• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tools for square Bottom Bracket

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I need a new crankset and a new bottom bracket for a hybrid city bike so I need to take out the old ones. I already removed the cranks (by force) but I need to buy separate tools to remove the BB since the tools that I use for my road bikes' BBs don't match. The BB is a square (Square taper) one.

I know that I need a 20 tooth bottom bracket tool like this:
http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=25&item=BBT-22

but what else would I need to open and take off the bottom bracket?

Also, what kind of tools are needed to assemble a Hollowtech BB and a Shimano Deore Hollowtech MTB crankset? I'm going to buy those for the bike since I think that Hollowtech II cracks & BB would be too expensive for it.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for your answers!

I added a crank puller to the shoplist and decided to order a Shimano UN26 BB and a FC M-443 crankset to replace the old ones. They should be compatible with each other but I couldn't be 100% sure so I asked the store to check it out.

TRENDING THREADS