• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom Danielson

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I saw this reference about Tommy D. (a hypothetical about Stage 3 and 4 of this years Tour of California):

Quote from Jonathan Vaughters
... and maybe our own Tom Danielson will split the race to pieces

and started to hypothetically laugh.

What's the deal with Tom Danielson? All bark, no bite? No bark, no bite? No bark, some bite? I've exhausted my hypothetical idioms.

He tries. A lot. But the results of his efforts are often less than stellar.

Discuss. Throw in hypotheticals. I've always liked that word, hypothetical.

tifosa said:
I saw this reference about Tommy D. (a hypothetical about Stage 3 and 4 of this years Tour of California):

Quote from Jonathan Vaughters
... and maybe our own Tom Danielson will split the race to pieces

and started to hypothetically laugh.

What's the deal with Tom Danielson? All bark, no bite? No bark, no bite? No bark, some bite? I've exhausted my hypothetical idioms.

He tries. A lot. But the results of his efforts are often less than stellar.

Discuss. Throw in hypotheticals. I've always liked that word, hypothetical.

Tom Danielson can do GREAT in short tours like the ToC. In fact, he can flat out win them.

But, anything above ~2 weeks and he DNFs with an illness. He'll never be a good GT rider, but never count him out for the short stuff.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
iliveonnitro said:
Tom Danielson can do GREAT in short tours like the ToC. In fact, he can flat out win them.

But, anything above ~2 weeks and he DNFs with an illness. He'll never be a good GT rider, but never count him out for the short stuff.

If TD stays upright the TOC is a perfect race for him.

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
I've got a soft spot for TD as his a local.....but I really think he's a training day hero....he will never go big. His got the tools just not the heart.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
here is a hypothetical:

good coffee, bad legs

or

bad coffee, good legs.

the guy has more hill climb records than Jan Ullrich has hot dinners tho.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
here is a hypothetical:

good coffee, bad legs

I'm thinking more like:

great coffee, bad digestion; T.D. always seems to come down with intestinal ailments, stomach bugs, food poisoning, etc.

I'd like him to do well. Of course, I'd like world peace too.

Don't be hatin' on my man, Tommy D. This will be his season. Of course I said that last year and the year before, but if I keep making the prediction then I will eventually be right...or he will finally retire and fade into obscurity.

TD could win the ToC if he is in "on". With the Z-Man talking about possible victory for himself, it sounds like Garmin is targeting the race.

If TD is doing California instead of the Giro then he will probably do the Tour. Perfect for smacking down Wiggins.

Dec 2, 2009
Visit site
Granted, he hasn't produced the results that journalists and commentators have expected, whether via illness or injury or something else. Was he overhyped as the next US star? Yes. Might that have something to do with his less-than-stellar performance? Who knows. If he's still working for the win, I'm still on his side.
This is your year Tom. Let's go.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Remember the Discovery/Postal/whateverthehellitwas team promotion with T.D. wearing a superman-like cape?

WTF were they thinking?

drb716 said:
Granted, he hasn't produced the results that journalists and commentators have expected, whether via illness or injury or something else. Was he overhyped as the next US star? Yes. Might that have something to do with his less-than-stellar performance? Who knows. If he's still working for the win, I'm still on his side.
This is your year Tom. Let's go.

Agreed. He was way overhyped as the heir apparent of Lance's Royal Throne. Methinks he couldn't handle the pressure of being the Next Lance. Not to mention the stint at Fasso Bortolo at the beginning of his career probably didn't help him.

Vaughters believes in him, and, maybe, he could be this year's CVV and Wiggo.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...vaughters-on-the-enigmatic-tom-danielson.html

"Jonathan, I have discovered that you have one of the most talented riders in the world on your team. His values are incredible, like Contador. He can win some very big races, I am sure."

I assumed he was talking about Christian Vande Velde, but he soon corrected me.

"No, Tom Danielson. You must be very careful with this rider, he has an incredible engine. He is so very talented."

That being said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Believing in Tom Danielson is like believing in hope.

Oh, wait a minute, they've both been done before.

It's consistency and results (not independent of each other) that I look for in a cyclist. TD is lacking.

Epicycle said:
He's never been the same since he left Ferrari. I know this isn't the Clinic but it's impossible to overlook that.

+1 It just goes to show the benefits of being on a team with a program. TD went from having the potential to win a GT to barely being able to finish a race.

If there is any truth to the passport reducing the gap between doped an undoped riders then we may see some better results from TD.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
+1 It just goes to show the benefits of being on a team with a program. TD went from having the potential to win a GT to barely being able to finish a race.

If there is any truth to the passport reducing the gap between doped an undoped riders then we may see some better results from TD.

He has talent and has been overhyped. The common consensus is the type of resiliency necessary to go three weeks into the red zone is known at an earlier age, unfortunately for TD. The harsh judgements are unnecessary, I think; what with alot of potential candidates for success in the GT's this year. I would love to see him wipe the smirk off the RS squad at TofC and if he has any potential that level of revenge would go a long way to confirm it.

iliveonnitro said:

Nitro got it in the first response on this thread. TD is a one-week hilly stage racer and a good one. What he has failed at is targeting races that he is well suited for. He's repeatedly over-reached in going after the Grand Tours and flamed out sick in week 2.5 or 3.

If he would target the Dauphine, Tour de Suisse, TOC, etc. he could still earn some nice palmares before it's time for him to hang it up.

Oldman said:
He has talent and has been overhyped. The common consensus is the type of resiliency necessary to go three weeks into the red zone is known at an earlier age, unfortunately for TD. The harsh judgements are unnecessary, I think; what with alot of potential candidates for success in the GT's this year. I would love to see him wipe the smirk off the RS squad at TofC and if he has any potential that level of revenge would go a long way to confirm it.

Yep, Discovery greatly over-hyped him as the GT heir to Lance and since he couldn't live up to those lofty expectations he gets perenially beaten down as a failure.

This is all about "managing expections" as business d-bags like myself would say. TD needs a new approach to his personal marketing where he sets expectations for hilly one-week stage races. I hope he does.

VeloFidelis said:
But he's still better than you EVER were... Right??

Just checking

Wow awesome personal attack there VF. RR tips TD to win the TOC but apparently he didn't put enough man-love into his comment for your tastes so you run with a personal attack on him out of nowhere.

Well played, nutjob. If I say "TD is hawt" will you not flame me?

May 7, 2009
Visit site
I am still a fan, but never did like the "next Lance" moniker placed on TD.
If I were TD, I would lower my public profile and target a race like TOC and come out with guns blazing.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
If he would target the Dauphine, Tour de Suisse, TOC, etc. he could still earn some nice palmares before it's time for him to hang it up.

Yeah, he stands a good chance at hitting the podium on these shorter stage races and that would boost the palmares and jack up his confidence too. RR said it tho (and don't flame me VF), buddy has to keep the rubber on the pavement to win.