• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I‘m almost sure that Pidcock cannot be beaten at Cyclocross Worlds next Sunday. He is in good shape, and normally should be stronger than Iserbyt and his fellow Belgians plus van der Haar.

Pidcock is an amazing rider. Still young, and almost as strong as Wout van Aert… :)

Wout and Mathieu don‘t do Worlds, so it‘s Pidcocks chance…
Spot on…

Clipboard.jpg

Question.... If he did that at the finishing line at a WT race would he be disqualified-> Well it is the UCI and they might. o_O:(:mad:

P.S. It would be an illegal position on the bike by the rules superman position is illegal.

Question.... If he did that at the finishing line at a WT race would he be disqualified-> Well it is the UCI and they might. o_O:(:mad:

P.S. It would be an illegal position on the bike by the rules superman position is illegal.
While it is an illegal position, there would a clause in the fine print of the UCI language saying "adopting said position in the benefit of performance" which allows them to basically go from 0 to 1 or anywhere in between in their decision which they donot make.
illegal position - Banned irrespective of perf due to strict language interpretation
illegal position but no perf benefit - Not banned.
illegal position but some perf benefit - not banned as perf benefit yet to be proven in race circumstances

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Spot on…

Thank you, much appreciated :)

He‘s now Olympic Champion and World Champion in bike racing, aged 22 - clearly an exceptional athlete.

I think he sometimes is a little bit underestimated, due to the fact that there are MVDP and WVA as his main opponents. I noticed how strong he really is when he was a millimetre or so behind Wout in last year‘s Amstel.

Pidcock seems to be good for the world of cycling. Best thing is that he has pleasure racing all year long. :) He races 10-11 months a year, whereas in the past, there were cycling stars like Jan Ullrich who only raced for four months (April-Juli)…

Thankfully common sense prevailed, even though he may have contravened UCI Rule 1.3.008: The rider shall normally assume a sitting position on the the bicycle. This position requires that the only points of support are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the handlebars and the seat on the saddle.

Note there is no specific penalty indicated for riders not adhering to said rule and "normally" was not defined.

(Edit: rule 1.3.023 does allow elbow rests for time trials and pursuits)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Thankfully common sense prevailed, even though he may have contravened UCI Rule 1.3.008: The rider shall normally assume a sitting position on the the bicycle. This position requires that the only points of support are the following: the feet on the pedals, the hands on the handlebars and the seat on the saddle.

Note there is no specific penalty indicated for riders not adhering to said rule and "normally" was not defined.

Well last year they DQF some riders who forgot puppy paws were illegal.

• Love

Standing in the pedals is illegal now?

• Wow
I'd imagine to keep him he's allowed to create his own race program...calling the shots on which races he lines up for. Whether that be Road, CX or MTB. He also has an out to not ride any slow Pinarello MTBs in his contract.
Well he can't ride any slow pinarello mtbs let alone fast pinarello mtbs as they still dont appear to make one. Maybe we'll see a prototype one this season as I wouldn't expect a brand like pinarello to be too happy that an olympic champion on a team sponsored by them isn't riding one of their bikes.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Well he can't ride any slow pinarello mtbs let alone fast pinarello mtbs as they still dont appear to make one. Maybe we'll see a prototype one this season as I wouldn't expect a brand like pinarello to be too happy that an olympic champion on a team sponsored by them isn't riding one of their bikes.
Not sure Pinarello can make a light weight XC race bike. They like to put too many heavy curves in their carbon frames...style over function.

I've wondered if we'd see a Pinarello MTB bike; as already said, they've missed out on a shed load of publicity. Even now we're seeing Trek promoting Jolanda's Supercaliber with gold touches, etc
And whilst we all know he was on a BMC, they can't really cash in, as it was 'unmarked/blacked out'.
I don't think Pinarello need to enter the MTB market, they are doing extremely well off road and gravel sales at the moment. Tom will sell Pinarello because he's winning road and cx races on a Pinarello the same as WVA wins cx & road on a Cervelo. It's marketing a brand, not a specific model/type of bike. Pinarello did develop Tom the Crossista F to replace the Specialized Crux and he's World Champion on it, so can't get much better ROI than that!

I'd think Pinarello's MTB market share would be pretty small too off Pidcock anyway, it didn't work last time they tried MTB models. It would be like Santa Cruz trying to sell a road bike, there's just no tradition or branding in that market for them, so better to just do what you do best. Pinarello I doubt would be advised to take on Specialized or Trek MTB anyway, their game isn't the low end of the market like those two brands.

I'd think Pinarello's MTB market share would be pretty small too off Pidcock anyway, it didn't work last time they tried MTB models anyway. It would be like Santa Cruz trying to sell a road bike, there's just no tradition or brand in that market for them so just do what you do best. Pinarello I doubt would be advised to take on Specialized or Trek, their game isn't the low end of the market like their brands.
Well Santa Cruz have no reason to sell one since they're owned by the same group that has Cervelo, Focus, and now also Cannondale and GT.

TRENDING THREADS