• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 Tour de France

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
1 Froome
2 Schleck
3 Rodriguez
4 Porte
5 van garderen
6 hesjedal
7 valverde
8 contador
9 Pinot
10 Quintana

had to edit cos i put rodriguez twice lol

Poursuivant said:
There is almost always a surprise in the top ten. Really tough call. I think it may be someone like Moreno could surprise.

Lol. 4th in 2012 vuelta and 3rd in 2013 dauphine and u say it would be a surprise for him to top 10?! I would be surprised if he's outside top 10. Very underrated rider imo

for the life of me i cannot figure out how people have andy schleck getting a top 10

was it that wonderful 25th place at the Tour of California? the fact that he managed to get over a cat 3 climb with the peloton at the Tour de Suisse?

wtf?

willbick said:
he hasnt been 'fit and ready' for about 2 years. absolutely no chance of getting anywhere near the top 10

That's pretty much the impression lots of people had of Contador a month ago watching him TT in Dauphiné. I'm not saying Andy is a contender, but he never was fit until TDF, so why not this time?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
fantomas said:
When Cadel was young? Yeah, he doesn't stand a chance. He will crack at some point like almost always. But top-10 might be possible.

Good one champ. Happen to catch the Giro when he got a podium despite only taking a couple of weeks to prepare.

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
King of the Mountains said:
for the life of me i cannot figure out how people have andy schleck getting a top 10

was it that wonderful 25th place at the Tour of California? the fact that he managed to get over a cat 3 climb with the peloton at the Tour de Suisse?

wtf?

you do realize that even if he was a confirmed 100% fit at the above races the results would be very similar anyway , he is tuned around 1 race a year and thats it , the sooner people understand this the sooner all the andy bashing can stop .

he has a much harder road this time round obviously because of the injury that kept him out for a year and his brothers ban has clearly not helped matters and the even bigger factor is that a lot of riders have significantly improved during that time . but at the end of the day he is still a top rider with top form figures in the hardest race on the calender at a reasonably young age .

ok maybe his attitude could do with a bit of work but thats part of the enigma of andy . many top sports stars over the years can be questioned on there attitude at times .

on what we have seen this year the odds of andy performing at his peak seem impossible but i for one really hope he can find something in this race . there are not too many out there that can set a mountain stage alight like andy can and i think the sport needs him back .

he is one of he most explosive climbers of the modern era and if you have that weapon in your bag you will always have a chance , whether we will see it over the coming weeks i do not know ... we can hope .

wtf?

This is normal procedure for Schleck. Outside of LBL and TdF hes an average rider. Perhaps because of injuries and the bigger brother's issues, fans have put him under the microscope a bit more, but he will be ready to climb once we hit the mountains.

Its unavoidable.

Dazed and Confused said:
This is normal procedure for Schleck. Outside of LBL and TdF hes an average rider. Perhaps because of injuries and the bigger brother's issues, fans have put him under the microscope a bit more, but he will be ready to climb once we hit the mountains.

Its unavoidable.

people keep saying this yet the results this year compared to when he did well at the tour are vastly different

2009 - won LBL, 2nd Fleche Wallone, 10th Amstel Gold
2010 - 6th LBL, 9th Fleche Wallone
2011 - won mountains class at Tour de Suisse, 3rd LBL, 8th Tour of Cali

doesnt seem like he is anywhere near this level to me

people keep saying this yet the results this year compared to when he did well at the tour are vastly different

2009 - won LBL, 2nd Fleche Wallone, 10th Amstel Gold
2010 - 6th LBL, 9th Fleche Wallone
2011 - won mountains class at Tour de Suisse, 3rd LBL, 8th Tour of Cali

doesnt seem like he is anywhere near this level to me

I think its close:
'13
LBL: Came in with guys such as Froome, Samu, close to Nibali etc. Lacked final form to win the race.
ATOC: 3rd in KOM's competition.
TdS: Just behind the leaders on La Punt stage.

I wouldn't be too worried, he will be ready. Kloeden too and he was also a bit of a dog in TdS.

TRENDING THREADS