• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 5 or 10 Carbon Bikes

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Bordercollie1 said:
I have scanned the thread and don't think anyone has looked at the difference between lugged and monocoque frames. As far as I know, All the Euro made carbon frames are lugged; Daccordi, Colnago EPS + C59, Time RXR, NXR, some Looks. There is just not the facility in Europe to make monocoque carbon so you need to look closely at anyone claiming otherwise.

I've just been reading a review of the new Cipollini frames and it claimed they are made in Italy and are monocoque, but it did make the point that this was rare for a European frame.

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks for that, I checked out the website and they make a real play of the fact that it is 'made in italy' and the pictures seem to verify that.

It is very unusual for an italian bike brand to have a slick and up to date website!

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Bordercollie1 said:
Many thanks for that, I checked out the website and they make a real play of the fact that it is 'made in italy' and the pictures seem to verify that.

It is very unusual for an italian bike brand to have a slick and up to date website!

The review was in Cycling Plus, and was one of those sickly sweet, fawning ones where the reviewers were clearly in awe of Cipollini (but then who wouldn't be?). They made the point that the company had done work on high end motorbikes and I think cars, but that the recession had hit this, hence they'd moved into bike frames. The company said that they would be making about 13 frames a day max. In the review Cipollini stated that he had drafted lorries at 80 kms/hr in order to check out the stability of the frames!

ViaPagliano said:
I have a Cervelo R3 and I love it.

Nothing feels more responsive and smoother.

To compare I have ridden a Cannondale SuperSix 13 (Saeco Model) and Colnago Master Light. I can ride on it all day and can feel every ounce of power go straight to the wheels.

Do you mean System Six, Super Six or Six 13? I ask because from my knowledge they're all different frames.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Of course they can make good frames in China.They also make crap ones.
You have to remember with carbon that a lot of the cost is material.Hence a Giant TCR advanced SL is so much more expensive than a TCR composite.
China copy Dogma's are not made with the same material as genuine Pinarello's as they have exclusive use of that type of carbon.
You are not getting a 5000 dollar frame for your 450 , more like a 1500 dollar frame.

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
simo1733 said:
Of course they can make good frames in China.They also make crap ones.
You have to remember with carbon that a lot of the cost is material.Hence a Giant TCR advanced SL is so much more expensive than a TCR composite.
China copy Dogma's are not made with the same material as genuine Pinarello's as they have exclusive use of that type of carbon.
You are not getting a 5000 dollar frame for your 450 , more like a 1500 dollar frame.

They have different tube shapes as well, it's not a Dogma despite the ONDA knockoff fork and similar stays. Geometry is off too.

There are plenty of "open mold" frames out there that are solid and inexpensive, don't see why anyone would want to even spend a $100 on a knockoff frame.

Mar 25, 2009
Visit site
Brand names vs. generic - my 5 cents' worth

Let me relate to you my personal experience with direct-from-China off-brands. For my B-bike, I tried a Pedal Force frame once, it was light enough, with some visual blemishes, but the deal breaker was that the right rear dropout was misaligned, so the only way to make the thing work was to intentionally bend the hanger.

Next was a "Venge" copy by Deng-Fu. This one is a bit better, still with visual blemishes, appears to be geometrically correct, but don't get it in the rain - the factory headset seals are nonexistent. The ride, although not bad, is not nearly as lively as the real thing, according to a friend who has ridden both.

My A-bike, in the meantime, is still the same 2008 Pinarello. It looks great, and does what it is supposed to do, consistently. What can I say, but to repeat the overused phrase, "the disappointment in poor quality remains long after the thrill of the low price has gone"?

To be frank, I don't really care too much about where the frame was actually made and how many times it was marked up in price. I do like the real warranty, the consistent quality, the beautiful graphics, and the up-to-date technology that comes with a high-end, brand-name frame. The sheer number of new headset and bottom bracket standards is daunting and probably unnecessary; some may say this is pure marketing gimmickry, but it is hard to deny that these newer standards represent a considerable improvement over the old-school headsets and bottom brackets in terms of lighter weight and greater stiffness. And let's not forget that the standards were not all that consistent in the "good old days", either - in fact, there is a plethora of obsolete, obscure standards out there.

So, my advice to anyone out there shopping for a new frame, go with what your heart is telling you, get the best bike you wallet will allow, and enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS