• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin Bandwagon thread

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Tony Martin reach a Top Ten overall finish at this year's Tour de France

• Hell No

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Wherever he goes he will be a work horse because he can't sprint or climb with the best. So he is good for the TTT and the ITT, is very experienced and strong and sometimes if he is allowed to sneak away he could get a stage win. He never seemed too interested in the classics although he usually worked for others. His best TT days seem to be behind him. A good buy for Katusha.

With his new team:

bram-berkien-team-jumbo-visma-presentatie-2018-12-21-14.53.28-kopie.jpg

Du9kl_hXgAoKLlz.jpg

Source: https://www.teamjumbovisma.com/longread/news/cheery-christmas-for-ambitious-team-jumbo-visma/

Re:

Lequack said:
Tony Martin's first win in over 2 years (basically all his time in Katusha), excluding the national ITT. So it's definitely a good morale booster for him.

I think you're right. It's not only a great morale boost for him, but for the whole team (and especially the newcomers). I heard a post race interview with De Plus, he was really happy. As well for himself as for the whole team.

I'm starting to see the old Tony Martin again. He's definitely going to be playing a big role in Jumbo-Visma's tactics this year and they seem to be actually understanding how to use him in the team. The team also shares his passion for time trials, Katusha not so much.

Re:

Cinemaniak said:
I'm starting to see the old Tony Martin again. He's definitely going to be playing a big role in Jumbo-Visma's tactics this year and they seem to be actually understanding how to use him in the team. The team also shares his passion for time trials, Katusha not so much.

Yeah he seems happier definitely. Finishing today's climb:
D0kv5KKX0AAQ3VF.jpg:large

D0kuQcUXQAE4xLC.jpg:large

Found this interview with him from 2 weeks ago (in German):
https://www.dw.com/de/tony-martin-ein-f%C3%BCnfter-wm-sieg-ist-machbar/a-48300078

Google translated:
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dw.com%2Fde%2Ftony-martin-ein-f%25C3%25BCnfter-wm-sieg-ist-machbar%2Fa-48300078

"After rather disappointing years at Katusha-Alpecin, Tony Martin ventures a fresh start at Team Jumbo-Visma with almost 34 years. And that leads him back to his roots, explains the professional cyclist in the DW interview."

A little bit sad that he isn´t racing for himself anymore but I guess he prefers a good contract and less pressure over a bigger role on a worse team. Modern race design isn´t doing him any favors any way. No more long and flat TTs. No WC this year and the TT in Tokyo next year (if the olympics aren´t cancelled again) is really difficult.
Would be more fun if he would use his engine in a breakaway but I guess he will do the usual 150km TT at the front of the peleton. If he is at the top of his game JV won´t need anyone else to control the breakaways on flat stages.

A little bit sad that he isn´t racing for himself anymore but I guess he prefers a good contract and less pressure over a bigger role on a worse team. Modern race design isn´t doing him any favors any way. No more long and flat TTs. No WC this year and the TT in Tokyo next year (if the olympics aren´t cancelled again) is really difficult.
Would be more fun if he would use his engine in a breakaway but I guess he will do the usual 150km TT at the front of the peleton. If he is at the top of his game JV won´t need anyone else to control the breakaways on flat stages.

Okay, let's not pretend he has the same quality as six years ago.

TRENDING THREADS