• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Was looking online at some bicycling tool kits that are availiable. I remember the Park tools always being the ones you would see in bicycle shops, but wow they are expensive. $200-300 for a 37 item tool kit. Are Park tools worth it or are there some other brands out there that do the job just as well for a much cheaper price.
I eventaully want to get a nice set of tools, but don't know if its worth it to buy Park when they aren't going to be getting used every day.
Also would be curious to find out what tools you guys have in the garage and what you might carry with you in your bag if any.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
I don't like to buy stuff that will eventually breaks. Even tough they aren't used as frequently as in a bike shop, I use my tools a lot and I need to be able to rely on them.

Also, my dad always told me to buy good tools that will lasts instead of sh!tty tools that will make you swear!!!

Park is the standard by which all others are judged. However, you may be better off just buying a few specific park tools for high use jobs. And then filling out the rest of the box with cheaper tools. Never skimp on cable cutters or a chain tool.

Black Dog said:
Park is the standard by which all others are judged. However, you may be better off just buying a few specific park tools for high use jobs. And then filling out the rest of the box with cheaper tools. Never skimp on cable cutters or a chain tool.

+1 This works for me

And it seems like every time I upgrade some kit I need a new 'special' tool (I have a whole box full of these now redundant widgets) :)

Black Dog said:

Park are fine tools but for things like cutters and mills, there are better, longer lasting tools than Park. Var, Cyclus, Cobra, Campagnolo to name a few. Pedros makes some really nice hand tools as well.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
And it seems like every time I upgrade some kit I need a new 'special' tool (I have a whole box full of these now redundant widgets) :)

that sucks big time huh! I wish they would standardise these new additions a bit, so that you could use older tools as well. Protecting the market and trying to make profit?

I didn't know much about the toolbrands in the US when I moved here, so I decided to go with Park. I only bought a couple of bike specific tools that I needed, like a chain tool, a pedal wrench (mostly because it's easier than a reg wrench when you pedals are really tight), a hand tool, a chainwhip and cassette cog. Later I found some really cheap old fashioned (non-click) torque wrenches. No need to buy everything at once.

Other tools like screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers, etc. are quite possibly already lying around in your garage anyway...

Nevermind said:
Since I work in a bike shop, I tend to forget about online shopping. :rolleyes:

Every Pedro's tool I've seen in a shop was more expensive then it's Park Tool counterpart.

We don't sell park stuff if there is a pedros alternative because I think they are better consumer level hand tools. Bit more expensive but if ya look in Quality(not sure if you use them up north), they are about the same at wholesale, maybe a buck more for a cone wrench, for instance. More expensive but not wildly so, IMO.