• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2011 Stage 7: Le Mans - Châteauroux 218 km

Page 34 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
About time for Taaramäe to stay in the front group, seems to be tangled up in every crash these times, even got stuck this time but managed to catch the front bunch.

jobiwan said:
But you're still picking and choosing who you would rather crash due solely to your dislike of one rider and like of another.

If I said, "if someone's going to crash I hope it's Machado"...you'd be very unhappy and rightly so. But by using your logic, I could say "if someone crashes" and be fine, since I didn't say "I want Machado to crash".

*sigh let me explain this to you like if you were a 5 year old.

i said if(key word here) one of 2 schleck brothers were to crash i would prefer it to be frank over andy because i like frank the most.

do you understand it now? i am not hoping that they crash i am just saying if it happens i would be more annoyed if it was frank then if it was andy.

p.s. every1 likes insane kamikaze riders that refuse to quit a GT even tho they are sick and getting dropped on every bump on the road :p not that he wouldn't get dropped anyway XD

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Btw while most DSs were very sorry about Wiggins Leopards Kim Andersen's response was:
"that means one less rival. Its not the way you want it to happen, so I wont say its good. But fact is that it means there is one less rival". While he might be right, its quite cynical.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
*sigh let me explain this to you like if you were a 5 year old.

i said if(key word here) one of 2 schleck brothers were to crash i would prefer it to be frank over andy because i like frank the most.

do you understand it now? i am not hoping that they crash i am just saying if it happens i would be more annoyed if it was frank then if it was andy.

p.s. every1 likes insane kamikaze riders that refuse to quit a GT even tho they are sick and getting dropped on every bump on the road :p not that he wouldn't get dropped anyway XD

The fact that Andy crashing would bother you less than Frank crashing is the only problem I have. IMO, anyone crashing is equally bad, no matter who it is. Oh well, life goes on! :p

jobiwan said:
The fact that Andy crashing would bother you less than Frank crashing is the only problem I have. IMO, anyone crashing is equally bad, no matter who it is. Oh well, life goes on! :p

thats a bs. wiggins crashed out today wouldn't you be more bothered if that was andy? its like everything in life we care about ones then others. caring equally about every1 is some church bs that doesn't exist :p

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
thats a bs. wiggins crashed out today wouldn't you be more bothered if that was andy? its like everything in life we care about ones then others. caring equally about every1 is some church bs that doesn't exist:p

EDIT: Cimber a few posts later is right. I apologize.

By the way, that "church bs" is exactly what I believe in. :) :p

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:
Ok... I concede defeat.

I admit hereby that is quite frankly impossible that Cav will be surpassed by a competitor or fade away, get into an accident or run into a scandal. The idea itself is insulting and should be punished by a ban (as has already nicely been called for).

Really, how could I be so crazy to look at facts? How dare I look at facts? How dare I think a sprinter is also calculated by worlds or point jersey.

I humbly apologize for being somewhat cautious about using a crystal globe.

As Jan proved when he won his first tour, predictions like these always come through. A cyclists career is a straight line up!

The problem is your just looking at career numbers and comparing riders who have retired (or are about to) with someone who's only in his fifth season.

Let's change sports. Who is the best 100m runner of all time? The best, not the greatest. Who would you pick to run for your life.

Is it Carl Lewis (2 Olympics, 3 Worlds) or Maurice Greene (1 Olympics, 3 Worlds)?

Or perhaps it's Usain Bolt? But it can't be, can it? Because he only has one Olympics and one Worlds. You have to be an idiot who knows nothing about athletics history to pick him.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
Horner doesnt know 'where he is or what happened' but finished the stage?:eek:

That is professional road racing.

I am not a particularly big fan of his (mainly cos he rides for Retirement Shack) but I have to respect and give props to that mentality :D
I thought the rule was that riders with suspected head injuries were immediately pulled from the race and taken to hospital? Like Brajkovic the other day. Seems a bit irresponsible of race organizers to allow them to continue.

c&cfan said:
i guess you are slow.. ok. an example.

wining 13 gt stages at the same GT in 1973 or so is different than doing it now.

the importance of palmares is very relative.

even you can see it, right?

Better to be slow than blinkered I would say. Even you can see that through them, right?

jobiwan said:
I would definitely be bothered if that was Andy....or if it was Contador, if it was Evans, if it was Thomas Voeckler, if it was ANYBODY. I don't want anyone to crash out or lose time due to a crash. IMO, I can't be more upset for one guy crashing than another, whether I'm a fan of them or not.

By the way, that "church bs" is exactly what I believe in. :)

i never said i wanted any1 to crash. pff religious people.

190236_172042639512124_100001191684904_372853_4927887_n.jpg

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Kwibus said:
That's not the world balancing out. That's coincidence.

I ironically rarely believe in coincidence. Lots of things are random, others are too convenient to be random. Things have a funny way of falling.

I don't like Leipheimer, but I still don't like it he lost time because of a fall. It would've been a lot better if he got dropped on the Tourmalet. I don't like it that any rider lost time because of a fall. I don't like it that riders have to give up because they fell. I always feel sympathy for those riders, wether I like them or not.

I think it's good because IMO both Horner and Levi used up too much form and energy at the ToC and TdS. However Bruyneel has shown the last few years when it comes to chosing the strongest guy as leader, he hasn't made the correct call. This year I think the course did it for him and removed a lot of doubt.

Yes, losing time does suck. It's what you do when you fall that makes you who you are. Hence why I said Wigans should have a crack at the Vuelta. I've seen Levi fall before and sadly I don't see anything really positive out of it. He just seems to accept his lot and trudge along. Vino got dropped in todays big crash. He however rode like a maniac and made the time back to the front group. My opinion on Levi is based on the cumulative effect of his efforts since 2005. Horner says he'll work his **** off and he does. Levi say he will and yet I see a "meh" attitude. Didn't in 2007 and 2008, but these days I do. More of an entitlement attitude.

Put it this way, had he not fallen two or three times and had a wheel change, he'd be saying he's still team leader. I don't think he has the form or will find it without the time losses as Kloeden's the one who hasn't been wasting energy in other races, but slowly building form. Good for the Shack GC leadership, but today I'm dropping them from the fantasy league as my team. Can't believe I had them this long. Too many accidents. Time to switch to Saxo.

This is cycling though and unfortunately falling is part of it.

Another fact of cycling. Someone has to occupy every space in the peloton. You can't always be in the front 20-30 guys. Even then your not safe. I don't understand the commentators critiquing a rider for being at where Wigans was today and having to abandon. They didn't do it when he fell, but they often point out it's silly. One cannot always be at the front, you've just gotta hope you aren't near a crash when it happens.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
jobiwan said:
I would definitely be bothered if that was Andy....or if it was Contador, if it was Evans, if it was Thomas Voeckler, if it was ANYBODY. I don't want anyone to crash out or lose time due to a crash. IMO, I can't be more upset for one guy crashing than another, whether I'm a fan of them or not.

By the way, that "church bs" is exactly what I believe in. :) :p

I hope noone crashes, I hate when riders crash. But in all honesty I am always a bit more upset about it when one of my favorite riders crash. I think thats only natural.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
How did Phil and Paul respond to Radioshack's problems today? Was it "bad strategy", "poor form", or just bad luck? I'd be interested because AC's issues have all been the first two--from Phil and Paul's perspective.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
The problem is your just looking at career numbers and comparing riders who have retired (or are about to) with someone who's only in his fifth season.

How else to name the greatest sprinter ever? What yardstick do you suggest?

Or perhaps it's Usain Bolt? But it can't be, can it? Because he only has one Olympics and one Worlds. You have to be an idiot who knows nothing about athletics history to pick him.

This example is flawed as you omit the holy grail: the world record. That's why you could very well pick Bolt.

Otoh, if we look at the greatest Athletic sportsman of all time it surely would be Lewis. And yes, tainted all the way, bad attitude, but that is a completely different discussion (we are not discussing if Mario or Cav are clean or if we want to be their pub-buddies).

Once again I seem to have to stress I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the greatest ever. I certainly expect him to smash Darrigade's record. But my expectations do not equal certainty. Until he breaks that record he is not the best TdF sprinter ever. Same goes for best sprinter ever.. he needs to do a few things to get that crown.

I'd say he certainly is doing a very good job of doing exactly that... and yet he hasn't done it yet.

And this is exactly why I find the "he's only 26" mantra not applicable in determining if he is the greatest yet. If he has some mishap all we can say now is that he was on his way to being the greatest but didn't make it.

It certainly shows his prospects and makes it indeed a very plausible case. But that's the same with Alberto. We can not rank him higher as Hinault until he beats him in the GT count. Is it likely he will? Sure! But it ain't there yet.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
just some guy said:
Can we hope he drops his chain then :p

They already had to ditch the last groupset sponsor. There is only one more left after this involved in pro cycling! A dropped chain will never get old if it happens a second time.:D

Mambo95 said:

Let's change sports. Who is the best 100m runner of all time? The best, not the greatest. Who would you pick to run for your life.

Is it Carl Lewis (2 Olympics, 3 Worlds) or Maurice Greene (1 Olympics, 3 Worlds)?

James Cleveland Owens.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
Btw while most DSs were very sorry about Wiggins Leopards Kim Andersen's response was:
"that means one less rival. Its not the way you want it to happen, so I wont say its good. But fact is that it means there is one less rival". While he might be right, its quite cynical.

It's also highly revealing unless he was lying through his teeth. So who did they consider Wigans to be competition for? Franck, Fuglsang or Andy? Optimistically I'll take this Freudian slip as a sign of what I've seen from Andy...nothing special so far. I love DS like this clown. Says something dumb and then downplays his own riders. Idiot. Thanks for playing poker with your cards showing.

ManInFull said:
How did Phil and Paul respond to Radioshack's problems today? Was it "bad strategy", "poor form", or just bad luck? I'd be interested because AC's issues have all been the first two--from Phil and Paul's perspective.

Phil & Paul are confused by the Lance era. When it was possible to have your entire team on the front or near the front for an entire stage. Easy to stay out of crashes when you smash the peloton for the entire stage on the front. Yes there were crashes in his era but not like this. Now you have a situation of different teams rotating to the front which means the speeds go up and down more often. Also teams are not everything to everyone. The Lance era people ‘s teams could be everything because they were on so much gear. Saxo at the moment are more a mountain team so Contador team can’t ride on the front on flatter stages.

Phil & Paul just have it plain wrong. Today yes it was “bad luck” for Radioshack. I would have loved for Alberto to have fallen in the same crash. I’m sure it still would have been “bad luck” for Shack and “incompetence” from Contador.

Galic Ho said:
It's also highly revealing unless he was lying through his teeth. So who did they consider Wigans to be competition for? Franck, Fuglsang or Andy? Optimistically I'll take this Freudian slip as a sign of what I've seen from Andy...nothing special so far. I love DS like this clown. Says something dumb and then downplays his own riders. Idiot. Thanks for playing poker with your cards showing.

Leopard-Trek never miss an opportunity to show what absolute muppets they are.

By the way, Sherwen and Liggett had absolutely ZERO clue today, again. Vino gets back in the front group, they comment on it, and then, 10 minutes later..."This is the second group on the road, the group of Vinokourov..."

Seriously, are these guys drunk?

Galic Ho said:

edit to remove quote change: Or to paraphrase, you're happy when a rider you don't like crashes. You claim it's karma. When people call you on it, you hurl childish insults

For the record, Leipheimer is not "my guy". I just don't like to see riders' chances ruined by crashes.

Your personal attacks are pathetic and juvenile. You're a child, mentally at least, trying to act like a big man on the internet. It's boring. I'll go with ignoring the worthless bile that is your forum posts from here on out.

patrick767 said:
Just paraphrasing your recent response to me...

For the record, Leipheimer is not "my guy". I just don't like to see riders' chances ruined by crashes.

Your personal attacks are pathetic and juvenile. You're a child, mentally at least, trying to act like a big man on the internet. It's boring. I'll go with ignoring the worthless bile that is your forum posts from here on out.

"Quoting" something someone never said is extremely lame. If you don't agree with someone, fine. But don't be a weasel.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
patrick767 said:
Just paraphrasing your recent response to me...

To the mods, consider this an official complaint. I want this guy reported. People are not allowed to change forum quotes. This guy has done it more than once in this thread. Please deal with him. Cheers.

PS: First person I've ever put on block. Even He Who Will Not Be Named wasn't this bad nor daft. Personal attacks? Quit drinking the bong water champ. If you had the nads to take your own advice you wouldn't be in the sport of changing quotes. Coward giving out advice, it's been duely noted. Down Under we have a saying "Harden the F%#K up." You should do so.

TRENDING THREADS