• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Tour de Bore"

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
5 years ago I would've done anything for Brits to dominate the Tour. How the reality differs. The arrogance which seeps out of the bells makes me cringe. Brailsford is about as charasmatic as a Christmas tree in February. WIggins ain't far behind. I have to sit and watch Ned Boulting blow smoke up every Sky riders **** whilst Paul and Phil stutter and stumble all over the place. Thank god for Gary Imlach, thank god for Eurosport (never thought I'd say that).

Yeah yeah, we have a British 1/2 but that has cost an awful lot. I now have random whoppers on me twitter feed spouting complete crap about cycling which 3 weeks ago they new nothing about. Hell, half of them think Romandie is the 3rd biggest race of the year. I really should to be on the Sky bandwaggon, I'm British, a huge cycling fan and have long been cheering the slightest British victory in cycling.... but this corporate bore..... do me a favour. I'd stop short of saying I'm embarrased to be a British cycling fan at the moment, but I'm not far off.

Sure, loads of Brits will get in to cycling now, but I don't really want that. I love talking in depth to fans of cycling, but now you're gunna get those half interested twots who proffess to know all yet have neer heard of this Martin Pantali. This isn't me being being overprotective of "my sport", this is me not wanting a sport so close to my heart being blown out of all context to the stage where it becomes dumbed down for newcomers. ITV and even Eurosport to a certain extent, have lowered the complexity of their coverage year after year since Cav really came to prominance to encourage new viewers. I'm worried this will be stepped up even further now.

Help me Alberto, you're my only hope.

Hell... could he even stop the inane wattgate. I mean they are literally destroying cycling here.

I would say I can't wait for the Vuelta but with Froome, Henao, Uran, Nordhaug, Lofkvist, Zandio etc. we're probably gunna see more of the same.

The end of cycling as we know it...... certainly in Britain.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Bobby G said:
5 years ago I would've done anything for Brits to dominate the Tour. How the reality differs. The arrogance which seeps out of the bells makes me cringe. Brailsford is about as charasmatic as a Christmas tree in February. WIggins ain't far behind. I have to sit and watch Ned Boulting blow smoke up every Sky riders **** whilst Paul and Phil stutter and stumble all over the place. Thank god for Gary Imlach, thank god for Eurosport (never thought I'd say that).

Yeah yeah, we have a British 1/2 but that has cost an awful lot. I now have random whoppers on me twitter feed spouting complete crap about cycling which 3 weeks ago they new nothing about. Hell, half of them think Romandie is the 3rd biggest race of the year. I really should to be on the Sky bandwaggon, I'm British, a huge cycling fan and have long been cheering the slightest British victory in cycling.... but this corporate bore..... do me a favour. I'd stop short of saying I'm embarrased to be a British cycling fan at the moment, but I'm not far off.

Sure, loads of Brits will get in to cycling now, but I don't really want that. I love talking in depth to fans of cycling, but now you're gunna get those half interested twots who proffess to know all yet have neer heard of this Martin Pantali. This isn't me being being overprotective of "my sport", this is me not wanting a sport so close to my heart being blown out of all context to the stage where it becomes dumbed down for newcomers. ITV and even Eurosport to a certain extent, have lowered the complexity of their coverage year after year since Cav really came to prominance to encourage new viewers. I'm worried this will be stepped up even further now.

Hell... could he even stop the inane wattgate. I mean they are literally destroying cycling here.

I would say I can't wait for the Vuelta but with Froome, Henao, Uran, Nordhaug, Lofkvist, Zandio etc. we're probably gunna see more of the same.

You're not on your own.

I think it's time to take up carpet bowls. I am informed it is much more interesting and unpredictable. I am not sure though whether its on Eurosport

Armchair cyclist said:
A point amply demonstrated by the result if ITT times are discounted, leaving the winner as, ermm, Wiggins. And everyone on the podium the same. And everyone in the top ten the same.

You do realise that the result of the 1st ITT (and the knowledge of a second one to come) influences the shape of the race from that moment onwards don't you? The way it removes any realistic hope of top ranking climber from making up the time in the mountains and instead turning their attention to a top 10 place. Heck, the race route probably shaped the race from its announcement in October 2011. For example, giving Lotto a reason to give Griepel a sprint train as VdB had no chance with such long ITTs and minimal opportunities to gain time on the MTFs.

Also, you are factually wrong as well, as, off the top of my head, the Cadel Evans gained time overall to Zubeldia over the two ITTs but lost to him overall...

Let me see, yup Evans gained 15 seconds over Zubeldia over the two ITTs combined, yet lost to him by 8 seconds overall. There will almost certainly be aother positions in the top 10 majorly influenced by ITT results but there is no need to prove you wrong a second time. Please don't waste my time with arguments with no factual basis. Ta.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Bobby G said:

Then Purito and Alberto will be thankful for the time bonuses they're going to take piggybacking on the Sky train.

Fergoose said:
You do realise that the result of the 1st ITT (and the knowledge of a second one to come) influences the shape of the race from that moment onwards don't you? The way it removes any realistic hope of top ranking climber from making up the time in the mountains and instead turning their attention to a top 10 place. Heck, the race route probably shaped the race from its announcement in October 2011. For example, giving Lotto a reason to give Griepel a sprint train as VdB had no chance with such long ITTs and minimal opportunities to gain time on the MTFs.

Also, you are factually wrong as well, as, off the top of my head, the Cadel Evans gained time overall to Zubeldia over the two ITTs but lost to him overall...

Let me see, yup Evans gained 15 seconds over Zubeldia over the two ITTs combined, yet lost to him by 8 seconds overall. There will almost certainly be aother positions in the top 10 majorly influenced by ITT results but there is no need to prove you wrong a second time. Please don't waste my time with arguments with no factual basis. Ta.

I didn't say the top 10 were in the same order (or even that the podium was in the same order, though you missed that): I said that it was the same guys. Don't waste my time by misquoting me. Bye.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Bobby G said:

Complete and utter b*llocks!

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Bobby G said:

I'm sorry but this is overly alarmist. The quickest way to destroy cycling is for cycling to close itself off to new fans as you are suggesting. And resting your hopes on Alberto with his clinic related issues - that's taking cycling back in to the dark ages that every serious cycling fan should want to get away from (sorry mods but it's impossible to make the argument without some reference to the issues concerned).

mscaviy2601 said:
I'm sorry but this is overly alarmist. The quickest way to destroy cycling is for cycling to close itself off to new fans as you are suggesting. And resting your hopes on Alberto with his clinic related issues - that's taking cycling back in to the dark ages that every serious cycling fan should want to get away from (sorry mods but it's impossible to make the argument without some reference to the issues concerned).

Well, even Prudhomme is awaiting Conatdors' return.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
stampedingviking said:
Complete and utter b*llocks!

Cheers for that higly analytical insight there. If you don't agree with my point of view, fine but try and find it in yourself to entertain a discussion.

The reason for my posts isn't because I want to close off the sport of cycling to new fans, far from it, I'd just rather they got immersed in the sport rather than flirting with it for 3 weeks a year.

I'm still proud of Bradley, I'm still proud that a Brit has triumphed, my I saw this moment much sweeter in my mindseye than in reality.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Bobby G said:
Cheers for that higly analytical insight there. If you don't agree with my point of view, fine but try and find it in yourself to entertain a discussion.

The reason for my posts isn't because I want to close off the sport of cycling to new fans, far from it, I'd just rather they got immersed in the sport rather than flirting with it for 3 weeks a year.

I'm still proud of Bradley, I'm still proud that a Brit has triumphed, my I saw this moment much sweeter in my mindseye than in reality.

Just think of it this way, if only one of those people who watched this Tour for the first time sticks around and starts watching other events too, it was all worth it. Not sure why anyone would start following cycling after this Tour tho, but who knows.

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Normandy said:
You're not on your own.

I think it's time to take up carpet bowls. I am informed it is much more interesting and unpredictable. I am not sure though whether its on Eurosport

Eurosport will probably take the carpet bowls to replace the cycling once that nice Mr Murdoch starts flashing more cash at his new toy :mad:

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Corona said:
Eurosport will probably take the carpet bowls to replace the cycling once that nice Mr Murdoch starts flashing more cash at his new toy :mad:

Makes sense. Always find it funny Sky sponsoring the team and being so heavily involved in British cycling yet showing no coverage. I wonder how long Eurosport have their agreement in place for.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
mscaviy2601 said:

Read the sticky at the top of the forum.

Corona said:

You cant argue though with sky's coverage of sport. Nearly every sport they have taken has improved the way we watch it.

Football, Cricket and now F1 to name a few examples. If Sky sports do bid for the tour then i am very confident they would do a fantastic job with it.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
You cant argue though with sky's coverage of sport. Nearly every sport they have taken has improved the way we watch it.

Football, Cricket and now F1 to name a few examples. If Sky sports do bid for the tour then i am very confident they would do a fantastic job with it.

God I hope not, I can only get Freeview, please leave some sport for us plebs.

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:

I'll have to take your word for it. I wouldn't put a penny in that ****'s pocket and there is no chance I will in the future. I will say though that my football supporting friends are unanimous in their belief that Sky have killed football as a spectator sport for them. They are now just waiting for 6.00am Monday morning kick-offs to suit whatever region he's going for global domination of next :D

Bobby G said:
Makes sense. Always find it funny Sky sponsoring the team and being so heavily involved in British cycling yet showing no coverage. I wonder how long Eurosport have their agreement in place for.

I would imagine it would be ITV losing out, not Eurosport, seeing as SKY + ITV only broadcast in the UK while Eurosport broadcasts it across Europe and other countries.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

One of the worst Tours I can remember! Even in those Armstrong days, he had the entire team around him, but he still made some good attacks on the climbs anyway!

This year, with 100 k (????) of ITT, ASO should have put much more mountain top finishes to make it even, this way the only thing Wiggins had to do was put a lot of time on ITT and then drag allong the team all up the climbs ...

TRENDING THREADS