• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

Page 128 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
If anyone can combine it's him. I mean this season was already crazy with Giro + Tour + Worlds.

Tour + Olympics sounds like a vacation to him

Yeah, he already showed how to achieve a great result in a lot of important races in a season without actually winning any of them. I mean he is very good but does it worth risking another double silver instead of one big win? I'm not convinced. This year's results are more than fine but as his career progresses I'm sure he would prefer more wins in fewer races than a ton of second and third places however respectable that achievement is.

Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
If anyone can combine it's him. I mean this season was already crazy with Giro + Tour + Worlds.

Tour + Olympics sounds like a vacation to him

Tom dreams of olympic gold. Olympics were bigger for him than the tour when he grew up. He allready said that in 2016'
He didn't see himself as a maillot jaune contender yet at that time, so I guess TdF surely has priority now. But like others have stated I think it's possible to combine the two in 2020.

https://nos.nl/artikel/2254727-dumoulin-carriere-ook-geslaagd-als-ik-tour-niet-win.html

long interview with dumoulin on dutch tv. Most of it is in the textual part as well (you could use google translate for english).
What I find funny is when they ask him if he read the interview with Sky about Froome's prep for Finestre stage with refueling plan everywhere people from Sky with food.
The reaction, he laughs and says "marketing talk"... "They think they are unique in doing that? We do exactly the same... "

Another 'unique Sky selling point' exposed as BS every team does

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
https://nos.nl/artikel/2254727-dumoulin-carriere-ook-geslaagd-als-ik-tour-niet-win.html

long interview with dumoulin on dutch tv. Most of it is in the textual part as well (you could use google translate for english).
What I find funny is when they ask him if he read the interview with Sky about Froome's prep for Finestre stage with refueling plan everywhere people from Sky with food.
The reaction, he laughs and says "marketing talk"... "They think they are unique in doing that? We do exactly the same... "

Another 'unique Sky selling point' exposed as BS every team does

when they said they were the only team to do it????

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
They really sold it as something special. Like they made one grand plan for the Froome escape.

Dumoulin said every team is doing the same when they plan something like that, and if they don't it's amateurish. The way Sky sell it as something special is total bs.

So, it's just feelings, your feelings about how they explained the stage ???? Team Sunweb knew that Froome would attack (in their video before this stage), so you might wonder what Team Sunweb had planned.

Re:

Red Rick said:
https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/nieuws/algemeen-nieuws/197514/kamp-dumoulin-reageert-snel-op-lokroep-giro-in-principe-willen-we-naar-de-tour

Sunweb saying the plan is still to go to the Tour with Dumoulin.

Seems they were lying about waiting for the routes to come out

Can't blame Tom. Still needs a few more podiums in Le Tour to realize he can't beat whoever Sky decides to win in France.

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:
https://www.indeleiderstrui.nl/nieuws/algemeen-nieuws/197514/kamp-dumoulin-reageert-snel-op-lokroep-giro-in-principe-willen-we-naar-de-tour

Can't blame Tom. Still needs a few more podiums in Le Tour to realize he can't beat whoever Sky decides to win in France.
Received a phone call from Sicily, saying it's up to him wether the voodoo is in his favour or not next year.

Red Rick said:
Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

Received a phone call from Sicily, saying it's up to him wether the voodoo is in his favour or not next year.

He has already beaten Nibali and the Toilet Gods once at the Giro, maybe the voodoo doesn't work on everyone. As for the Tour that was just unusually bad voodoo for Nibali. Someone will have to pay in 2019. Richie is already reading up on White Magic.

Rollthedice said:
Red Rick said:

If he goes to Sky, he will surely take home a couple more Grand Tours, probably more than he would elsewhere, but does he want to?

I don't think it's that similar. Back then, Armstrong was just ultra superior, often winning by 5-7 minutes. Beating him was completely unrealistic.

Dumoulin and Roglic could be very close to Froome and Thomas who are not individually that superior to their rivals.

Re:

tobydawq said:
I don't think it's that similar. Back then, Armstrong was just ultra superior, often winning by 5-7 minutes. Beating him was completely unrealistic.

Dumoulin and Roglic could be very close to Froome and Thomas who are not individually that superior to their rivals.
There were also more TTT back then or the gaps from TTT were bigger, iirc. Making it only worse for the competition.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
tobydawq said:

There were also more TTT back then or the gaps from TTT were bigger, iirc. Making it only worse for the competition.

Yeah, but US Postal didn't win it that often. Only once as far as I recall (Discovery Channel also won in 2005). At least ONCE and Crédit Agricole also won in those years, and I don't think there was one every year (there was definitely not one in 1999).

Plus they implemented the glorious ceiling of how many seconds you could lose if you were second, third, fourth, etc.

Edit: I checked, and there were team time trials in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2005. ONCE won in 2000 and 2002, Crédit Agricole in 2001 and US Postal/Discovery Channel in 2004 and 2005.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, the TTT didnt matter one bit in terms of who won the race. Armstrong was superior to Ullrich, Beloki etc. every year outside of 2003.
That's not what he's saying imo. Who won the TTT doesn't matter because USP still created a big gap with the teams of Ulrich, Basso, Beloki... even if USP didn't win the TTT. We weren't debating if Armstrong was better or not, but whyy the time gaps were so much bigger than in recent tours.

Logic-is-your-friend said:
Valv.Piti said:
Yeah, the TTT didnt matter one bit in terms of who won the race. Armstrong was superior to Ullrich, Beloki etc. every year outside of 2003.
That's not what he's saying imo. Who won the TTT doesn't matter because USP still created a big gap with the teams of Ulrich, Basso, Beloki... even if USP didn't win the TTT. We weren't debating if Armstrong was better or not, but whyy the time gaps were so much bigger than in recent tours.
Not that much time tbh. Beloki was always on great teams, Basso only was a contender in 04 and 05 and they didnt really lose time there. CSC was super strong in that discipline. If i remember correctly Ullrich never lost massive amounts of time and in the end, it was totally irrelevant as Armstrong just obliterated him on the first MTF of the race and from that point on, pretty much, there was never any doubt of who would win (Ullrich certainly wouldnt).

TRENDING THREADS