• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Todays idiot masters fattie doper

Page 49 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Unbelievable, another one goes through all the stages and hits the jackpot!

After laughing for 30 minutes, I can only feel sorry for this guy and the others who do this stuff and only hope they can at some point resume a normal, productive life. As for all those guys who get so pissed off over this stuff, maybe you need to stop and look at where you are. It's a disease.

Pontiac said:

After laughing for 30 minutes, I can only feel sorry for this guy and the others who do this stuff and only hope they can at some point resume a normal, productive life. As for all those guys who get so pissed off over this stuff, maybe you need to stop and look at where you are. It's a disease.
This is why I like the Euro based pros coming home over the Australian summer - it reminds people where they really sit in the bigger picture.

Re: Re:

Pontiac said:
brownbobby said:
Pontiac said:
The stages of being a masters racer.
1. It's so awesome to be fit again. This is making my family and work life better, I've got more energy, etc. So what if it costs some money?
2. Winning again is the best! All my racing peers are telling how awesome I am! Even though no one at home or work gives a ****, it's important to me. Yeah, so it takes some time and money, but it's all good stuff, etc.
3. Now I win all the time! I'm such a stud or at least that's what all my racing peers are saying, including a bunch of them that are getting divorced or lost their jobs. Nah, can't have anything to do with the racing. I plan all my family vacations and work time around training and racing, no way it is affecting that though.
4. Man, this is getting to be a lot of work to keep winning all the time! Ok, so we got a few guys exhibiting some roid rage in the races. This is all still good for me right? I'm not getting carried away with it like some of these guys or am I?
5. A few guys busted for doping and more roid rage incidents.....damn, these are some sick puppies....do I really want to be spending my weekends with guys like this?
6. I'm lucky that I have a great spouse and kids and a great job or business, I need to spend my time efforts with them, not these idiots. I can stay fit without all this BS on a lot less time and a lot less money than the 20 hrs a week and the $10-$15k a year.

I guess it was my mid life crisis, how else can you look at it? My wife jokes at least I wasn't out at the bars all those years I was doing masters racing!

Awesome post!!

As someone who's probably just in stage 2 but with thoughts already turning towards stage 6, i think seeing it written down in black and white like this reaffirms the growing feeling i've been having for the last few months that i really don't need to to travel through stages 3,4 and 5 before finally settling down happily to see out my years enjoying riding loops around stage 6.

You are welcome!

Congrats on being at stage 2, but believe me going through the rest of it is really a matter of what your genetics are, not much else. It was fine being a kid and having the competitive drive and the genetics to succeed at the sport, but as an old guy it's a curse. A part of me envies those guys who can stay at stage 1 or 2 and keep it all in balance, I sure couldn't! Now when my wife and I are out hiking together on the weekends, after a few hours I apologize to her for what I put her through those masters racing years.

Thanks for the chuckle on the stages! A crash interrupted my travels at stage 2. Now, I help the young ones with their aspirations and do the occasional race with no major concern to placing, and most of all, I avoid the crazy sprint finishes that usually end in a crash.

Bustered.

USADA announced today that Buster Brown, of Bixby, Okla., an athlete in the sport of cycling, has tested positive for a prohibited substance and accepted a two-year sanction for his violation.

Brown, 53, tested positive for the presence of an anabolic agent and/or its metabolites as the result of an out-of-competition urine sample he provided on October 11, 2016. Brown was target tested based on credible information USADA received through the PlayClean Tip Center.

https://www.usada.org/buster-brown-accepts-doping-sanction/

Re:

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Bustered.

USADA announced today that Buster Brown, of Bixby, Okla., an athlete in the sport of cycling, has tested positive for a prohibited substance and accepted a two-year sanction for his violation.

Brown, 53, tested positive for the presence of an anabolic agent and/or its metabolites as the result of an out-of-competition urine sample he provided on October 11, 2016. Brown was target tested based on credible information USADA received through the PlayClean Tip Center.

I haven't been following this stuff as much as I used to, but I clicked on the USADA link.....there have been 34 positive tests for cycling since the beginning of 2016 and except for Danielson and a few no name pros they are all masters. What the heck are we to make of this? I think one of two things is going on here....

A. Mr. Travis Tygart has successfully cleaned up the pro end of the sport and is now focusing on the last remaining dopers in our sport. Soon the sport will be returned 100% to those athletes and fans who so desire a "clean" sport and all the sponsors will return in droves.

or is it

B. Our knight in shining armor, Travis has proven so ineffective at taking our hard earned tax payer dollars and cleaning up the pro end of the sport (after all the majority of his "busts" have been through someone either pulling a Landis and spilling the beans or police investigations), that he has been reduced to chasing a bunch of mentally unbalanced old guys who are chasing their youth with the T therapy, etc.....you know basically continuing to think with their little heads.

Take a look at the tests they have done this year and the names......Chris Horner has been tested 6 times! I guess the guy has a license or he wouldn't be in the testing pool, but what's he doing? The Tuesday night world's up in Bend?

Really Travis, you've gone from uncovering "the most sophisticated doping program ever" to chasing after a 45 year ex pro who hasn't really raced in years??

No wonder our sport is so messed up.

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

What the heck are we to make of this? I think one of two things is going on here....

A. Mr. Travis Tygart has successfully cleaned up the pro end of the sport and is now focusing on the last remaining dopers in our sport. Soon the sport will be returned 100% to those athletes and fans who so desire a "clean" sport and all the sponsors will return in droves.

or is it

B. Our knight in shining armor, Travis has proven so ineffective at taking our hard earned tax payer dollars and cleaning up the pro end of the sport (after all the majority of his "busts" have been through someone either pulling a Landis and spilling the beans or police investigations), that he has been reduced to chasing a bunch of mentally unbalanced old guys who are chasing their youth with the T therapy, etc.....you know basically continuing to think with their little heads.

Take a look at the tests they have done this year and the names......Chris Horner has been tested 6 times! I guess the guy has a license or he wouldn't be in the testing pool, but what's he doing? The Tuesday night world's up in Bend?

Really Travis, you've gone from uncovering "the most sophisticated doping program ever" to chasing after a 45 year ex pro who hasn't really raced in years??

I'll chose door number B but now please stop making sense, it's a rabbit hole.

Pontiac said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Bustered.

I haven't been following this stuff as much as I used to, but I clicked on the USADA link.....there have been 34 positive tests for cycling since the beginning of 2016 and except for Danielson and a few no name pros they are all masters. What the heck are we to make of this? I think one of two things is going on here....

or is it

This targetting of 'weekend warriors' is not just an issue in cycling, but across most sports - I have no idea why Amateur type sports or the amateur part of BIGGER sports are members of the WADA Code - This is the world gone crazy but plays into the hands of NADO's who receive credit for busting 'weekend warriors' who are hardly at the cutting edge of professional cycling.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
There's a 45yr old kicking arse in Elite races in the UK at the moment. Dropping talented riders and putting minutes into them. UKAD have been around to test but the results are not yet public.

What, if anything, could someone use to be this good?

nevada said:
There's a 45yr old kicking **** in Elite races in the UK at the moment. Dropping talented riders and putting minutes into them. UKAD have been around to test but the results are not yet public.

Without a bit more context its difficult to say.

But just guessing, any number and combination of things really....although if he's dropping talented riders as you say, i would guess he was/is a pretty talented rider himself who is perhaps resorting to some 'assistance' to reverse the inevitability of ageing.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
brownbobby said:
nevada said:
There's a 45yr old kicking **** in Elite races in the UK at the moment. Dropping talented riders and putting minutes into them. UKAD have been around to test but the results are not yet public.

But just guessing, any number and combination of things really....although if he's dropping talented riders as you say, i would guess he was/is a pretty talented rider himself who is perhaps resorting to some 'assistance' to reverse the inevitability of ageing.

doesn't appear to be any history other tha 4th cat a couple of yrs ago and elite licence obtained in March this year.

He puts the results down to hard work and dedication.

nevada said:
brownbobby said:
nevada said:

doesn't appear to be any history other tha 4th cat a couple of yrs ago and elite licence obtained in March this year.

Doesn't compute. Elite is 300 points in the previous season while holding a 1st cat or elite licence or top 10 in the Elite mens XC MTB series.

nevada said:
brownbobby said:
nevada said:

Don't they all... :D

He puts the results down to hard work and dedication.[/quote]

Don't they all... :D[/quote]

Yep, it's fun to bash the old guys...I was one for quite a few years. I remember winning one big race in my age group by 15 minutes and you know those guys I beat had a field day with that one!

Aside from driving myself and my wife crazy with the dedication it took for such a pointless endeavor, the backstabbing did bother me some as well. Guys just don't want to accept that talent is the biggest part of the equation for success in the sport.

When I was a kid, I used to think the differences between guys I raced with all boiled down to dedication. It wasn't until I coached much later in life that I realized that most guys were just plain slow, it didn't matter how much work they did or how dedicated they were.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Pontiac said:

Don't they all... :D[/quote]

Yep, it's fun to bash the old guys...I was one for quite a few years. I remember winning one big race in my age group by 15 minutes and you know those guys I beat had a field day with that one!

Aside from driving myself and my wife crazy with the dedication it took for such a pointless endeavor, the backstabbing did bother me some as well. Guys just don't want to accept that talent is the biggest part of the equation for success in the sport.

When I was a kid, I used to think the differences between guys I raced with all boiled down to dedication. It wasn't until I coached much later in life that I realized that most guys were just plain slow, it didn't matter how much work they did or how dedicated they were.[/quote]

These aren't age related. This is someone dropping some of the best UK talent.

yaco said:
This targetting of 'weekend warriors' is not just an issue in cycling, but across most sports - I have no idea why Amateur type sports or the amateur part of BIGGER sports are members of the WADA Code - This is the world gone crazy but plays into the hands of NADO's who receive credit for busting 'weekend warriors' who are hardly at the cutting edge of professional cycling.
To be fair, this is part of an initiative sought by members of USAC, who put in place a levy on masters/amateur race entry fees and licences to fund the testing of masters/amateurs as well as ways to provide intelligence for better targeting.
https://www.usacycling.org/resources/race-clean

Alex Simmons/RST said:
yaco said:
To be fair, this is part of an initiative sought by members of USAC, who put in place a levy on masters/amateur race entry fees and licences to fund the testing of masters/amateurs as well as ways to provide intelligence for better targeting.

You're absolutely right, this was something that came about because so many members were upset with the doping going on with their fellow racers. But keep in mind that we are dealing with amateurs and masters, a segment of the sport that no one follows but the participants themselves.

I am not sure it does anything to solve the overall image and problem in the sport, but as pointed out it does give the NADO's ammunition to continue getting their funding from the lawmakers and ultimately the tax payers.

42x16ss said:
Pontiac said:

This is why I like the Euro based pros coming home over the Australian summer - it reminds people where they really sit in the bigger picture.

I've now forgotten the name of the guy, 'chopper' maybe?...some guy that made a fortune selling books about his time as a tough guy in.........................er......Brisbane :D

"you rock around and think that you're toughest in the world, the whole wide world. But your streets away from where it gets the roughest" as someone once sang :)

Alex Simmons/RST said:
yaco said:

That's fine - But do the NADO's need to get involved ? I understand NADO's get to collect funding from unlikely sources which helps their budgets, they get to boost the numbers of AAF's but one car argue it's a waste of resources that could be redirected to investigate HIGH LEVEL doping - I am certain the WADA Code wasn't set up to catch these kind of athletes.

yaco said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
yaco said:

That's fine - But do the NADO's need to get involved ? I understand NADO's get to collect funding from unlikely sources which helps their budgets, they get to boost the numbers of AAF's but one car argue it's a waste of resources that could be redirected to investigate HIGH LEVEL doping - I am certain the WADA Code wasn't set up to catch these kind of athletes.
It's a marginal gain for a NADA/O.

They are getting paid to do more work which brings the cost per unit of work down due of efficiencies of scale (e.g. overheads spread across a greater revenue base). Plus you might be able to keep a well trained expert resource on the books and available to deal with "important" anti-doping matters when they are needed, while their otherwise idle time is used dealing with "less important" but well funded work.

More opportunity to do quality assurance, more opportunity to train people in the processes, more opportunity to refine policy, more opportunity to lobby for better political and resource support, better interaction and sharing with other NADA/Os, perhaps even be able to afford additional expertise, fund more research and so on. It's only down side I can see is if it were diverting resources away from "important" anti-doping work, but I don't see how the extra funding results in that.

I would argue it's a no gain for the NADO's. keep in mind the title of this thread focuses on "Idiots" and that's just how I and many others who raced as old guys feel about the issue. I was never upset about my peers doping, really just incredulous that they would even consider doing it for a boost in such an egotistical pursuit.

I think the issue really boils down to what the point of having the NADO's is.

Are we looking to make to sport 100% clean of all doping at the top level? If so, is that even a realistic goal, given that I don't think any major professional sport can make that claim, nor will they ever. Or are we looking to do what other major sports do with their anti doping efforts, which is use it as a small part of creating whatever image they need to in order to promote their sport and make it more popular and lucrative for all the participants.

This is what FIFA, the NFL, MLB or any other major sport does. The difference is they all have very powerful organizations that control the money. Yet cycling has a very ineffective UCI that controls next to nothing. The power in our sport resides with ASO, so when German TV pulls out of covering the TDF for a few years and they lose the broadcast fees over doping issues......guess what happens. ASO puts the pressure on everyone to clean things up and that filters down to the NADO's who then look for everything they can to show they are doing the job and that includes busting the "idiots" and gaining a few more points.

As I mentioned earlier looking at USADA's test results since 2016, said it all for me and on top of that chasing after Horner......6 tests in 2018 alone for a guy who isn't racing anything? That just smacks of a personal vendetta by Travis, he's still pissed about that "rider 16" and not busting him from his big report years ago.

What really gets me is the hypocrisy of it all.....here you have ASO who is the real power in the sport, pontificating to us about the doping issues and carrying on about Froome, when you could make the argument that doping in the sport would not even exist without the TDF! We all know the history right from the start of the event and all that has gone on for each and every year since then.

TRENDING THREADS