• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

"Tour de Bore"

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Tour director Christian Prudhomme said: ‘The one thing I can tell you is that the 2013 Tour will favour the climbers a lot more than this year’s route did. Whatever we decide, there will be more stages with summit finishes.’

Link to article?

If this is true, I can't wait to see Contador and Schleck drop Wiggins on the climb. I do hope to see Andy do another long solo attack on a summit finish. We'll see if Froome and Wiggins are the real deal next tour.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Who needs more MTF´s or less TT´s for exciting racing? As we just witnessed in the olympic road race, it´s possible to win flat "stages" from a break.

So just shut up JV: Throw the RR´s in the dust bin, and make the teams smaller. The fans will honour it. As compromise, keep the power meters so that your riders have something to stare at.

Hope at least Prudhomme learned something from it. Let the DS´es cry. The fans pay the bills!

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Who needs more MTF´s or less TT´s for exciting racing? As we just witnessed in the olympic road race, it´s possible to win flat "stages" from a break.

So just shut up JV: Throw the RR´s in the dust bin, and make the teams smaller. The fans will honour it. As compromise, keep the power meters so that your riders have something to stare at.

Hope at least Prudhomme learned something from it. Let the DS´es cry. The fans pay the bills!

Add UCI's point scheme has made it even more of a snooze. But, that's a more complicated problem. I think it was Inrng that described the impact the points scheme was having on racing that did it for me.

Smaller teams is a big problem for the UCI. They can't find that many people who will put up the money for more, smaller teams because the costs of smaller teams is not that much less. They don't like mixing the tiers of athletes too much either. It mostly damages ASO's event brands if they fill the peloton with lower-budget teams.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Add UCI's point scheme has made it even more of a snooze. But, that's a more complicated problem. I think it was Inrng that described the impact the points scheme was having on racing that did it for me.

Smaller teams is a big problem for the UCI. They can't find that many people who will put up the money for more, smaller teams because the costs of smaller teams is not that much less. They don't like mixing the tiers of athletes too much either. It mostly damages ASO's event brands if they fill the peloton with lower-budget teams.

I meant smaller teams per race. As we saw in the olympics. That means it makes it more difficult to catch the break, especially w/o RR´s.

I have no problems with big rosters. That might have been unclear.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Just had a look at some tours in last 25 years, and at least on paper, they are way worse than this one. And still, we call them classic.

1986 – 2 mtf
1989 – 2 mtf
1991 – 2 mtf
1992 – 2 mtf ( from a total of 2 mountain stages?????. No Pyrenees)
1995 – 2 mtf

McLovin said:
Just had a look at some tours in last 25 years, and at least on paper, they are way worse than this one. And still, we call them classic.

1986 – 2 mtf
1989 – 2 mtf
1991 – 2 mtf
1995 – 2 mtf
Wasn't 1992 the year with that Sestriere stage that was just slightly harder than anything we've seen in France in the last 20 years? :rolleyes:

McLovin said:

1986 – 2 mtf
1989 – 2 mtf
1991 – 2 mtf
1995 – 2 mtf
1986??

No way Jose:

Stage 13: Superbagneres. MTF.
Stage 17: Serre Chevalier. MTF.
Stage 18: Alpe d'Huez. MTF.
Stage 21: Puy de Dome. MTF.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Wasn't 1992 the year with that Sestriere stage that was just slightly harder than anything we've seen in France in the last 20 years? :rolleyes:
In terms of length and accumulated vertical gain, then probably yes.
But I'm sure people would flame it anyway because of the flats between the climbs and because the last two climbs are so easy and thus rendering Iseran and Roselend useless.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
1986??

No way Jose:

Stage 13: Superbagneres. MTF.
Stage 17: Serre Chevalier. MTF.
Stage 18: Alpe d'Huez. MTF.
Stage 21: Puy de Dome. MTF.

Serre Chevalier is not a MTF but I think it was Granon. Puy de Dome was marked as hilly by wiki so I was wrong.

Magnus said:
But I'm sure people would flame it anyway because of the flats between the climbs and because the last two climbs are so easy and thus rendering Iseran and Roselend useless.

A stage which suited racing 20 years ago =/= a stage that suits racing today.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The 1999 Tour also had a little of differences with this IMO. So it was an ok route that is entitled to be sometimes. The course wasn't the main problem of this Tour edition. And yet, after this year Giro and for example La Toussuire stage it gets harder and harder to draw the line between a route that favours great racing and one that doesn't.

Magnus said:
indeed. Just like the Cuneo-Pinerolo stage which in these days would suck. Cycling has changed sadly.

thehog said:
Tour director Christian Prudhomme said: ‘The one thing I can tell you is that the 2013 Tour will favour the climbers a lot more than this year’s route did. Whatever we decide, there will be more stages with summit finishes.’

We don't need more summit finishes, we need more decent stages. I can live with 2 mtf, as long as there are another 4 difficult high mountain stages (as opposed to 1 this year), and 2 or 3 medium mountain stages with the possibility to create some minor time gaps.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Just had a look at 1979 route. I don't know if we'll ever see something like this, even in the Giro. Gladiators I tell you. Look at first week.

It's like this: 25 racing days plus a single rest day
Prologue - 5 k
stage 1 - mountain stage in Pyrenees
stage 2 - 24 k MTT to Superbagneres
stage 3 - mountain stage in Pyrenees
stage 4 - 87 k TTT
stage 8 - 90 k TTT
stage 11 - 33 k ITT
stage 13 - MTF to Ballon d'Alsace
stage 15 - 54 k MTT to Avoriaz
stage 16 - mountain stage in Alps
stage 17 - MTF to Alpe d'Huez