• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Doesn't take much more than 1m14s to go flying into the abyss.

Yea, I am sure his employer will be very happy when they see this video :D.

Red Bull on the other hand...
625.jpg

Enoy some Pidcock's descending skills. Thing of beauty.

View: https://www.youtube.com/embed/99wJn5QBvyg
Of course Pidcock's a fan of this guy's videos. His gravel stuff is cool but some of the things he does on open roads around unpredictable cars can be hard to watch at times. I remember seeing a video with him and some obnoxious and possibly even crazier fixie guy supertucking on fixed gear bikes through heavy traffic in Mexico City- feet off the pedals, legs wrapped around the top tube. His skills and reflexes are incredible, but he also has to be nuts.

I get that this is dangerous. That pedal strike at 1:14 is a split second from a Froome-esque career defining disaster - or worse. But if you think too much about the possible consequences you won't be a great descender.

I can't help but be impressed by the skill. The reflexes and judgement is difficult to comprehend. But for an analogy, the best sprinters are also quite nuts, so where do we draw the line? Personally, I find this video even more impressive than Tom's Galibier descent in the TdF, although TBH I only saw snippets of that on YouTube.

ps - That guy who filmed from behind with his GoPro was equally nuts.

Reactions: postmanhat
He clip his inside pedal on a corner that is not even faster to pedal through and alsmost crash himself. Top descender shouldn't do that.
Not sure why you think this? Top descenders take risks and push to the limits. In some ways this is similar to motor racing or the fastest lap times at Nürburgring for example. Those guys make errors too setting record lap times because they are at the limits. F1 drivers make small errors all the time.

Not sure why you think this? Top descenders take risks and push to the limits. In some ways this is similar to motor racing or the fastest lap times at Nürburgring for example. Those guys make errors too setting record lap times because they are at the limits. F1 drivers make small errors all the time.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSpgRIVw78

Watching the guy who was following do it slightly faster makes Pidcock's run look relatively sedate and controlled. Apart from that one moment he didn't take it right to the limit on any corners or supertuck through curves further down.

Strong on the tarmac today but much less so on the cobbled climbs. Just seems like he’s too light to win these races and needs to drop them from his calendar.
It's hard for light riders to be able to put enough pressure not to slid your wheels when trying to generate power. Especially when it 's wet that could be an issue. On the other hand, maybe it's a technique, because i don't think Alaphilippe for instance weighs a lot more, and he seems to have no issues there.

TRENDING THREADS