• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Todays idiot masters fattie doper

Page 48 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
There is a current theory in legitimate medicine that several compounds in smaller doses is more effective (and safer) than a large dose of one or two compounds.

As an example in pain control, traditionally a DR may have given a patient a large dose of morphine for severe pain and have to shoulder the consequences of accidental OD or other adverse reactions...the technique used more today is instead to give a much smaller dose of morphine with small doses of ibuprofen, aspirin, paracetamol, tramadol, gabapentin etc to cover a all the aspects of the pain without giving a large dose of any particular compound.

In doping terms it would be like things were in the 90s where athletes were taking huge doses of EPO (and subsequently dying) compared to how things are now (hopefully!), where there is more knowledge of the risks involved and the athlete uses smaller doses of multiple compounds to achieve a similar effect instead.

Of course if Leogrande is whacking high doses of all seven compounds into himself then he's going to do himself harm in the not too distant future.

Re:

Catwhoorg said:
USADA announced today that an arbitrator from the American Arbitration Association (AAA) has rendered a decision in the case of cycling athlete Jenna Blandford, of Louisville, Ky., and has determined that Blandford should receive a four-year sanction for the use and possession of prohibited substances.

https://www.usada.org/aaa-arbitrator-imposes-doping-sanction-jenna-blandford/

Technically, she was an elite fattie doper, not a masters fattie doper.

Read the PDF document, it is almost comical. Bad break up with her BF who was also doping and getting the stuff for her. He was pissed off and ratted her out to USADA! :lol:

Re: Re:

nslckevin said:
Catwhoorg said:
USADA announced today that an arbitrator from the American Arbitration Association (AAA) has rendered a decision in the case of cycling athlete Jenna Blandford, of Louisville, Ky., and has determined that Blandford should receive a four-year sanction for the use and possession of prohibited substances.

https://www.usada.org/aaa-arbitrator-imposes-doping-sanction-jenna-blandford/

Technically, she was an elite fattie doper, not a masters fattie doper.

Read the PDF document, it is almost comical. Bad break up with her BF who was also doping and getting the stuff for her. He was pissed off and ratted her out to USADA! :lol:

There is something disturbingly vindictive about that.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
No wonder people in the US are leaving competitive cycling in droves when this is the backdrop to amateur competition. Combine the dopers with the win-at-all-costs A-types with the crazy amount spent on frames, wheels, nutrition, coaches and other gear and you have an amateur sport that is increasingly unfriendly and losing friends fast.

Re:

TrackCynic said:
No wonder people in the US are leaving competitive cycling in droves when this is the backdrop to amateur competition. Combine the dopers with the win-at-all-costs A-types with the crazy amount spent on frames, wheels, nutrition, coaches and other gear and you have an amateur sport that is increasingly unfriendly and losing friends fast.

....and that's why I'm content to not deal with it anymore and read about the carnage on The Clinic. Why spend thousands of dollars on lightweight equipment and 20+ hours a week on the bike when you're competing against guys who'll do all that plus see an anti-aging doc on the side? Not worth my time.

Huapango said:
TrackCynic said:

....and that's why I'm content to not deal with it anymore and read about the carnage on The Clinic. Why spend thousands of dollars on lightweight equipment and 20+ hours a week on the bike when you're competing against guys who'll do all that plus see an anti-aging doc on the side? Not worth my time.

Spend all that money on bike touring. You won't regret it!

MarkvW said:
Huapango said:
TrackCynic said:

Couldn't agree more!!

It's a great way to see the world.....just ticked over 13000kms, 8 countries in 7 months ;)

JackRabbitSlims said:
MarkvW said:
Huapango said:
TrackCynic said:

Couldn't agree more!!

It's a great way to see the world.....just ticked over 13000kms, 8 countries in 7 months ;)
You said it. Remember why you ride bikes in the first place. When you’ve raced against guys who have been popped it changes your focus.

You said it. Remember why you ride bikes in the first place. When you’ve raced against guys who have been popped it changes your focus.[/quote]

Amen to that! It's been a few years since I stopped and I still say masters racing was the dumbest thing I've done as an adult. It's easy to get caught up in its tiny, self congratulatory world....you gotta go through some serious mental gymnastics to justify the loss of family and work time, as well as the expense. Just participating is bad enough, but then those that start doping as well?

Pontiac said:
You said it. Remember why you ride bikes in the first place. When you’ve raced against guys who have been popped it changes your focus.

Amen to that! It's been a few years since I stopped and I still say masters racing was the dumbest thing I've done as an adult. It's easy to get caught up in its tiny, self congratulatory world....you gotta go through some serious mental gymnastics to justify the loss of family and work time, as well as the expense. Just participating is bad enough, but then those that start doping as well?[/quote]

There are people who will cheat at any aspect of life. We've all worked with the corner-cutters, the blame-shifters, the management spies...why shouldn't those people also race bicycles?

Bolder said:
Pontiac said:

Amen to that! It's been a few years since I stopped and I still say masters racing was the dumbest thing I've done as an adult. It's easy to get caught up in its tiny, self congratulatory world....you gotta go through some serious mental gymnastics to justify the loss of family and work time, as well as the expense. Just participating is bad enough, but then those that start doping as well?

There are people who will cheat at any aspect of life. We've all worked with the corner-cutters, the blame-shifters, the management spies...why shouldn't those people also race bicycles?[/quote]
The examples you use are generally people being lazy, they're doing it instead of doing the job; the complaint is the dopers are doing it as well as all the other stuff.

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
True. Being a masters doper still requires a ridiculous amount of training and sacrifices to win a parking lot crit. On one hand, I admire those masters riders who will train and eat like a pro for their commitment. But on the other hand, I'm thinking "selfish narcissists" because they are at the time of life where, IMHO, they should be helping the young 'uns develop and be better riders (and people). I've been a strong advocate in the US for competitive cycling clubs where there is a healthy mix of juniors, U23s, men and women elites and masters, a sense of community and a process to keep people in the sport. This, instead of the current trend for masters-specific "teams" where they give back absolutely zero to the sport.

The stages of being a masters racer.
1. It's so awesome to be fit again. This is making my family and work life better, I've got more energy, etc. So what if it costs some money?
2. Winning again is the best! All my racing peers are telling how awesome I am! Even though no one at home or work gives a ***, it's important to me. Yeah, so it takes some time and money, but it's all good stuff, etc.
3. Now I win all the time! I'm such a stud or at least that's what all my racing peers are saying, including a bunch of them that are getting divorced or lost their jobs. Nah, can't have anything to do with the racing. I plan all my family vacations and work time around training and racing, no way it is affecting that though.
4. Man, this is getting to be a lot of work to keep winning all the time! Ok, so we got a few guys exhibiting some roid rage in the races. This is all still good for me right? I'm not getting carried away with it like some of these guys or am I?
5. A few guys busted for doping and more roid rage incidents.....damn, these are some sick puppies....do I really want to be spending my weekends with guys like this?
6. I'm lucky that I have a great spouse and kids and a great job or business, I need to spend my time efforts with them, not these idiots. I can stay fit without all this BS on a lot less time and a lot less money than the 20 hrs a week and the $10-$15k a year.

I guess it was my mid life crisis, how else can you look at it? My wife jokes at least I wasn't out at the bars all those years I was doing masters racing!

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Pontiac said:
6. I'm lucky that I have a great spouse and kids and a great job or business, I need to spend my time efforts with them, not these idiots. I can stay fit without all this BS on a lot less time and a lot less money than the 20 hrs a week and the $10-$15k a year.

I guess it was my mid life crisis, how else can you look at it? My wife jokes at least I wasn't out at the bars all those years I was doing masters racing!

There are a lot of us have been through the same journey and ended up at #6. The number of people leaving road racing has totally outstripped the numbers joining, yet USAC has still done nothing to understand or fix the grassroots issues.

TrackCynic said:
Pontiac said:

There are a lot of us have been through the same journey and ended up at #6. The number of people leaving road racing has totally outstripped the numbers joining, yet USAC has still done nothing to understand or fix the grassroots issues.

Yep, it's only sane thing to do......otherwise you run the possibility of finding yourself at #7...the chance to be "Today's idiot masters fattie doper"

Re:

Pontiac said:
1. It's so awesome to be fit again. This is making my family and work life better, I've got more energy, etc. So what if it costs some money?
2. Winning again is the best! All my racing peers are telling how awesome I am! Even though no one at home or work gives a ****, it's important to me. Yeah, so it takes some time and money, but it's all good stuff, etc.
3. Now I win all the time! I'm such a stud or at least that's what all my racing peers are saying, including a bunch of them that are getting divorced or lost their jobs. Nah, can't have anything to do with the racing. I plan all my family vacations and work time around training and racing, no way it is affecting that though.
4. Man, this is getting to be a lot of work to keep winning all the time! Ok, so we got a few guys exhibiting some roid rage in the races. This is all still good for me right? I'm not getting carried away with it like some of these guys or am I?
5. A few guys busted for doping and more roid rage incidents.....damn, these are some sick puppies....do I really want to be spending my weekends with guys like this?

Awesome post!!

As someone who's probably just in stage 2 but with thoughts already turning towards stage 6, i think seeing it written down in black and white like this reaffirms the growing feeling i've been having for the last few months that i really don't need to to travel through stages 3,4 and 5 before finally settling down happily to see out my years enjoying riding loops around stage 6.

brownbobby said:
Pontiac said:
2. Winning again is the best! All my racing peers are telling how awesome I am! Even though no one at home or work gives a ****, it's important to me. Yeah, so it takes some time and money, but it's all good stuff, etc.

Awesome post!!

As someone who's probably just in stage 2 but with thoughts already turning towards stage 6, i think seeing it written down in black and white like this reaffirms the growing feeling i've been having for the last few months that i really don't need to to travel through stages 3,4 and 5 before finally settling down happily to see out my years enjoying riding loops around stage 6.

You are welcome!

Congrats on being at stage 2, but believe me going through the rest of it is really a matter of what your genetics are, not much else. It was fine being a kid and having the competitive drive and the genetics to succeed at the sport, but as an old guy it's a curse. A part of me envies those guys who can stay at stage 1 or 2 and keep it all in balance, I sure couldn't! Now when my wife and I are out hiking together on the weekends, after a few hours I apologize to her for what I put her through those masters racing years.

GW1516
I just looked this stuff up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GW501516

GW501516 (also known as GW-501,516, GW1516, GSK-516 and on the black market as Endurobol[1]) is a PPARδ receptor agonist that was invented in a collaboration between Ligand Pharmaceuticals and GlaxoSmithKline in the 1990s, was entered into clinical development as a drug candidate for metabolic diseases and cardiovascular diseases, and was abandoned in 2007 because animal testing showed that the drug caused cancer to develop rapidly in several organs.[2]

In 2007 research was published showing that high doses of GW501516 given to mice dramatically improved their physical performance; the work was widely discussed in popular media, and led to a black market for the drug candidate and to its abuse by athletes as a doping agent. The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) developed a test for GW501516 and other related chemicals and added them to the prohibited list in 2009; it has issued additional warnings to athletes that GW501516 is not safe.

:surprised: