• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think Ineos and most teams are v keen on getting most young riders a grand tour in their legs early to improve development (especially the vuelta as it is more relaxed), most talk about feeling stronger the next year because of it. So while I agree it is disappointing he in missing lots of potential opportunities to win in the World Cups/Championship hopefully he will come back next year after a full classics season to spend time preparing for the worlds.

I think Ineos and most teams are v keen on getting most young riders a grand tour in their legs early to improve development (especially the vuelta as it is more relaxed), most talk about feeling stronger the next year because of it.

This is what Evenepoel should have done too. Progressive overload before Vuelta in training and B-races and short term overreach in B-stage race (Vuelta for building future). It's excellent training block as season ends and it doesn't that way do much harm to be a bit wrecked. But it makes big structural changes for the future.

provisional schedule:

14 Aug-5 Sept: Vuelta a España
26 Sept: Road Worlds
10-17 Oct: CX World Cup in USA - Waterloo, Fayetteville (same course as worlds) and Iowa City.

- CX through to November (probs up to Koksijde on 21 Nov), then a break, before restarting in the build up the big christmas races and CX worlds.

So potentially no roubaix and definitely no nationals (17 oct).

Bit of an update....

Will race on the road up until the Worlds but then have rehab on his knee due to a bit of tendonitis.

So no USA CX races and will now start in December, with a 'heavy schedule' up to the worlds in late January.

Looking further into next year after a bit of a break - classics season, potentially the Giro and then the full remaining schedule of the XC mtb season (including worlds).

Bit of an update....

Will race on the road up until the Worlds but then have rehab on his knee due to a bit of tendonitis.

So no USA CX races and will now start in December, with a 'heavy schedule' up to the worlds in late January.

Looking further into next year after a bit of a break - classics season, potentially the Giro and then the full remaining schedule of the XC mtb season (including worlds).
Combining the Giro with a heavy CX schedule and the classics sounds overly ambitious. I can't imagine him performing too well then in the Giro.

Bit of an update....

So no road cycling after the Giro (or at least in the fall), or did I not read that correctly? That would be disappointing, but of course there's still a year until then...

Combining the Giro with a heavy CX schedule and the classics sounds overly ambitious. I can't imagine him performing too well then in the Giro.

I can't really either....I feel like he is wanting to try every event and it is up to his team to allow him a schedule that lets him perform to his maximum in most events. I'd give him a break after flanders/roubaix, full full mtb schedule and nationals/ToB/fall classics.

Completely agree. I can't see him riding a GT competitively until after the next Olympics. So until then they're just a huge pointless block out of his season. Better off trying to fit in a WT stage race or two, which he hasn't ridden yet.

I'm just a bit disappointed he isn't at least trying PR, now that it wouldn't make any difference to his CX season build-up

TRENDING THREADS