• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

I saw there wasn't one yet, somehow.

Another ITT win under the belt and within 19 seconds of a win in a Tour de Suisse with the Rettenbachferner. I think he should remain focussed on the ITT's, and just take the Tours who happen to have a long time trial as nice extra once they pop up.

Hope he doesn't get the idea to suddenly start focussing on becoming the next Zubeldia

Dekker_Tifosi said:
gunara said:
A big one-week stage race win would be nice before his records begin to contain too many near misses.
Which is logical because he is effectively not really a stage racer

But not everyone who wins one-week race is really stage racer. With the right route and some luck he's got enough to win some, he's got the balance alright to win almost every current world tour one-week race, except Catalunya and Dauphine maybe.

I just hope he doesn't get the pressure of being the new Dutch grand tour star, because I fear he can't fulfill that incrusted expectations.

That said: What about Lars van der Haar? That guy seems to be pretty talented, although I have to admit that I got no insight regarding cyclocross at all. With 1.69m and 59kg he looks perfectly buildet to get developed into a smooth climbers like Rasmussen or Aru. Any chance that might happen? Because Giant is mainly putting him in flat races so far and he's still very ambitious about cyclocross as well.

Re:

staubsauger said:
I just hope he doesn't get the pressure of being the new Dutch grand tour star, because I fear he can't fulfill that incrusted expectations.

That said: What about Lars van der Haar? That guy seems to be pretty talented, although I have to admit that I got no insight regarding cyclocross at all. With 1.69m and 59kg he looks perfectly buildet to get developed into a smooth climbers like Rasmussen or Aru. Any chance that might happen? Because Giant is mainly putting him in flat races so far and he's still very ambitious about cyclocross as well.

Van der Haar has a major thing against him though

He's Dutch

He said he just wasn't good enough. He felt bad before the TT started, but thought that he could win at 90%. Obviously he could not.
Halfway he knew he had to go faster to win, but he simply couldn't. He also added that the competition was better then last year and that the 3 lotto guys simply rode a great TT.
Kelderman averaged above 51km/h on a 53TT. Not sure if that is brilliNt tbh.

Kelderman was really happy with the jersey, but had no problem to admit that Dumoulin probably didnt have a good day.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

jmdirt said:
jens_attacks said:
i hope he will crush wiggo's hour in two years time

In two years the record won't be Sir Wiggio's! :D I hope that Tom gets the record this fall!

I agree with others that I hope he follows a Fabio C. & Tony M. path and doesn't try to become a GT GC guy.

Entirely agree. The next Spartacus.

TRENDING THREADS