• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 5 or 10 Carbon Bikes

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 8, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
based on stiffness to weight and independent testing in no real order cervelo specialized and scott are the 3 best bikes you can buy currently. steer clear of colnagos pinarellos etc... over priced heavy bikes which sell on name alone.

In my limited experience differences in performance are pretty much irrelevant between the most common brands, and I guess that could be extended to about 40-50 other brands. Regarding stiffness to weight tests etc...well, it depends on which cycling magazines one reads, which in turns depends often (but not always) on where one is from.

For the money I have no doubt the best cycle I can buy first hand is a Canyon SLX. After trying a Canyon CF for 5 months I tend to believe that its simplicity and stiffness would even make me a buyer of the SLX even if I would have unlimited money to spend.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
TexPat said:
The best carbon bike is the one that fits. The best quality I've seen is from this guy:http://crumptoncycles.com/
I've had the pleasure of seeing his old workshop as well as assembling a few for him. Bar none--unbeatable finish and impeccable design for the individual.
However, I'm in the bike biz and am therefore broke, so I ride a Masi, which is great, and a better ride than the Trek 5900 I was on previously.

Do you have the geometry on the Masi? I ride 5.o trek madone 06 carbon which has relaxed angles but stiff. I feel it is safer on technical descents.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
TexPat said:
The best carbon bike is the one that fits. The best quality I've seen is from this guy:http://crumptoncycles.com/
I've had the pleasure of seeing his old workshop as well as assembling a few for him. Bar none--unbeatable finish and impeccable design for the individual.
However, I'm in the bike biz and am therefore broke, so I ride a Masi, which is great, and a better ride than the Trek 5900 I was on previously.

Is that a short top tube on the crumpton?

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Parlee should be on the list

I bought a Parlee earlier this summer. I had finally reached the point in my life that I could afford a high-end bike. Still, I thought about just buying another $2-3k bike from one of the big brands, like Specialized, Giant, or Cervelo. In the end, I decided to spend a lot more and get a Parlee, and I'm happy I did. It's a nice bike. I doesn't give me any magical powers to win races that I otherwise would not have won, but I have no regrets owning such a nice piece of machinery that I'll enjoy for many, many hours of riding.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Black-Balled said:
I am a fan of the Looks...had a few, but never one with integrated seatpost.

Stiff and responsive, feels lively but not as harsh as the ti frames I've had.

185cm/ ~70kg if it matters!

I am a big Look fan. choose to ride one over the club team sponsor Felt. I chose to pay full retail over the club bro deal. Which says something

The integrated post works for me with a taller frame, but it is harsh at times. I have the 595 Ultra because of the tapered steerer and stiffness at the fork crown and BB. No slipping or creaking with integrated post but I am the only guy I have met who likes them. I suppose resale is an issue.

I will say it was nervous time cutting the post down when fitting

Ridden friends Parlee and Cannondale. The Cannondale and the Look are very similar ride quality and I would get one in a heart beat. parlee is a beautiful bike. I like it a lot but the lack of a tapered steerer is a deal killer for now. Only because I like the stiffness up front.

FOr what it is worth I know a few guys on Jamis frames like the Sutter bikes and they can't stop talking about them

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Name

forty four said:
based on stiffness to weight and independent testing in no real order cervelo specialized and scott are the 3 best bikes you can buy currently. steer clear of colnagos pinarellos etc... over priced heavy bikes which sell on name alone.

You make it sound as if they got their "Name" by accident.They got it by making gorgeous race winning bikes year after year.
I was just looking at the new Colnago M10.Gorgeous red/black colour scheme, but then they have written "Structural Routing" in big letters on the top tube.WTF:confused:

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
TexPat said:

Hey Tex, I'm thinking of getting the Masi single speed (steel retro frame, bike retails for around a grand) for commuting. Any views on it?

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Hhmmnnn, thought this thread was gona go a different way like.........

Early.....

Look(Tour de france as ridden by Hinault/Lemond & rest of La Vie Claire)

TVT(Used by many teams and riders under various brand names Lemond(ADR), Delgado(Reynolds),Rooks,Thunnessie(PDM)

Vitus Carbone/ZX1/Alan Carbone (Kas/Peugeot/Varta & others used these)

Middle.....

Colnago C40(Mapie,Rabobank & others)

Giant TCR(ONCE)

Look(ONCE,Kelme,Credit Agricole)

Latest......

Colnago C59

Pinarello Dogma

Giant Advanced Sl

& may more....:)

May 20, 2010
Visit site
laziali said:

Hey Tex, I'm thinking of getting the Masi single speed (steel retro frame, bike retails for around a grand) for commuting. Any views on it?

Actually, I have one of those, too. I rode it around Lake Taupo, NZ with 13,000 of my closest friends last year for 150km, and have logged quite a few more on it as a rain bike/training aid. It's a nice bike. Smooth ride, good finish. The Masi range is very tidy, and offers really good value.

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Vegan Dave said:
I love mine as well...amazing handling, surprisingly comfortable..it likes to go fast. =)

Another vote for the Ridley Noah...love mine. Building up a 2008 Giant for racing next year, will see how that compares.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Irish2009 said:
Latest......

Colnago C59

Pinarello Dogma

Giant Advanced Sl

Reading this topic I wondered if anyone would be brave enough to list the TCR SL, equally as good as the Tarmac SL3 IMO just without the BB30.

The fact it retails for 2/3's the price of that bike and half it's euro equivalents probably harms it's credibility.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
how so flexible?

Just ignore him. Most people do. He's prone to making sweeping generalisations with no proof or evidence to back them up. I don't believe that Robbie McEwen would help to develop and then sprint a frame that was flexible, do you?

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
LugHugger said:
Just ignore him. Most people do. He's prone to making sweeping generalisations with no proof or evidence to back them up. I don't believe that Robbie McEwen would help to develop and then sprint a frame that was flexible, do you?

Not related to his post, but not ever what pro rides are best or anyway the same product as the one you find on the market.

I know a Vacansoleil guy and he was complaining the bike they used this year cause too flexy but of course if the sponsor is paying you just ride that.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Michele said:
Not related to his post, but not ever what pro rides are best or anyway the same product as the one you find on the market.

I know a Vacansoleil guy and he was complaining the bike they used this year cause too flexy but of course if the sponsor is paying you just ride that.

Well yeah but BATAVUS isn't exactly known for it's raceframes now is it?
If you buy a ridley at an official dealer you'd expect to get something good no ?

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Good thread..

I've an Orca from 08 and it's been fabbo, bit hard at the back end but ultra tight and fast.
I've also (earlier this year) bought a Parlee Z5SL, stealth Black with Cosmics and Selle Italia and it's beaute..
I'd decided last year to treat myself and looked around at Cippo,Botteccia,Formigli etc., ridden a mates Look 595 which is lovely, but got wind of the new 695 and thought about waiting, but money burned a hole in my pocket and Bobs determination to build a work of art around my body took it. It wasn't cheap mind, but it's unique and is a talking point wherever in the world you ride it. I feel special on it and it gives me a warm glow. I ride it hard mind and it's been impecable.
Orcas up for sale.. I'll be sorry to see him go because we'd done some good GF's together.

Take your time, there are some great builders out there.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Michielveedeebee said:
Well yeah but BATAVUS isn't exactly known for it's raceframes now is it?
If you buy a ridley at an official dealer you'd expect to get something good no ?

The first and only first-hand comment I had on a Batavus it was from that pro.

As for the ridley question, yeah of course.

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
Quote: steer clear of colnagos pinarellos etc... over priced heavy bikes which sell on name

All I can say is written by someone whose never had the opportunity to ride one. I have 7 bikes at present, built and ridden plenty others but there's something about the handling of a well-sorted frame that lesser bikes lack - I know for sure that on a couple of occasions my 'price heavy bike' has got me out of situations which lesser ones would have left me in a lot of pain.

The one that probably tops the pile right now is a Colnago C59 - a friend who works for Specialized reckons it's an incredible bike to ride.