• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Tour de Bore"

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
thegrimpeur said:
One more thing: There should be a sub-forum for "cycling is boring"-threads, like we have with the clinic for doping. It is predictable, uneducated and frankly a bit arrogant to keep saying that. Everyone who follows cycling more than the Tour knows that 18 out of 21 stages doesn't really cut it, but thats a grand tour. You can't expect Liege or Paris-Roubaix every day. Last year was supposedly the most boring grand tour ever, until Schleck and Contador blew up the race on the last couple of mountain stages. Just enjoy what you get and adjust your expectations.

Agreed plus there is already a thread about this, why start a new one? Admittedly two of the last three stages have been dire but otherwise the race has been fine, I do wonder if some of the people on here actually like cycling.

thegrimpeur said:
One more thing: There should be a sub-forum for "cycling is boring"-threads, like we have with the clinic for doping. It is predictable, uneducated and frankly a bit arrogant to keep saying that. Everyone who follows cycling more than the Tour knows that 18 out of 21 stages doesn't really cut it, but thats a grand tour. You can't expect Liege or Paris-Roubaix every day. Last year was supposedly the most boring grand tour ever, until Schleck and Contador blew up the race on the last couple of mountain stages. Just enjoy what you get and adjust your expectations.

Sorry but youre wrong, it is the worst tour. Awful and unwatchable

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Agree. been watching since 84 and this has to take the prize as most boring TDF I have ever seen. Best to just forget about it and hope for a better race next year. no one will remember this tour....

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Sørensen said:
Agree. been watching since 84 and this has to take the prize as most boring TDF I have ever seen. Best to just forget about it and hope for a better race next year. no one will remember this tour....

2002 and 2004 were way worse in my opininon.

Beside i think we should wait at least after thursday stage to express a final judgment

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I think it's been alright. Obviously yesterday was dire, but overall the first two weeks have been better than in the most recent Giro or last year's TDF. The La Toussuire stage was better than all three 2011 second-week mountain stages put together. Belles Filles and Porrentruy were good, and the Colombiere stage was OK.

The issue is that people don't like the fact Wiggins is winning.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Duartista said:
The issue is that people don't like the fact Wiggins is winning.

I will admit that part of the reason I am unhappy with this tour is Wiggins winning but I am warming to him a little bit more.

For me, the race lacks panache from the really good riders. Last year had performance after performance that had Panache. Two of the best mountain stages I have seen were in last year's edition. Other than Pinot's victory, no performance has really excited me and has made me say, "Wow, that is something special". I guess we all have different interpretations of races though.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I will just copy what I said in another thread which is quite relevant

Bavarianrider said:
Sorry but i am just sick of 80% of the posters here. If you don't like cycling just go away and watch some freak show or whatever. But this level of moaning is really getting beyond ridicilous. You ain't cycling fans.

Perhaps you are right BavarianRider but I think some of us are a)watching because it is the Tour and we love the sport and/or b) waiting in hope that something special will happen. I think many of us believe that the Tour and races alike could be done a bit better than they have been over the past 10 to 15 editions. Just looking ahead to the Pyrenees is depressing.

Cimber said:
They have been several great stages. But the GC has been a bore.

Why is it a bore? I don't like Wiggins, but if he's the best TT and nobody can drop him seriously in the mountains he is the best man and a deserving winner.
The Tour is more than just a close fight for number 1 in the GC. I guess according to you guys all Indurain Tours or Armstrong Tours must have been totally crap too. A cycling race is so much more than just a close fight for number 1 in the GC. I reallly donÄt know what you guys want.

auscyclefan94 said:
I will just copy what I said in another thread which is quite relevant

Perhaps you are right BavarianRider but I think some of us are a)watching because it is the Tour and we love the sport and/or b) waiting in hope that something special will happen. I think many of us believe that the Tour and races alike could be done a bit better than they have been over the past 10 to 15 editions. Just looking ahead to the Pyrenees is depressing.

Of course it could be better. But i don't see hwo the Tour was any different in the 90es let' say. It has always been this way. Not erverday can be great.. That's impossible in a 3 week race. Wednseday and Thursday will be good again. There are boring days, there are exciting days that's how a GT is. And in this Tour there have been many great moments already.

auscyclefan94 said:
I will admit that part of the reason I am unhappy with this tour is Wiggins winning but I am warming to him a little bit more.

For me, the race lacks panache from the really good riders. Last year had performance after performance that had Panache. Two of the best mountain stages I have seen were in last year's edition. Other than Pinot's victory, no performance has really excited me and has made me say, "Wow, that is something special". I guess we all have different interpretations of races though.

Fully agree. Last years' tour was save by Schleck & Contador attacking. This year it just doesn't seem happening, unless Froome defies team orders and attacks Wiggins.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Why is it a bore? I don't like Wiggins, but if he's the best TT and nobody can drop him seriously in the mountains he is the best man and a deserving winner.
The Tour is more than just a close fight for number 1 in the GC. I guess according to you guys all Indurain Tours or Armstrong Tours must have been totally crap too. A cycling race is so much more than just a close fight for number 1 in the GC. I reallly donÄt know what you guys want.

Armstrong's Tour victories were not as bad because at least when Armstrong attacked, it blew people away how good he was even if the GC was rather closed and Armstrong was so much better than everyone else.

Bavarianrider said:

Indurain's years' were mostly boring, but at least guys like Chiapucci attacked. This year there's no action among st GC candidates.
Of course for you, a 100km Long ITT may be the most exciting thing in a Grand Tour, however for most fans it isn't.

the asian said:
Indurain's years' were mostly boring, but at least guys like Chiapucci attacked. This year there's no action among st GC candidates.
Of course for you, a 100km Long ITT may be the most exciting thing in a Grand Tour, however for most fans it isn't.

Nibali, Evans, JVDB, Rolland.

auscyclefan94 said:
Other than Pinot's victory, no performance has really excited me and has made me say, "Wow, that is something special". I guess we all have different interpretations of races though.

Sagan has been very special, by any standards. Froome's climbing exploits would probably fit that description. Brad's TT was brutal.

We'be already hit the nail on the head in this thread. If Nibali, a board darling, was winning, there'd be no complaints from anyone.

Can't wait for Weds and Thur.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I think this year's Tour is entertaing if you care who wins the particular stages. I enjoyed them all.

As for the GC battle it's boring. Because team SKY is too strong and the course is ridiculously boring compared to the other 2 GT. It makes me feel like there won't be any MTF by like 2015... :confused:

As a brit, its funny to say, but I've not got a lot out of the GC "battle". I should be enjoying us put 'em to the sword but its just too cold and clinical to really excite. I'm enjoying it but it doesn't get you thinking about it 24/7 like, say, 2003 did.

But as a collection of individual races most of the stages have been very good especially the last week or so. Froome's, Pinot's, Voeckler's, Rolland's, Millar's, Greipel's 3rd and Sanchez' stage wins have all been excellent individual races in my opinion.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
what else do you expect???

when billionaires put together the best team their money can buy and run it with all the high ethical standards you'd expect from "News of the World"? B9ig surprise, the Murdock juggernath crushes everything in its path.

What's the point of having billions if you can't win a dam bike race?

SilentAssassin said:
I don't think it's possible for this tour to get any more bearing. When the highlight of a race is a few flat tires, you can't get any more boring than that. Someone just give Wiggins the trophy already because no one is going to attack.
Sky domination is not a good excuse to say the Tour is boring. Try again.

Moose McKnuckles said:
Garbage tour. Worst tour I have watched, and I've been watching since the 80s.

Complete trash.
Hmmm..isn't it what you say every year since the 80s? :rolleyes:

auscyclefan94 said:
The tour is boring as hell. I originally thought this was quite a good route. I think the way the race has progressed has resulted in a rather boring tour so far. I will still watch it for the love of the sport.
Yeah we all know your boy is down the GC, thus is boring.

Suggestion to you all: STOP WATCHING :D

TRENDING THREADS