that is really annoying is that you can't open one of the stories in a new tab and come back to it... though if you scroll down and try to do that elsewhere it's fine... so WHY HAVE IT?

Please tell me why the box is still there? more tan 80% of the voters want it gone... this poll was supposed to be about getting feedback from those who view the site... there is clear feedback and yet months later nothing is done.

I keep returning and hope it'll be gone... but its still there.

I am officially finished with this site... you just don't give a s#!t what the viewers of the site want...

S

A

Anonymous

is it still there...

im actually wondering why i used to visit CN.. ive coped fine these two months or so without it..

TRENDING THREADS