• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Todays idiot masters fattie doper

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sorry! Messed up the multi quote. I meant Pontiac's grudge...

A grudge?? I never really thought of it like that. I just think he's blowing his own horn a bit much without really accomplishing anything to speak of. His whole big claim to fame was put in his lap by Floyd.

The sport has enough problems without guys like him adding to it. If he would just put his head down and do the work without sounding off all the time, I'd have a lot more respect for him. I don't know what all the noise was a few months ago about WADA and the UCI. Maybe someone can comment on that, I just thought why the heck is he even saying anything, especially if as you said his domain is the US.

A grudge?? I never really thought of it like that. I just think he's blowing his own horn a bit much without really accomplishing anything to speak of. His whole big claim to fame was put in his lap by Floyd.

The sport has enough problems without guys like him adding to it. If he would just put his head down and do the work without sounding off all the time, I'd have a lot more respect for him. I don't know what all the noise was a few months ago about WADA and the UCI. Maybe someone can comment on that, I just thought why the heck is he even saying anything, especially if as you said his domain is the US.
Remember Balco? He was part of that, too. USADA took alot of flack for that until people realized that MLB and USA Track and Field was a dopefest. Armstrong was using Weisel and company to lobby US Senators and other luminaries in an attempt to get them to look the other way. Without a little press USADA's investigation would have been relegated to an unfunded, quiet corner and we'd still be living with the consequences. Give him some credit.

Remember Balco? He was part of that, too. USADA took alot of flack for that until people realized that MLB and USA Track and Field was a dopefest. Armstrong was using Weisel and company to lobby US Senators and other luminaries in an attempt to get them to look the other way. Without a little press USADA's investigation would have been relegated to an unfunded, quiet corner and we'd still be living with the consequences. Give him some credit.

OK, well touche.....I had forgotten about the Balco stuff....but wasn't that more the Jeff Novitsky guy digging around and not giving up? And then, at the end of the day didn't the government drop the Balco stuff along with the LA lawsuit?...just seems to show the public's lack of concern about doping in pro sports.....it's like the Europeans attitude about doping in cycling...."yeah, well so what"...sort of how most of us feel about the NFL or MLB here in the states. That's where the disconnect is for me, Travis being all gung ho and serious and the rest of us being meh..... I know I am biased by the years I spent over there, what at first shocked me as a kid, has become more of an attitude and shrug of the shoulders, like many of the fans over there feel.

I sure hope it cleans up, it such a great sport. But this whole masters thing and doping really is beyond belief for me, I can see the kids trying to make a living at it getting into it, but us old guys??? And then so much time and effort being devoted to it by USADA....I know you guys say it is easy pickings for them, but still.....

OK, well touche.....I had forgotten about the Balco stuff....but wasn't that more the Jeff Novitsky guy digging around and not giving up? And then, at the end of the day didn't the government drop the Balco stuff along with the LA lawsuit?...just seems to show the public's lack of concern about doping in pro sports.....it's like the Europeans attitude about doping in cycling...."yeah, well so what"...sort of how most of us feel about the NFL or MLB here in the states. That's where the disconnect is for me, Travis being all gung ho and serious and the rest of us being meh..... I know I am biased by the years I spent over there, what at first shocked me as a kid, has become more of an attitude and shrug of the shoulders, like many of the fans over there feel.

I sure hope it cleans up, it such a great sport. But this whole masters thing and doping really is beyond belief for me, I can see the kids trying to make a living at it getting into it, but us old guys??? And then so much time and effort being devoted to it by USADA....I know you guys say it is easy pickings for them, but still.....

It's a way for NADO's to justify their funding - WADA was set up in response to the Festina Affair in 1998 - It's aim was to investigate doping in professional and Olympic sports - How it 'jumped the shark' to 'weekend warriors' is a joke, as well as, artificially inflating the success of NADO's

Reactions: jmdirt
It's a way for NADO's to justify their funding - WADA was set up in response to the Festina Affair in 1998 - It's aim was to investigate doping in professional and Olympic sports - How it 'jumped the shark' to 'weekend warriors' is a joke, as well as, artificially inflating the success of NADO's

That's a sobering thought, that in 23 years since Festina...which let's not forget was a car load of several hundreds doses of various illegal things, that over the past 2 years we caught and nailed 15 old guys here in the states with USADA, which was an offshoot of WADA. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Back in the '70's I remember the testing always seemed to be the national cycling federations, it was always a little dodgy.....sometimes in Italy or France they would just hand you a beaker to pee in and let you would go into a stall, no one watching...guys would hide those little TA flasks in their shorts and pour it in the beaker. A buddy of mine was so nervous he spilled half his pee on the floor (it was actually my pee) and they never noticed....when the DS of the pro team heard about it, he was delighted that the guy had the balls to do that!

I always wondered if it was more of an intimidation thing, just try to scare the guys into not doping. I think they just threw the stuff out most of the time. There were only a handful of tests I did where they made me pull my shorts down and pull up my jersey and then sit there and watch. Hard to let it fly when they are doing that!

Reactions: yaco

portillo.jpg

portillo.jpg
This guy is 48? He better back the juice regimen down a bit or he won't live long enough to explain how it happened. By the Way: I've patently refused to ride Gran Fondos because of the needle-d*ck cheaters that infest what should be a fun ride. His picture with the WC jersey colors is the capper on the crapper, too.

Wow, just wow! It's just unbelievable the need for approval with some of these guys.

I followed the TDF, just the highlights at night and couldn't help find myself thinking.........maybe, just maybe these guys are clean and this is the real deal finally.

Has the doping left the pro ranks and now it's all guys like this nut?

I spent my career as a kid dealing with it, then figured as an old guy it was ok to get back into it and now we have stuff like this. The last straw for me, as a 60+ guy was those nationals and our buddy getting popped for 3 things. I said to myself enough of this. It was my last race and that was 2013.

Now I just say a prayer that I don't get tempted to come back and race the 80+ stuff....lol!

I can understand why masters racing has dropped off the face of the earth.

Legend in his own mind! I'm not sure which is worse this version of stravasshole or the guy barreling down a singletrack with faint concern for uphill mountain bikers or hikers or equestrians, all of whom, including the stravasshole have earbuds in both ears and are blissfully ignorant of the existence of any of the others. But I live in LA it might be different in other places.

This guy is 48? He better back the juice regimen down a bit or he won't live long enough to explain how it happened. By the Way: I've patently refused to ride Gran Fondos because of the needle-d*ck cheaters that infest what should be a fun ride. His picture with the WC jersey colors is the capper on the crapper, too.
Like this times 1,000

Similarly, I now avoid the Fondo scene. Far dirtier than the road racing scene, oh the irony!

Reactions: joe_papp
Wow, just wow! It's just unbelievable the need for approval with some of these guys.

I followed the TDF, just the highlights at night and couldn't help find myself thinking.........maybe, just maybe these guys are clean and this is the real deal finally.

Has the doping left the pro ranks and now it's all guys like this nut?

I spent my career as a kid dealing with it, then figured as an old guy it was ok to get back into it and now we have stuff like this. The last straw for me, as a 60+ guy was those nationals and our buddy getting popped for 3 things. I said to myself enough of this. It was my last race and that was 2013.

Now I just say a prayer that I don't get tempted to come back and race the 80+ stuff....lol!

I can understand why masters racing has dropped off the face of the earth.
Just to answer a rhetorical question I think you had, no doping has not left the pro peloton. But it sure gives you a sense of how deeply embedded it must be if idiots dope to win strava segments, local crits, and fondos. Seen it first hand. Just add massive $$ to be had in the pro world and it all goes away right? Lolz.

Reactions: Nick2413
Just to answer a rhetorical question I think you had, no doping has not left the pro peloton. But it sure gives you a sense of how deeply embedded it must be if idiots dope to win strava segments, local crits, and fondos. Seen it first hand. Just add massive $$ to be had in the pro world and it all goes away right? Lolz.
I know, I know......but like any fan of the sport, I have those moments where you want to believe the best is possible!

Legend in his own mind! I'm not sure which is worse this version of stravasshole or the guy barreling down a singletrack with faint concern for uphill mountain bikers or hikers or equestrians, all of whom, including the stravasshole have earbuds in both ears and are blissfully ignorant of the existence of any of the others. But I live in LA it might be different in other places.
It's not just LA but the self-love that leads to that type of "competitor" seems to be more obvious in California.

I know, I know......but like any fan of the sport, I have those moments where you want to believe the best is possible!
Me too! I think that is one of the reasons I still post sometimes. I don't stop watching the sport or racing myself, I still enjoy it. But I hope for better. I find the bigger races like the Tour often just make me shake my head and they are less and less interesting, but there is still so much more to watch and be involved in. I certainly take hope that the folks coming up in the sport where I live are perhaps less likely to dope because it is discussed more openly and addressed. That does not mean it does not happen, but it gives me hope it is much less than when I was young and entering the sport.

Reactions: Cookster15
Me too! I think that is one of the reasons I still post sometimes. I don't stop watching the sport or racing myself, I still enjoy it. But I hope for better. I find the bigger races like the Tour often just make me shake my head and they are less and less interesting, but there is still so much more to watch and be involved in. I certainly take hope that the folks coming up in the sport where I live are perhaps less likely to dope because it is discussed more openly and addressed. That does not mean it does not happen, but it gives me hope it is much less than when I was young and entering the sport.
Yep, once it gets in your blood it doesn't let go.........I was talking with an old racing buddy a few months back and was telling him...."I don't know what the eff is wrong with me....I haven't raced for years and yet everyday I have to check out the cycling websites and see what's going on! It's nuts!" He laughed and laughed said, "I do the same thing!"

Yep, once it gets in your blood it doesn't let go.........I was talking with an old racing buddy a few months back and was telling him...."I don't know what the eff is wrong with me....I haven't raced for years and yet everyday I have to check out the cycling websites and see what's going on! It's nuts!" He laughed and laughed said, "I do the same thing!"
As you get older alot of subjects will lead you to the same internal question.

TRENDING THREADS