• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Today on Cyclingnews" flash box (again!) - functionality change please

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
OK, so a year on from the last polls and it looks like the "Today on Cyclingnews" flash box is here to stay.

With that in mind, could we please have just a little tweak to the implementation so that we can "right click" to have links open in a new page? Other sites with similar flash animations can manage this just fine e.g. www.theregister.co.uk.

I personally much prefer opening a bunch of browser tabs and closing them when done than continually navigating back to the home page to read the next link.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Totally agree - it takes me more time to figure out which links from the main window are duplicated in the news section further down the page, which i then open from there, then go back to the flash window and open the (hopefully only one) link i didn't find duplicated. Annoying.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
That's a reasonable suggestion. It won't be done overnight but we'll try and sort it out so you can right click but if that's not possible maybe so you can hold shift when you click to make it open in a new window.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
agaler said:
That's a reasonable suggestion. It won't be done overnight but we'll try and sort it out so you can right click but if that's not possible maybe so you can hold shift when you click to make it open in a new window.

Thanks agaler. Interestingly the site I referred you to in my original post has taken off it's flash animated "top stories" banner in case you're looking for it (everybody on thereg hated flash too).

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Hello

The dreaded Today on Cyclingnews flash box is now dead and we've replicated it in HTML. Any teething problems please let us know.

A

Anonymous

agaler said:
The dreaded Today on Cyclingnews flash box is now dead and we've replicated it in HTML. Any teething problems please let us know.

WEll done. Vast improvement. :D Bloody thing was one of the main reasons i stopped visiting (until i discovered how to remove it)

(I always wondered why it was there to start with, the flash served no purpose. Flash is all well and good, in flash driven sites, but having a primerily html driven site with a random peice of stray flash was always very odd. Like the early days of WYSIWYG editors when everyone when website mad and insisted on using every single feature of the software package, animated gifs, banners, scrolling text, five different menu types just so that they could say they had used everything in the box)

Sometimes simple, is so much simplyer.

dsut4392 said:
I personally much prefer opening a bunch of browser tabs and closing them when done than continually navigating back to the home page to read the next link.

new version of opera automically opens all offsite pages in a new tab, and it even stacks the tabs so all offsite pages from one site get stacked in the same tab.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Don't really like the change tbh. Preferred it before and it doesn't bother me that the stuff in the flash box is also in "News" section even though it is redundant.

Can I ask what is with the ads from google? Funnily enough, there is an ad about "EPO Cyclist supplements" (http://www.epoboost.com) under the story about Deignan going to radioshack. Of all teams it had to be radioshack!:D

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
usedtobefast - a problem with having "zoom in" set in firefox as well as having "don't zoom in pictures" set. We've just fixed that for you hopefully