• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top Ten of 2012

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
luckyboy said:
I fail to see how Greipel is getting in people's top 10s..

Me too.

Griepel (3 TdF wins, some early season prep races and a load of other minor races) gets in, yet Cavendish (3 TdF wins, two of which were insanely impressive, 3 Giro wins, 1 T-A win and a minor classic, all with an inferior train to Griepel, the Champs Elysees lead out aside) is excluded. Are we rating based on expectations and against previous triumphs? If so, Gilbert should be nowhere near.

1. Wiggins
2. Boonen
3. J-Rod
4. Sagan
5. Nibali
6. Froome
7. Valverde
8. Gerrans
9. EBH
10. Hesjedal

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
How many of those who put Sagan (who haven't won any one-day race or stage race other than national) in top 5, would have had Cav in top 3 last year?

Everyone agrees that "Cav '11 > Sagan '12" right?

no

King Of The Wolds said:
Me too.

Griepel (3 TdF wins, some early season prep races and a load of other minor races) gets in, yet Cavendish (3 TdF wins, two of which were insanely impressive, 3 Giro wins, 1 T-A win and a minor classic, all with an inferior train to Griepel, the Champs Elysees lead out aside) is excluded. Are we rating based on expectations and against previous triumphs? If so, Gilbert should be nowhere near.

1. Wiggins
2. Boonen
3. J-Rod
4. Sagan
5. Nibali
6. Froome
7. Valverde
8. Gerrans
9. EBH
10. Hesjedal

... And yet you have Sagan 4th
facepalm.gif

Sagan have won 3 TdF wins and the green jersey and a lot of stage wins against cr@p competition (TdS and aToC). No one-day races (except national, but please..) and no stage races.

His results this year = Overrated.

Netserk said:
facepalm.gif

Sagan have won 3 TdF wins and the green jersey and a lot of stage wins against cr@p competition (TdS and aToC). No one-day races (except national, but please..) and no stage races.

I had Sagan 4th as well. For me it wasnt just about what he won but how he won them. His rides at MSR and RVV were also very impressive even though he didnt win. For the record though I cant stand the guy :p

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
1. Rodriguez
2. Wiggins
3. Boonen
4. Sagan
5. Valverde
6. Nibali
7. Boasson Hagen
8. Greipel
9. Martin
10. Froome

or something along those lines

my other candidates who just missed out would be (in no particular order);
Cavendish, Gerrans, Costa, Contador and Hesjedal

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
facepalm.gif

In his first tour he wins 3 stages and the green jersey against guys like Goss, Griepel, Cancellara, EBH (I'd say that was pretty good competition).

Then he beat Kreuziger, Nibali, Di Luca and others in a uphill finish at Tirreno Adriatico.
He beat Cancellara, the up and coming Moser and others in the TDS prologue.

It's true his other wins at TDS and California were not against the best competition but when was the last time a guy dominated a race like he did in those races?

And he may not have won them but his 4th in MSR, 2nd in GW, 5th in RVV, and 3rd in AGR showed that he could definitely be a contender in the classics.

I'd say his season and results this year was anything but overrated.

I think the first issues that should be solved before discussing a thing like this are the criterias.

Do we only look at results? In this case a Giro win > Vuelta win.
Do we look at the competition as well? In this case Vuelta > Giro.
Do we take into account how the races were won? In this case it gets very subjective.

For instance, I think that Rodriguez has been the best rider this year, but I think that Wiggins has the better results.

TRENDING THREADS