• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
recovered from infected saddle sore, olympic test event today, and then canada and usa world cups the following two weekends, fits nicely into his other commitments in the usa, like last year.

probably indicates a similar cyclo-cross start and season to last year, maybe a little later as doesn't have the rainbows to show off. I think he'll do the worlds this year, although tabor isn't great for him? might be his last opportunity. + he already won strade this year so doesn't need to be in top form early march.

Reactions: Sandisfan
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...nes-and-olympic-games-mtb-and-road-race-combo
“The intention is for Tom to participate in both mountain biking and road racing in Paris," Pidcock's coach Kurt Bogaerts told Het Nieuwsblad. “His ambition is Olympic gold again. The road ride is a little more complicated, but it's a good thing that the mountain biking is already over. The explosiveness of that discipline can come in handy in the road race.” This comes as virtual certainty that the plan for INEOS Grenadiers is to have the Briton race both events at the Olympic Games and aim high for both.

CX schedule:

X20 Herentals
WC Namur
WC Antwerpen + Mdvp/WvA
WC Gavere + Mdvp/WvA
SP Diegem + Mdvp
WC Hulst + Mdvp/WvA
X2O Koksijde + Mdvp/WvA
Gullegem
WC Zonhoven + Mdvp/WvA?
WC Benidorm + Mdvp/WvA?

bit surprised he's doing so many sand crosses, and not Baal. Had hoped he'd do the nationals for one last time, but must be a ineos camp or something.
At least he has avoided the other two on three of his events. Makes him more likely to get something other than 3rd.

Yesterday:

414007499_18402868210050416_6292871620483223730_n.jpg

Today:

415122170_18402944086050416_7745079946108101143_n.jpg

Yeah, he turned greyscale overnight...

I've got it into my head that I read somewhere that he won't be doing any MTB World Cup races before the Olympics?

Someone please correct me.
He won't. Specifically decided to do the world cups in North America last year in order to get the best ranking possible that would allow him to skip the spring world cups and get the best possible preparation for the Tour.

Ranking and start order isn't as vital in the Olympics as it is in the world championships anyway. Much easier to get away with a lower starting row due to way less participants.

He won't. Specifically decided to do the world cups in North America last year in order to get the best ranking possible that would allow him to skip the spring world cups and get the best possible preparation for the Tour.

Ranking and start order isn't as vital in the Olympics as it is in the world championships anyway. Much easier to get away with a lower starting row due to way less participants.

The request was clearly to correct, not to  confirm...

He actually mentioned it in his RBTV interview with Rob & Eliot, which was in between Snowshoe & Mont Saint Anne. They both looked surprised; Really???

As DNP-Old explained, he's a decent amount of ranking points (currently ranked 9/10) and with the Olympic being a small field, he won't be inconvenienced; he's won from last place in a XCC, and has come from way back in XCO races to the front......it won't be a problem.
From memory, he didn't think much of the course - and neither did Jolanda.....

Thanks for the replies. As much as I enjoy watching Pidcock on an MTB bike, he hasn't got anything left to prove in that discipline, and it complicates his road season too much. Ideally, he'll step away from it until the next Olympic cycle.

Surprised to see he's focussing so much on The TDF already with a very light classics campaign till The Ardennes (and no Strade, yet). Given his schedule, would really like to see him ride the Italian Fall races as they seem perfect for him?