• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin Bandwagon thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Tony Martin reach a Top Ten overall finish at this year's Tour de France

• Hell No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Jun 29, 2010
www.goodforthegame.co.za
Parrulo said:
are you still using 10 posts per page? you are insane

i can't imagine my life without 40 per page :p

Thanks goodness I saw this, never knew you could change settings and 10 thread pages had me on the brink of suicide.

I took some 8/1 Martin would Top 10 so here is hoping!

Libertine Seguros said:
So, we're supposed to give him props because his team have asked him to waste energy for the sprints? Or are we supposed to give him props because he hasn't cracked like an egg on the totally flat stages we've had so far?

I don't quite understand?

Tony said he wasn't asked by the team, but he chose to help his teammates. His team would have allowed him to rest more, but he wants to fight alongside his teammates. Gotta love that.
Plus it proofs what a multidimesional rider he is. Very few GC riders could worrk for their team like this.

Well, we'll see what effect it has on his GC aspirations when we get to the point at which the GC shakeups actually happen. So far, GC-wise, he has:
- avoided getting in the first of two crashes on day 1
- been in a good TTT
- nothing else

Tony is a very good rider, but giving mad props out to him at this point in the race is as premature as saying Evans is suddenly the favourite.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Very few GC riders could worrk for their team like this.

Nobody serious about his GC chances would do something like that. Because it is just a waste of energy. You are either a helper or a GC rider, can't do both at the same time. By choosing to help his team, Martin is basically admitting he isn't a GC rider (yet).

Dutchsmurf said:
Nobody serious about his GC chances would do something like that. Because it is just a waste of energy. You are either a helper or a GC rider, can't do both at the same time. By choosing to help his team, Martin is basically admitting he isn't a GC rider (yet).

Ullrich was often riding in the sprint trains too in 1997-1998.
(I know it were different time back then, but still)

Dutchsmurf said:

from another point of view this help him to stay always in the front at the end of the stages, and he was never involved in crash... if this waste of energy brings one minute in front of Contador, S. Sanchez and others, I think that is welcome.

Bavarianrider said:
Of course personally he hasn't accomplished anything in this Tour yet.
But he has worked a lot for his team and showed encouraged riding in the finals. Very few star riders would be as unselfish

André Greipel in this very race? Thor Hushovd?

To pick some other examples from recent memory:
Vincenzo Nibali for Ivan Basso, 2010 Giro
Joaquím Rodríguez for Alejandro Valverde, more or less everywhere in 2008 and 2009
Kim Kirchen for Mark Cavendish, 2008 Tour
Fabian Cancellara for Andy Schleck, regularly
Peter Velits for Mark Cavendish, 2010 Vuelta
Alessandro Petacchi for Danilo di Luca, 2009 Giro

Libertine Seguros said:

Joaquím Rodríguez for Alejandro Valverde, more or less everywhere in 2008 and 2009

Exceptions verify the rule ;):D

Libertine Seguros said:

Alberto Contador for Richie Porte tour de France 2011 :D

A

Anonymous

Bavarianrider said:
Tony looks great. Seems that he timed his form perfectly. :D

And did you forsee all these crashes while you were making this thread?