• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 current cyclists

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Umm that is kind of all season;)

Observe how Cancellaras diet consists of minor long hillyish classic - MSR, Cobbled hilly classics, pure cobbled classics, then Time Trials/ mountains if TDS is easy enough, then domestiquing on mountains - July, then pure hills - World Road race.

Im sure he wouldnt have these off periods if he was doing just hills hills and hills;)

It's really not all season, it's 3 major events spread over a season. That's something totally different. He's no Armstrong or Andy Schleck, that's for sure. But he's no Gilbert in this one either. And how can you say Gilbert just does hills hills hills? He rides every classic except Roubaix.

I just get the feeling that after Paris-Roubaix Cancellara stops caring for a while. It's as if he feels too good to try and win a race called the Tour of Luxembourg for example.

Based on the CQ Ranking
Last 3 years (2009-2011):
Contador Velasco Alberto
Gilbert Philippe
Evans Cadel
Rodriguez Oliver Joaquin
Sanchez Gonzalez Samuel
Cancellara Fabian
Cavendish Mark
Nibali Vincenzo
Boasson Hagen Edvald
Greipel Andre

Last year (2011):
Gilbert Philippe
Contador Velasco Alberto
Rodriguez Oliver Joaquin
Evans Cadel
Voeckler Thomas
Martin Tony
Sagan Peter
Sanchez Gonzalez Samuel
Cavendish Mark
Scarponi Michele

1. Alberto Contador
2. Cadel Evans
3. Philippe Gilbert
4. Fabian Cancellara
5. Tony Martin
6. Vincenzo Nibali
7. Robert Gesink
8. Peter Sagan
9. Edvald Boasson Hagen
10. Mark Cavendish

Note: If Alejandro Valverde would be competing, he'll be somewhere on the list.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
for the last 3 seasons

1. Contador
2. Cancellara
3. Gilbert
4. Cav
5. Evans
6. Tony Martin
7. Nibali
8. Hushovd
9. Scarponi
10. Menchov

uhmm 11. Purito
and how do i forget about Andy?
Andy at 6th and Menchov outta there

El Pistolero said:
Who are the current top ten of cycling according to you? Let's not just base this on this season alone, but the last 3 seasons to get a broader picture and no one season wonders. And if you want you can also list the best top 10 cyclists of this season.

Here's my list based on last 3 seasons:

1. Alberto Contador
2. Philippe Gilbert
3. Fabian Cancellara
4. Cadel Evans
5. Mark Cavendish
6. Tony Martin
7. Thor Hushovd
8. Vinokourov
9. Vincenzo Nibali
10. Samuel Sanchez

Tough to go past the top 5. I'd maybe swap Cancellara and Gilbert, at least until the end of 2012.

From there I'd probably go:

6. Rodriguez
7. Samu
8. EBH
9. Greipel
10. Martin

For 2011 I'd probably go:

1. Gilbert
2. Evans
3. Contador
4. Martin
5. Rodriguez
6. Cancellara
7. Voeckler
8. Sagan
9. Samu
10. Andy

Well, it's difficult to compare different type of cyclists, but i'll give it at shot.

1. Alberto Contador
2. Phillipe Gilbert
3. Fabian Cancellara
4. Mark Cavendish
5. Andy Schleck
6. Cadel Evans
7. Vincenzo Nibali
8. Samuel Sanchez
9. Joaquin Rodriguez
10. Thor Hushovd

I choose lo leave out Tony Martin because i mean that all the best cyclists in the world should be either: a) able to reach the podium in a grand tour, or b) fight for a win in one of the monuments. Martin may be the best time trialist in the world, but i don't believe that he is a real contender for the GT or the monuments.

The same goes for a rider like EBH, great in one day and one-week races, but still not a real contender for the monuments.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
It's the sort of thing that is incredibly subjective, and also affected by the diversity of different riders, ie. climber/sprinter/all rounder etc.

For what it's worth, my top 10 (for this year and in no particular order) would be
Contador
Evans
Gilbert
Martin
Wiggins
Cavendish
Voeckler
Sagan
Hushovd
Kittel

Made this list and then realised that I had no Cancellara. This is because, by his high standards, he had a disappointing season. Kittel is admittedly a bit left field, but think he had a good breakthrough year, and is a young sprinter with a lot of potential.

Don't get all this man crush for A Schleck.
Swans around in the bus, or at the rear of the peloton for most of the season and turns up for a few weeks in July.

This year:
Gilbert
Contador
Evans
Cavendish
Sagan
Voeckler
Rodriguez
EBH
Sanchez
Kittel

3 years:
Contador
Gilbert
Nibali
Cancellara
Evans
Cavendish
Sanchez
Rodriguez
EBH
Scarponi

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
OlavEH said:
Well, it's difficult to compare different type of cyclists, but i'll give it at shot.

1. Alberto Contador
2. Phillipe Gilbert
3. Fabian Cancellara
4. Mark Cavendish
5. Andy Schleck
6. Cadel Evans
7. Vincenzo Nibali
8. Samuel Sanchez
9. Joaquin Rodriguez
10. Thor Hushovd

I choose lo leave out Tony Martin because i mean that all the best cyclists in the world should be either: a) able to reach the podium in a grand tour, or b) fight for a win in one of the monuments. Martin may be the best time trialist in the world, but i don't believe that he is a real contender for the GT or the monuments.

The same goes for a rider like EBH, great in one day and one-week races, but still not a real contender for the monuments.

I don't agree with you about Tony Martin, but I do agree with Edvald Boasson Hagen. So far he has never been close to winning a Monument or prestigious one week race. He also can't win Grand Tours or important time trials, so yeah... Tony Martin on the other hand can win big time trials in Grand Tours and one day event(s) and can also win prestigious one week races(second at Suisse and Romandie, first at Paris-Nice).

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
1. Contador
2. Gilbert
3. Evans
4. Cancellara
5. Cavendish
6. Martin
7. Hushord
8. Samu
9. Wiggins
10. F.Schleck

Its hard to be objective about your favorite riders, because you always see the potential and ability. I've tried to be non biased.

I tried to cover sprints, grand tours and week long tours with my own super team for 2012. (no doms allowed) altough thats not a bad idea for a thread. The best nine man tour team (inc doms and water carriers - not just saying "i'd have gilbert being my biddon guy for the tour)

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
1 Evans
2 Gilbert
3 Contador
4 ASchleck
5 Cancellara
6 FSchleck
7 Martin
8 Purito
9 Goss
10 Wiggins/Cavendish

a)Stage wins are worthless imo no matter if flat or MTF or TT, the point of a stage race is to be win at the end. b)Whoever wins the Tour is King.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Sophistic said:
1 Evans
2 Gilbert
3 Contador
4 ASchleck
5 Cancellara
6 FSchleck
7 Martin
8 Purito
9 Goss
10 Wiggins/Cavendish

a)Stage wins are worthless imo no matter if flat or MTF or TT, the point of a stage race is to be win at the end. b)Whoever wins the Tour is King.

Grand Tour stages aren't worthless. I rather win a stage in the Tour then get second without stage wins.

First things first, IMO, anyone who doesn't have Contador as their top pick for the last three years is either an ignorant fool, brainless, a stupid hater or someone who has spent the entire past three years with the Hutus in Africa/somewhere in the desert in Mongolia.

I'll have a go at this as well.

Last three years:
1 Alberto Contador
2 Fabian Cancellara
3 Mark Cavendish
4 Philippe Gilbert
5 Vincenzo Nibali
6 Cadel Evans
7 Joaquin Rodriguez
8 Samuel Sanchez
9 Denis Menchov
10 Tony Martin

This year:
1 Philippe Gilbert
2 Alberto Contador
3 Cadel Evans
4 Tony Martin
5 Thor Hushovd
6 Mark Cavendish
7 Edvald Boasson Hagen
8 Michele Scarponi
9 Bradley Wiggins
10 Samuel Sanchez

(I might have forgotten someone.)

edit: see, I forgot someone. Leipheimer *cough* He can share #9 with Wiggo.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Last three years:
1. Contador
2. Cancellara
3. Evans
4. Gilbert
5. Nibali
6. Cavendish
7. Hushovd
8. A. Schleck
9. Martin (Tony)
10. Valverde

2011:
1. Gilbert
2. Evans
3. Contador
4. Cavendish
8. Rodriguez
9. Boasson Hagen
10. Cobo (purely because a "GT" winner has to have a place on my list)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
more of a last three years ranking

Contador
Gilbert
Cancellara
Evans
Andy Schleck
Cavendish
Rodriguez
Nibali
Hushovd
Sammy Sanchez

I almost give the last spot to Sagan, I had Scarponi in there then I went with Samu though perhaps Menchov was a better choice
Greipel probably has as many wins as anyone and could fit but more like 2nd 10
I like the inclusion of Kittel in the 2011 lists