• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top three doping/cleanist nations

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Speaking broadly and in the knowledge there are plenty of exceptions.

The biggest doping countries are:

1. Spain

2. Italy

3. US

Cleanist countries:

1. UK

2. France

3. Australia

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
While I'm confident US athletes dope at elite levels in every sport, I don't see them having enough cyclists to make the top three.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Worst:

1. Italia
2. Espana
3. Russia

Best:

Cannot really say, it is an individual choice for the mopst part, and except for East Germany, Soviet Union and China in past there really were no national doping programs (or so I saw in international athletic competition). My "worst" are from there being a widespread culture of "everyone does it." It does start pretty early in those countries.

Worst:

1- Spain
2- Italy
3- USA

Best

1- Fracnce
2- UK
3- Colombia

Maybe I am seeing things through rose colored glasses, but I can not believe from all the riders in Colombia we can not climb anymore with the Europeans. If they are doping they are doing something wrong or need to improve at it. Just look at the Clasico RCN now (It is in the CN Racing board). How many riders are competing. It is like that all year round. we have many competitions that only go through mountains that are around 2000 and 3500 m of altitude. Statiscally speaking it is difficult to believe that they can not climb in the European mountains. Ok, that's it.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
This thread is just asking for trouble. Most everybody dopes, so can't really pick a "dirtiest nation." For cleanest nations I'd pick Australia and Canada, but wouldn't be surprised to find out I was wrong.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
How do we define the cleanest and dirtiest? Highest and lowest percentage of dopers or absolute number dopers?

I'm really talking about the culture rather than hard statistics. It seems to me the doping culture and the approach to doping is quite poor in Spain, Italy and the US. Whereas there seems to be a really clean approach to the issue in France, the UK and Australia - the mentality against doping is much better even though there are still cheats.

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
Worst:

1- Spain
2- Italy
3- Russian Federation/USA

Best:

1- France

I don't know if they're as clean as I think, but at least they are the cleaner country in my opinion. Can't think on another country which deserves to be in a "clean countries list".

Cogombre said:
Worst:

1- Spain
2- Italy
3- Russian Federation/USA

Best:

1- France

I don't know if they're as clean as I think, but at least they are the cleaner country in my opinion. Can't think on another country which deserves to be in a "clean countries list".

You're right France would get my nod (but only a nod) for most cleanish.
Spain may well have a solid claim for #worst on the other list. Frankly though I don't see how we can seperate Italy, Russian Fed., USA, Holland, Belgium, Khazahkistan, Luxemburg, Germany, Denmark etc. all in for a close second. They all either have emerging doping scandals or riders connected to other countries scandals or guys who have been removed from big wins or caught out of comp or even just who have dark clouds following them.

A

Anonymous

worst first.

1. France
2. Russia and East Germany
3. Romania
4. Kazakstan / Spain

Clean

USA

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
glenn_2.jpg

A

Anonymous

worst...

Spain, Italy, Germany

i mean come on... is there a german rider that hasnt been under suspicion... But i think the spanish lead the field by a long long way

Cleanest...

Australia, Norway, Britain

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
How do we define the cleanest and dirtiest? Highest and lowest percentage of dopers or absolute number dopers?

:confused:There is no definition i guess because riders, doctors and even masseurs are always ahead of the controllers in terms of new drugs to use. Therefore, a very high percentage can't be caught. It doesn't matter what country you come from. We know that in the pro tour 98% are in one way or another involved in drugs. The 2%? they are the tailenders.

dimspace said:
worst...

Spain, Italy, Germany.

i mean come on... is there a german rider that hasnt been under suspicion... But i think the spanish lead the field by a long long way

Cleanest...

Australia, Norway, Britain

Maybe Andre Greipel, Gerald Ciolek, Marcus Burghardt, Heinrich Haussler and so many others.

Don't make generalizations.