• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tone deaf award of the month for Cadel

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Cadel recently did an interview after the tour of oman, it's on the front of this site, and in it he came out with this gem.

"Cycling is very intense and so some time away gives you perspective and lets you reflect about how you do your job, how you handle the physical and the mental approach, all the factors that go into your performance. The new energy helps you go back and make thinks better. Guys like Lance Armstrong and Laurent Jalabert came back as better riders after they took a break.

I hope the same happens to me."

Seriously, Cadel? Seriously?

I know some of the Wiggins and Froome interviews send people bananas around here, and sometimes rightfully so, lets be honest, but this, this takes some beating for sheer tone deafness, surely?

i dont get how Cadel can have been clean (as all his fans say) and feel totally impartial to all the people who by doping essentially stopped him from being the best rider of all time. Because of them he now goes down merely as a top 5 rider of his generation. And he is ok with this? Its not like he is otherwise known for his forgiving nature.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Ferminal said:
You'd be happier if he just lied outright and jumped on the "Lance never existed in the sport" bandwagon?

I'd be happier if he didn't use Lance as an exemplar he seeks to mimic!

Lance existed not = Lance is to be copied!!

Seriously folks, if Wiggins said something like that, or Froome, or Berti, frankly, people here would be needing CPR to deal with the convulsions brought on by the apoplexy. And I like cadel...

martinvickers said:
Seriously folks, if Wiggins said something like that, or Froome, or Berti, frankly, people here would be needing CPR to deal with the convulsions brought on by the apoplexy. And I like cadel...

yes, the absence of some people who would be first in line to do so with Wiggins in condeming this quote from Cadel is notable. One must be consistent on these things.

Ill give them the benefit of the doubt for a few more hours that they havent seen the thread yet.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Just read the interview, thought this 'low impact' virus that made him under perform for most of last season was suspect, then he said that.

It's all very well not to try to delete Armstrong from the annuls of the sport, but to aspire to 'recover' like him from an illness given the current climate is a Wiggins's sized gaff and then some

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Surprised to read Evan's open his mouth and put his foot in it.

But Evans is a doper. Look at his palmares.

I don't care if Evans shoots cocaine in his eyeballs in front of an audience 1 - it's still an incredibly tone deaf, stupid thin to say!

1. Obviously I care, since I want doping eradicated, it's a figure of speech...

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Just read the interview, thought this 'low impact' virus that made him under perform for most of last season was suspect, then he said that.

It's all very well not to try to delete Armstrong from the annuls of the sport, but to aspire to 'recover' like him from an illness given the current climate is a Wiggins's sized gaff and then some

Wiggins says stuff that is seriously stupid in hindsight, or in the heat of a rant. this was code red stupid, right now, in the calm of a post race interview.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:
Wiggins says stuff that is seriously stupid in hindsight, or in the heat of a rant. this was code red stupid, right now, in the calm of a post race interview.

I agree: he smashed it out of the park. I wonder what the interviewer thought as he said it

Ferminal said:
People don't look at Ullrich's veiled admission as a stupid comment.

Unless you are Dan Benson

Cyclist says something stupid about doping. In other news, bears found ****ting in the woods and Pope revealed to be Catholic.

Now, if the interviewer had stamped on the squeaky voiced junkie's dog...

Ferminal said:
Well it's true and sums up his situation well.

++

It may tie in with this also:

TheGame said:
Tejay and Evans. BMC did not dope this year. They received strict instructions last September to lay off. Ochs concerned about the USADA investigation.

...though I don't believe that BMC were clean last year, but rather, not nearly as dirty. It makes sense that they got a warning.

Then there were Cadel's "not normal" comments re: Wiggo and Sky.

I also liked the fact that Evans was somewhat disappointed with his performance in Oman. "I was hoping for a little bit more."

Ferminal said:
People don't look at Ullrich's veiled admission as a stupid comment.
The purpose of Ullrich's statement was to make an unexplicit confession and to allow those who knew anything about cycling to put 1 and 1 together. Now, if Evans intended to let people infer that he's a doper without actually having to say it himself, then yes, I agree: his statement wasn't stupid.

But I seriously doubt that's what Evans intended.

TRENDING THREADS