• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

tommy d

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
Looks like he's going good again...
Vuelta a Burgos ONLINE Stage 4: Victoria Danielson and leadership. TOP 10. TOP 10.

Etapa 4: Stage 4:
1. 1. Tom Danielson (Garmin) 17:09 Tom Danielson (Garmin) 17:09
2. 2. Danny Pate (Garmin) a 10 Danny Pate (Garmin) 10
3. 3. Alexei Markov (Katusha) a 16 Alexei Markov (Katusha) 16
4. 4. Alejandro Valverde (Caisse) a 18 Alejandro Valverde (Caisse) 18
5. 5. Lieuwe Westra (Vancansoleil) a 22 Lieuwe Westra (Vancansoleil) 22
6. 6. Luis Pasamontes (Caisse) a 23 Luis Pasamontes (Caisse) to 23
7. 7. Xavier Tondo (Andalucía) a 24 Xavier Tondo (Andalusia) to 24
8. 8. Simon Gerrans (Cervelo) a 29 Simon Gerrans (Cervelo) 29
9. 9. Gustavo C. Gustavo C. Veloso (Xacobeo) a 32 Veloso (Xacobeo) 32
10. 10. Stefano Garzelli (Acqua) a 33 Stefano Garzelli (Acqua) 33

General: General:
1. 1. Tom Danielson (Garmin) Tom Danielson (Garmin)
2. 2. Danny Pate (Garmin) a 4 Danny Pate (Garmin) to 4
3. 3. Alejandro Valverde (Caisse) a 5 Alejandro Valverde (Caisse) to 5
4. 4. Xavier Tondo (Andalucía) a 18 Xavier Tondo (Andalusia) to 18
5. 5. Stefano Garzelli (Acqua) a 26 Stefano Garzelli (Acqua) 26

Tommy D is an up and coming rider from the Garmin-Slipstream-Chipote-H20 plus several other sponsors team.

In a few years when he matures he could turn into a useful rider. Good on him. Does anyone know his age? I think he's about 22-23?

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
the prodigal son returns!

it will be very interesting to see if tommy d can hold some of this form and do something in the vuelta

A good TT result, but before getting too carried away with the Vuelta let's see what happens tomorrow.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
DirtRoadie said:
A good TT result, but before getting too carried away with the Vuelta let's see what happens tomorrow.

I agree. And what is tomorrow's stage like? The top riders are still pretty close together, so almost anything could happen.

thehog said:
Tommy D is an up and coming rider from the Garmin-Slipstream-Chipote-H20 plus several other sponsors team.

In a few years when he matures he could turn into a useful rider. Good on him. Does anyone know his age? I think he's about 22-23?

More like 31-32 I think.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
I was riding with a buddy today who knows Tommy. Said he has been living like a monk and putting in some serious hours in Boulder. He sees this years Vuelta as his last chance. He has finished top 10 before, you never know.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
For anyone who is a fan of Danielson, or any other cyclist for that matter, there is a hilarious video on You-Tube. In the video, Danielson has just won, or is about to win, another edition of the Mt. Evans Hill Climb. A dork reporter asks him if he would attack a race if his mother were in the peleton. Danielson's response to the dork question is a classic. He manages to keep his composure, represent professional athletics with class, and put the reporter in her place all at the same time. Check it out!

David Suro said:
For anyone who is a fan of Danielson, or any other cyclist for that matter, there is a hilarious video on You-Tube. In the video, Danielson has just won, or is about to win, another edition of the Mt. Evans Hill Climb. A dork reporter asks him if he would attack a race if his mother were in the peleton. Danielson's response to the dork question is a classic. He manages to keep his composure, represent professional athletics with class, and put the reporter in her place all at the same time. Check it out!

gotta link for us?:cool:

Thoughtforfood said:
Bro will be THRILLED!!!

Hey, I actually turned myself into a Tommy D. supporter...sort of...he just always disappoints. I was predicting he would do a decent Giro and place in the top twenty-five. That did not work out so well. He did manage to finish, which is a big step up for his more recent performances.

I will now go out on a limb and predict a top fifteen in the Vuelta.

A

Anonymous

Eva Maria said:
I was riding with a buddy today who knows Tommy. Said he has been living like a monk and putting in some serious hours in Boulder. He sees this years Vuelta as his last chance. He has finished top 10 before, you never know.

Hey Eva,

Just curious. I have liked Tommy D since the Saturn days tearng it up with Horner and O'Neil... but I'm a little surprised you have not castigated him after the picture you posted of TD with Dr. Evil.

What gives?

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

lol, sometimes you have some good ones.:D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Hey, I actually turned myself into a Tommy D. supporter...sort of...he just always disappoints. I was predicting he would do a decent Giro and place in the top twenty-five. That did not work out so well. He did manage to finish, which is a big step up for his more recent performances.

I will now go out on a limb and predict a top fifteen in the Vuelta.

Very ambitous predictions there (jokes). Seriously he could flop or fly at the vuelta. Hope he does well.

P.S.When i first saw tommy d i thought the thread was about tommy dekker:rolleyes:

Tommy D is on crack. Listen to him take on Valv.Piti:

VN: Talk us through the final climbing stage on the Lagunas climb…

TD: I knew Valverde is one of the best in the business in the last kilometer steeps. There’s no one who’s better than him, so I knew I couldn’t allow him to be totally fresh in that final kilometer. My goals were to try to isolate him from his team and then to try to see how he was in the climb. If we were evenly matched, then I would try to use the other guys in the race to make him work to make him more tired than me in the final kilometer. From the race book that we studied before, it looked like it was steep all the way to the finish, but we found out with 2km to go was dead flat. It got steep again in the final kilometer, but I didn’t know this or expect this. I attacked with 3km to go.

I dropped Rodriguez and isolated Valverde, and I thought I would drive this all the way to the finish, so if he drops me, he’s the strongest man. Then I turned the corner, and bam, it was flat, almost downhill. Then I had to think fast and make a decision on how I could do this. (Xavier) Tondo (Andalucia Cajasur) got back on, so I thought, why don’t I swing off and make Valverde chase Tondo? Valverde just looked at me, he said, 'there goes your race.'

'No,' I said, 'there goes your race!'

VN: Wait, did you speak in Spanish? Did he finally go?

TD: I think he spoke to me in Spanish and I spoke to him in English. I was pretty focused on the race at that moment. We had a little argument and then we basically coasted until 1km to go. That flat section was not what I wanted at all, but exactly what he needed. He jumped me hard, with maybe 500-600m to go, he did one of his Super-Valverde, SuperMan jumps and he gapped me. I went as hard as I could. That part of the climb was so steep, it looked like I was close to him and that gave me motivation. He has more high-end power than I do, but when it’s that steep, my lightness allows me to stay at the same velocity going uphill. With 200m to go, the gradient went down, it went from 12-15 percent to 6 percent, and as soon as it did that, his phenomenal power showed and he just took off. I did everything I could to keep it within those five seconds. It was close, but he’s one of the best guys in a finish like that.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:

sells some freaky good coffee, and holds lots of mountain climbing records, like Mt Doodelbum.

gotta say, I do miss Kristin's corner.

bags_grouped_fullsize.jpg

tom_with_coffee.jpg

blackcat said:
gotta say, I do miss Kristin's corner.

He's married to Stephanie now. Bit of a looker.

Kristin has been banished after she sited the doping on Tom's webpage blog that went on at Discovery. She blames Bruyneel for Tommy's stomach infections. She reckon's it wasn't his blood.

Obviously its been pulled down now but if anyone can do that Google cache thing its an interesting read.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
He's married to Stephanie now. Bit of a looker.

Kristin has been banished after she sited the doping on Tom's webpage blog that went on at Discovery. She blames Bruyneel for Tommy's stomach infections. She reckon's it wasn't his blood.

Obviously its been pulled down now but if anyone can do that Google cache thing its an interesting read.

Ok, I tried to search this, but without success. Can you provide a link or more details?
Thanks…
(I think you can link to cached webpages, can’t you?)

TRENDING THREADS