• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2011 Stage 9: Issoire - Saint-Flour 208 km

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
All you people saying Contador looks a little sluggish are absolutely right, but you have to remember that it is the rest day tomorrow and he will get much, much better from Tuesday onwards.

Racing today was eventful for all the wrong reasons.
Power climb at the end really doesn't say much of anything, but let's contrast this finish with the way Contador rode the first power climb at the Giro and gained time.

I think AC is still working on his post-Giro form. Schleck looked quite good today.

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
vs just showed close up of Contador crash. Contador unclips his left foot just before he shoot out of the pack. Suggests to me he touched a wheel...not that Karpets pushed him out.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
Lulu worked the whole day and did his share. In the last 20km or so Voeckler made it clear he was going for yellow and not for a stage win, so he got a much bigger share of the work. That is normal in the Tour, happens all the time. Voeckler gets the jersey for doing all the work in the last part. Casar and Lulu got to fight for the stage.

Yeah, he did do his work, I'm not saying he just pilfered the stage. I was just more impressed with Tommy V and *felt* that he worked harder for the stage. I am though happy for both of them, Lulu really needed that stage win more than anyone else, it just salvaged his season and justified his move to Rabo, who by the way was in need of positives from this tour. So, after thinking about it a moment, I take back what I said and say congrats to both of them!

Gingerale said:
contador watch continues...

he hit the ditch today and still to be determined how. i wait for contador to give his story. but i refuse to listen to kirby, the irish commentator on eurosport or the versus commentary. they were quick to write off contador at giro and they are biased.

contador was up there in the same time as the GC's. sure, i can imagine the rest day is a relief for him.

the big pelaton crash and the car hitting hoogerland and flecha is what i will remember.

If AC doesn't make like Clark Kent on the rest day and come out next week with a Superman cape on, I am afraid to say he would be fortunate to podium at all. He just looks very tired to me.

dabaideschbi said:
dissapointing to see the breakaway rider to win! i am so mad! phil should have won
he he he!. loved it.. breakaway win and change the GC.. amazing first 9 days .. What will they do for an encore.. So much for all of "US" who envisioned a boring first tier. Not really want i want for excitement, to be honest, but boring it was not

Jan 6, 2010
Visit site
I see Kloden again loses a littgle time on the steeper shorter climbs - he could lose plenty in the mountains if the favourites all start attacking in earnest.

Even weirder was the fact that on a hilly steep finish Geraint Thomas manages to comfortably outclimb Uran - Ryo - any comments on this?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Every time I see a Saur rider it takes me a good few minutes to figure out who the hell they are because I never, ever see that jersey. I was 100% behind the ASO inviting all French wild card teams earlier this year but given how terrible Saur have been it does seem ridiculous that Geox aren't here instead.

ScottyMuser said:
I see Kloden again loses a littgle time on the steeper shorter climbs - he could lose plenty in the mountains if the favourites all start attacking in earnest.
Actually this is the first stage where Klödi loses time, even though the hills we've had so far don't really suit him, and don't forget he crashed today. He looks very strong to me.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Flecha is hard as nails, hopefully he left a dent in the French moron drivers piece of junk Skoda or whatever it was.

On a another topic so much loyalty in the Lotto team in them leaving VDB wallowing in the gutter injured. Kind of sickened by that.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
Gesink on the podium receiving the white jersey looking a lot more positive. Radiating almost.

Preudhomme and the commissaires are arguing behind the scenes now and their faces apparently express anger, frustration etc, and they are likely to come up with som edrastic measures to prevent this from happening again...

Gesink rode extremely well today, he'll still struggle in the days to come though.:(

Thomas Voeckler....what a rider.