• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 Reasons for Rooting for Cuddles

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
sportzchick said:
Sure ive gone off the handle emotional, unberable, irrational but I will make no apologies for defending Cadel on this forum & if Cadel can win this then its worth it.

There is defending Cadel, and there is getting upset and aggressive every time anything other than doe-eyed support is shown. ACF can tell you - he's walked that line many a time.

Sometimes, criticism of Cadel is unjustified and should be rejected. Other times, something that isn't even a legitimate criticism gets jumped on. It ends up alienating more people than it makes supporters. I know the triumphalism that will proliferate on the board is going to be the worst thing about Evans' victory.

Still, I guess at least when he wins, we can finally stop having to discuss all the different excuses that have been made in the past ad nauseaum.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Kinda sorta hoping Evans wins. Whoever misses out by a few seconds will have a few regrets tho.

Either Evans will have to think about the time wasted on stage 18, trying to persuade someone else to ride, or Andy will rue his flaccid probing on the Pyrenees and his decision not to cooperate once Bert got a gap yesterday. If Andy is Schleckond, he can look back on that as the time he gave up yellow and dots, for the pleasure of sharing the podium with his bro instead of Bert.

Evans seems to have worked on his difficulties with keeping his head in the game. If he can carry that through to tomorrow, he will be a more deserving winner than Schleck, who appears overconfident IMO. Stellar ride on stage 18 from Andy, but his ego needs a little schooling or he will be insufferable. Allez Cuddles!

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
There is defending Cadel, and there is getting upset and aggressive every time anything other than doe-eyed support is shown. ACF can tell you - he's walked that line many a time.

Sometimes, criticism of Cadel is unjustified and should be rejected. Other times, something that isn't even a legitimate criticism gets jumped on. It ends up alienating more people than it makes supporters. I know the triumphalism that will proliferate on the board is going to be the worst thing about Evans' victory.

Still, I guess at least when he wins, we can finally stop having to discuss all the different excuses that have been made in the past ad nauseaum.
weve had to deal with the opposite for far too long - how can you say we dont have the right to give as good as we get???

Pot%20calling%20the%20kettle%20black.jpg

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:
10) He’s facing his last, best chance to win the TDF. Andy is young, and will have many more chances In fact, Agree

9) Andy will win the 2010 TDF in a few weeks, when the CAS decision is handed down. Not only that, but

8) Andy will be the favorite in 2012, for the same reason. Does anyone really want the 2013 season to begin with Andy owning more TDF titles than Bert?

Agree, but no matter who the records say owns the 2010 title, everyone reading this forum knows who really won the race. That will never be changed from my mind.

7) While both riders have finished second twice, both of Cadel’s wins were heart-breakingly close, coming down to final ITTs when he couldn’t get the time he was thought to be able to get. Evans also lost a Vuelta because of a flat tire.

Undoubtedly heart-breakingly close. I feel like in 07 he just lost to the better man. But in 08 he could have put himself in a better position prior the final time trial than he did. That year, he came in as the favorite and raced every day like it was his tour to lose. Rather than try to strike a blow at his rivals he rode them down as if he was already leading the race, gambling on his advantage in the time trial over the competition and the percieved time gaps he could attain there.

Evans will never be an explosive attacker and I understand the risk of blowing up before you could create a gap on the opposition. I just feel Evans lost that tour in the weeks before that penultimate day and as such deserved to lose it.

6) Evans has scratched and clawed his way to this point. He picked up 3” on stage 1, 8” on stage 4, and more than a minute on stage 16, including 3 extra seconds beyond his breakaway companions. The last time a GT contender tried to pick up a few seconds on opening non-mountain stages was maybe Cunego in the Giro in 2005. We all know how that turned out. An Evans victory would signal that it doesn’t have to be all about sitting in the peloton and waiting for MTFs. Even more than that, it would be a victory for a guy who uses the strengths that he has, and doesn't worry about all the complaints that he doesn't ride the way a GT winner is supposed to ride.

Cadel's efforts in this race to scrape time here and there have made for some excellent finishes in what might have been boring GC stages. I don't, however, enjoy watching the way Cadel will have won the tour near as much as I liked how Andy did it. Say what you want about the man's personality or his passivity in virtually all of the other races he is in. But he rolled the dice in a way we don't get enough in the Tour de France that makes for much better viewing. A win for Evans will reinforce the chase everything down strategy as the best way to win the tour if you're not Alberto Contador.

5) Andy sprinted at the end of the Beille stage to take two seconds off of Cadel. How would you feel if those two seconds were the margin of victory?

Same as I feel about the way Cadel took time from Andy on the Alpe. It was the smart play.

4) Andy has had every possible advantage in this Tour. Only 1 ITT, a TTT that favored his team, Contador weakened by the Giro and crashes. If he were a deserving winner, he should have blown open the race by now.

A few problems here. BMC took time from Saxo in the TTT and everyone got an advantage from Contador being tired and beat up. The lack of TT miles is completely out of Andy's hands.

How can anyone say that Andy wasn't a deserving winner after stage 18? He called everyone's hand tactically and came up the winner on the day he had the strength to do so. I wish more had played there cards in this and previous tours like Andy did on 18 or Contador the next day.

3) Evans has suffered from poor team support his entire career. This TDF is no exception. While Andy has teammates galore working for him, including his own brother Frank, who can be used to start attacks, Evans has often been alone. Though everyone recognizes he is a better TTer than Andy, the TTT was a wash between their teams.

Both of these guys have been free to choose the teams for which they signed. I can't hold it against Andy that his team is better or that, heaven forbid, his brother likes working to help him win.

2) Anyone with a cleft chin and a nickname like Cuddles needs every break in life he can get.

Absolutely. I hope he puts in the time trial of his life

And the no. 1 reason for wanting Cadel Evans to win is:

Australia has never produced a TDF winner. Evans would be the first. Not only that, but both his first and last names are of Welsh origin. How many TDF winners do you suppose Wales has produced? How many TDF riders do you think Wales has produced? Yep, you’re probably right.

Ten characters

sportzchick said:
weve had to deal with the opposite for far too long - how can you say we dont have the right to give as good as we get???
This forum has been overrun with Cadel talk since I've been here.

At least now it's justified.

He wouldn't get half as much abuse if he didn't get brought into every discussion and people weren't so sensitive about criticism.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
fatsprintking said:
Come on Sorenson - life's too short to get all serious and grumpy when there is only two stages left of the tour.

Lets just kick back and relax. Cheers to you. If you were in Australia you would be welcome to come and have a few quiet ones with me.

Cheers bud. might take that offer :)

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
lanternrouge said:
Maybe a little over the top here and there but well said sir. The real fans are unfortunately associated with the australian psycho fans of the forum.

Well you are correct. and just between you and me. I cant quite help to cheer for him anyway. Just don't tell anyone ;)

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
bit shallow to judge sportsmen or a whole country the fans....

If you bothered to read my initial post, you would know that's not what I'm doing. In fact I'm pointing out it's the few who is ruining it for the lot. But by all means carry on... :rolleyes:

May 4, 2010
Visit site
If Evans wins it won't be because of the way he looks on the bike or how pretty his girlfriend is or as a result of how well he is respected by other cyclists or because some poster likes him. Or any other inane reason posted on this thread.

But because he is the most best and most consistent rider in the race. He has had little assistance from his team while grinding down attacks from two Schlecks and Contador and Sanchez over several days. Niether the Schlecks nor Contador or Sanchez were able to perform every day yet Evans has in the last week. Every day. In fact if he doesn't win he probably deserves to anyway.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Top reason not to root for Cuddles:

1. He looks extremely ugly on his bike. No style at all. He's even worse than that ugly sprint of Velits up Alpe Dhuez(I'm going to have nightmares of that one. Too bad you can't be banned for that.) and Voeckler on his bike.

Better reason to root for Cuddles:

I don't want Schleck to win.
So only people who dance on the bike Contador should win? Great logic...:rolleyes:
Libertine Seguros said:
This forum has been overrun with Cadel talk since I've been here.

At least now it's justified.

He wouldn't get half as much abuse if he didn't get brought into every discussion and people weren't so sensitive about criticism.
Overrun? Lol. I think it has a fair bit to do with the fact that he is a top class rider and he is well supported is why he gets so much attention. A lot of posters make it a hobby to bring him down and just be ****ers towards him. That's why some of his fans including me can be a bit sensitive.

But you think what you want...:rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
So only people who dance on the bike Contador should win? Great logic...:rolleyes:

Overrun? Lol. I think it has a fair bit to do with the fact that he is a top class rider and he is well supported is why he gets so much attention. A lot of posters make it a hobby to bring him down and just be ****ers towards him. That's why some of his fans including me can be a bit sensitive.

Yes, and if it wasn't for his crashes and/or the Giro this Tour wouldn't have been a contest. Just like in a tt your position on a bike matters. And Cuddles is awful in that department. On a climb that is.

auscyclefan94 said:

The problem is, chicken or egg? Are his fans overly sensitive because he keeps being brought down? Or does he keep being brought down because his fans are overly sensitive about it? I wouldn't mind if we didn't have to keep retreading the same things over and over again ("Lotto didn't try to help Evans", "Evans lost the Vuelta because of that puncture", "Evans would have won if...").

Some people here in July only watch the Tour, won't have seen the "new Evans", since the last time they saw him do himself justice was 2008, when he still had the negative riding reputation. Anybody who isn't a July fan who's going on about it is just trying to get a rise out of you, and they know they can since if this forum has taught me one thing, it's that Cadel's fans are almost as highly strung as Cadel.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
The problem is, chicken or egg? Are his fans overly sensitive because he keeps being brought down? Or does he keep being brought down because his fans are overly sensitive about it? I wouldn't mind if we didn't have to keep retreading the same things over and over again ("Lotto didn't try to help Evans", "Evans lost the Vuelta because of that puncture", "Evans would have won if...").

Some people here in July only watch the Tour, won't have seen the "new Evans", since the last time they saw him do himself justice was 2008, when he still had the negative riding reputation. Anybody who isn't a July fan who's going on about it is just trying to get a rise out of you, and they know they can since if this forum has taught me one thing, it's that Cadel's fans are almost as highly strung as Cadel.
I'll just say you are entitled to your opinion but you just seem to think that either way it is his fans that are the problem. You think that...:rolleyes:

El Pistolero said:
Yes, and if it wasn't for his crashes and/or the Giro this Tour wouldn't have been a contest. Just like in a tt your position on a bike matters. And Cuddles is awful in that department. On a climb that is.

You might make this more painful for yourself if you keep saying Contador would have won, Evans only got it gifted to him, bla bla bla.

Everyone knows that.

Everyone knows that Contador is by far away the greatest cyclist around and other people only win if he lets them.

But on the other hand Evans has been beyond brilliant this season. Hes won a lot of races before the Tour and come into the Tour top form. He hasnt been gifted a victory hes had to put his legs and body under immense pain for hours on end, every day.

Contador himself hasnt made any excuses.

Is it not better to aknowledge a great performance, say "chapeau" and wait for Contador to put him into place 12 short months later.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You might make this more painful for yourself if you keep saying Contador would have won, Evans only got it gifted to him, bla bla bla.

Everyone knows that.

Everyone knows that Contador is by far away the greatest cyclist around and other people only win if he lets them.

But on the other hand Evans has been beyond brilliant this season. Hes won a lot of races before the Tour and come into the Tour top form. He hasnt been gifted a victory hes had to put his legs and body under immense pain for hours on end, every day.

Contador himself hasnt made any excuses.

Is it not better to aknowledge a great performance, say "chapeau" and wait for Contador to put him into place 12 short months later.

It still doesn't change the fact that Cuddles has the most horrible climbing style I've ever seen. I'm pleasantly surprised Andy could never drop him for real. It means he's not as good as people think he is :p

I never said he got this as a gift by the way. I just think he has a horrible climbing style and that he should do something about it.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
It still doesn't change the fact that Cuddles has the most horrible climbing style I've ever seen. I'm pleasantly surprised Andy could never drop him for real. It means he's not as good as people think he is :p

I never said he got this as a gift by the way. I just think he has a horrible climbing style and that he should do something about it.

it's a little late in his career to make drastic changes. he's made some small changes this year and they're paying dividends.

I think alot of the changes can be attributed to his mentality though. Ever since he won the world championships then changed teams he's been a different rider. Not that his style has necessarily changed much, because it hasn't really. It's more that his belief in himself has changed. He's just a lot happier riding these days.

On the other hand, it seems Andy has turned into a prima dona rock star thinking everything should be handed to him. Lets face it, the only reason he got second last year was because spartacus got stage 3 neutralised. He's spent more time this race complaining about the course than he has trying to win the race. He's lucky he managed to convince spartacus to swap teams with him because otherwise they'd have lost 4 minutes in the TTT

May 4, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Yes, and if it wasn't for his crashes and/or the Giro this Tour wouldn't have been a contest. ...

And if Evans hadn't had bike trouble today he would have won the stage by 2 minutes.

But he didn't. And there were crashes early in the tour.

If it makes you feel better you can claim all kinds of different outcomes. Unfortunately we are stuck with what actually happens.