• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top Ten of 2012

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Then Gilbert and Martin T. are quarters of a cyclist.

1 Carlos Alberto Betancur Gomez (Col) Acqua & Sapone 5:04:18
2 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb - Revor 0:00:02
3 Sergey Firsanov (Rus) RusVelo
4 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:05
5 Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
6 Bert De Waele (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Euphony 0:00:08
7 Tony Martin (Ger) Omega Pharma-Quickstep

I do think the three Colombian musketeers (Uran, Henao and Quintana) deserve to go down as honorable mentions. Uran was top 10 of the Giro, got a stage in Catalunya, podiumed Lombardia, won Piemonte and got the Olympic Silver.

However, he's more of a known quantity in that he'd been an improving guy for years. Henao is in his neo-pro year (although he is already 24), managed the top 10 of his first GT, the podium in Poland and Burgos, and had some half decent Classics results. Results-wise GC-style Quintana may not be as impressive, but he's also more than 2 years younger than Henao, and he won two stage races outright (Murcía and Route du Sud) as well as a semi-classic (Emilia), was one of very few men to break away from the Sky train of death all year in his escape on the Joux-Plane in the Dauphiné, and after losing time in week 1 was one of the strongest men in the key mountains of the Vuelta, riding himself to death over and over for Valverde.

Echoes said:
Then Gilbert and Martin T. are quarters of a cyclist.

1 Carlos Alberto Betancur Gomez (Col) Acqua & Sapone 5:04:18
2 Kevin Pauwels (Bel) Sunweb - Revor 0:00:02
3 Sergey Firsanov (Rus) RusVelo
4 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) BMC Racing Team 0:00:05
5 Lieuwe Westra (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
6 Bert De Waele (Bel) Landbouwkrediet-Euphony 0:00:08
7 Tony Martin (Ger) Omega Pharma-Quickstep
Really? An out of shape Gilbert and a ditto Martin to prove that some cyclocrosser is a decent cyclist? In the Tour of f..king Belgium?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Really? An out of shape Gilbert and a ditto Martin to prove that some cyclocrosser is a decent cyclist? In the Tour of f..king Belgium?

Actually, Martin chased the breakaway by him self before the final uphill finish. So it's no surprise he lost a few seconds at the finish. He was riding for the overall win.

theyoungest said:

I don't care if they were out of shape. They were beaten, period. And yeah in the Tour of f..king Belgium (sic).

And yeah they are cyclists for technically they are riding a bike, pushing down on one pedal after the other to drive two wheels. As long as you don't put an engine into this, I guess I may call that cycling.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
infeXio said:
How exactly does that make Hesjedal season better than Contadors? If anything, Contador should be up there, as he hadn't had any racing days for half a year before returning and winning the Vuelta.

Giro>>>Vuelta
Plus not many expected it would be Hesjedal (a guy who's previous best result in a GT was 6th in the) that would win the Giro. Almost everyone pretty much expected Contador would end up winning the Vuelta.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
How many of those who put Sagan (who haven't won any one-day race or stage race other than national) in top 5, would have had Cav in top 3 last year?

Everyone agrees that "Cav '11 > Sagan '12" right?

I think people probably take into account that Cav last year had an entire team built around him to help him win. Whereas Sagan pretty much gets his wins done with no help or on occasional with a Daniel Oss lead out. If Cav had a similar year this year with Sky's less than stellar support than I think it would be different kettle of fish.