• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Brilliant ride by Pidcock. He seems to be progressing, way better on Puy de Dome than on Marie Blanque.

Next step I want to see is him being top 5 among GC riders on a really hard mountain stage late in the race. It is here I still have some question marks. But again, he seems to be getting stronger and stronger. :)

Go Tom!

Reactions: xo 1
Getting better and better. The climbing talent was always there but I was getting a bit skeptical he could become a GC rider. Now it seems more likely. Still a question mark over three weeks but he is clearly better than last year.
Last year he was also 7th after 9 stages. Even still in 8th after 13 stages.
Better preparation now, less effort in breakaway(s). I'm hoping he can hold this for 3 weeks, after his performance on Puy de Dome.

It's an especially remarkable ride from a guy who's also capable of winning extreme, short anaerobic races. Even Wout can't climb from the GC contenders like pidcock has shown so far.
I did wonder if a relatively short effort after an easy day suited him, but multiple mountains in the third week may be too much. Love him either way, especially his brutally honest interviews

He can threaten Hindley IF he can hold this level into the 3rd week and do a decent TT. But that also depends upon Hindley who I expect to get better.

But hats off to Pocock so far. He won me over with that descent of the Galibier last year. I also recall people writing off his GC potential - prematurely I say. Reminds me of the doubt Remco used to cop.

Last year he was also 7th after 9 stages. Even still in 8th after 13 stages.
Technically true but last year there hadn't been an all out mountain stage effort until stage 11 (where he lost almost 10 minutes and finished 15th of the GC group).
And then he re-entered the top10 thanks to the Alpe d'Huez breakaway win.

Compare the gaps of the top10 after the first week. In 2022 the 10th rider in GC was a little over 2 minutes behind. Now he's almost 7 minutes behind. The racing has been exhausting and only elite climbers are in the current top10.

Of course he might still crack and finish an hour down like last year but so far he seems a much better (and more consistent) climber compared to 12 months ago.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm on the "Pidcock focussing 100% on road cycling and being a gc rider" hype train.
He's doing what Skjelmose was supposed to do. They are quite similar riders, most likely both of them is best suited for the hard one day races. Don't think he will ever win TdF, but he can get damn close and he has really been surprising me.

Loze will tell us, I suspect he will lose a good chunk of time there, but so will lots of othe riders

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's doing what Skjelmose was supposed to do. They are quite similar riders, most likely both of them is best suited for the hard one day races. Don't think he will ever win TdF, but he can get damn close and he has really been surprising me.

Loze will tell us, I suspect he will lose a good chunk of time there, but so will lots of othe riders
Might not win a Tour, but I can see him winning another gt/getting a Tour podium. We also need a crazy descender among the gc guys to replace Nibali.

Reactions: Lui98