• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm seeing many people who still consider Dumoulin the favorite as they expect Yates to falter (I don't).
Personally in that case I'd have to consider Pozzovivo and Pinot as well, as from what I've seen I think they could potentially gain back their TT losses in the final mountain stages.
Dumo really has to ride a magnificent TT and hope his form gets just a little better... if Yates gets worse, even better for him but if Pinot, Pozzovivo, Superman and even Carapaz start attacking him Dumo could be in trouble.

I'd say a podium would be a great result as well, it'd confirm he can hold his own on a course that doesn't really suit him. But I guess once you've won it, everything less than a win is a bad result for some. I'm interested in his interview, whether he'll sound more defeated or he'll continue to fight for it.

I really think people have too high expectations.

After 2 weeks, with plenty of tough mountain stages and only 9km of ITT, he's been ahead of all big pre-race favorites. Which was not expected, you'd expect he'd be behind Lopez, Froome, Pinot, Pozzo before the 34km TT. But he's actually ahead.

The only anomaly is Yates being 2 levels better than anyone.
People are too critical. He's doing better than expected against everyone else, but Yates is simply here and being awesome

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I'm seeing many people who still consider Dumoulin the favorite as they expect Yates to falter (I don't).
Personally in that case I'd have to consider Pozzovivo and Pinot as well, as from what I've seen I think they could potentially gain back their TT losses in the final mountain stages.
Dumo really has to ride a magnificent TT and hope his form gets just a little better... if Yates gets worse, even better for him but if Pinot, Pozzovivo, Superman and even Carapaz start attacking him Dumo could be in trouble.

Flo- by the end of the ITT, Dumo will distance Pozzo, Pinot, Carapaz & Superman by a large margin, regardless what they might be able to do on the last week.

The "anomaly" reminds SYates whose performance has been above and beyond any reasonable expectation, now heading to the ITT with a 2 minutes gap cushion and on "extraterrestrial form"....... That's the anomaly.
Dumo has performed superbly so far, all within his riding style & capabilities- yet he's 2nd....

we'll see...

Re:

LaFlorecita said:

Depends on how they will ride on Finestre, I think. If they replicate Simoni, di Luca and Rujano from 2005 then things can get really hard for Tom, but maybe it's unrealistic. Let's wait for the showdown with patience.

He's reacting is fantastic once again.

"Yates says I can close the two minutes gap in the time trial? I really couldn't care less at the moment. I'm totally done today. I had to go so deep on the climb Yates attacked to stay with the others fout..

Oh well, in the end it doesn't matter anyway, because we were f*cking around in the pursuit. I think would have lost far less time on my own. But because of the bullshitting of others I lose more time today. Pinot did some turns. Pozzovivo did a few weak turns, but that was it. But I get them, it's normal. That is racing and that makes the race nice.

It was my job to adapt my tactics and that's what I did. When they started attacking I just rode my time trial to the finish, that's why I came back to them in the end. But there was nothing I could do about Yates. He was far and away the strongest.
He attacked so hard. It was insane. I didn't even think for a fraction to follow that attack. To win the Giro something crazy must happen now. I always said I will keep on fighting and I'm certainly going to do that. But first there's a restday and then we'll see."

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Oh well, in the end it doesn't matter anyway, because we were f*cking around in the pursuit. I think would have lost far less time on my own. But because of the bullshitting of others I lose more time today. Pinot did some turns. Pozzovivo did a few weak turns, but that was it. But I get them, it's normal. That is racing and that makes the race nice.

"
This is really lame; he should take responsibility for his own actions. If it would have been quicker to ride by himself then he should have done that. He's the only one of them that has any realistic chance of catching Yates, but instead of focusing solely on that, he was too concerned about the podium battle.

Re:

roundabout said:
Fantastic?

Sounds like he is reverting to his last year's self. He is the best time trialist and the closest on GC in the group so he really should have done more sooner if he really thinks that he would have been faster by himself.
Yeah, there are definitely echoes of last year's 'Big Mouth Tom'. I'm guessing he's still adjusting to being one of the big favourites and the burden/responsibilites that come with that. Most riders just aren't going to co-operate with him in many situations - particularly when there is still a big TT to come in the race.

DFA123 said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

"
This is really lame; he should take responsibility for his own actions. If it would have been quicker to ride by himself then he should have done that. He's the only one of them that has any realistic chance of catching Yates, but instead of focusing solely on that, he was too concerned about the podium battle.
I see what you're getting at and you're right, but he said that on the penultimate climb he went too deep and had to recover a bit so he hoped there would be some help from the others, but he doesn't blame them for f*cking around. Although he said with a smile on his face that him coming back to the group was due to them f*cking around as well without him.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Oh well, in the end it doesn't matter anyway, because we were f*cking around in the pursuit. I think would have lost far less time on my own. But because of the bullshitting of others I lose more time today. Pinot did some turns. Pozzovivo did a few weak turns, but that was it. But I get them, it's normal. That is racing and that makes the race nice."

Arrogance usually isn't a good thing. He may well spark possible alliance between them if he shows weakness next week. He should really think a bit more before he talks the talk.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

"Yates says I can close the two minutes gap in the time trial? I really couldn't care less at the moment. I'm totally done today. I had to go so deep on the climb Yates attacked to stay with the others fout..

It was my job to adapt my tactics and that's what I did. When they started attacking I just rode my time trial to the finish, that's why I came back to them in the end. But there was nothing I could do about Yates. He was far and away the strongest.
He attacked so hard. It was insane. I didn't even think for a fraction to follow that attack. To win the Giro something crazy must happen now. I always said I will keep on fighting and I'm certainly going to do that. But first there's a restday and then we'll see."

It's far from fantastic. He should thank Pozzo and Pinot though, not for their work, but for stupidity.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Seeing Dumoulin doing an okayish job at limiting his time losses on the Zonc and today's very tricky stage with a long multi-climb finale, I think Dumoulin would have had a good chance on a more balanced route, even against such a strong Yates.

He disappointed me today. He only started riding when he was alone.
Champions like Nibali and Contador would've started pulling earlier. So what if there's a chance they jump you in the end? There was only one rider that really mattered, and that was Yates. Now I feel like he gifted him another 20-30 seconds.

Dekker_Tifosi said:

Very high and mighty for the guy telling people to take turns after staring at their arses all the way up the climb. No one was giving Yates turns.

TRENDING THREADS