• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2011 Stage 9: Issoire - Saint-Flour 208 km

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
I saw one guy with him (Not including WIllems), but who else are they going to keep back. They were down to 8 riders, You have Gilbert and Griepel protected, and I am sure they each had one guy with them, so that leaves 3 others, then when you include Willems,. I am sure they knew really quick that VBD was out.

The image of Vino being carried out by his team though will remain. The entire team but Krueziger was stopped on the road.

I am glad to see Flecha and Hoogerland, but I think Hoogerland is done, his back will completely stiffen and with all the cuts he has, I just not sure he will start. Flecha, despite being the one directly hit by the car, I think will at least start on Tues, and see if he can go.

+1 :( about the images. and the guess about hoogerland. hoogie getting back on the bike was a relief to see at first but can't imagine him starting tomorrow.

rides like a girl said:
Great podium for Johnny Hoog...he was wrapped up and in tears for the polka dot and the combative rider. Had me almost crying. Hope he races on Tuesday. They didn't have Flecha on the podium for combative rider, wonder if he is still getting medical attention.
not to spoil the moment, but the combative rider price is a tasteless award by the Organizers to cover up what could have been a fatal & tragic outcome....

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
ggusta said:
Notice how careful they all are to avoid getting too close to AC?

tRoll is Right!:eek:

Yea right, because AC is such a terrible rider. I mean past tours he's crashed... almost never?

Two things with AC. He's tired from Giro. Everyone can see that. His team might be tired too? They're hardly around him at all.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
not to spoil the moment, but the combative rider price is a tasteless award by the Organizers to cover up what could have been a fatal & tragic outcome....

I agree with you on that, totally useless attempt to make it ok. It was the only opportunity for me in the states to seem him after the race, not sure Versus would have followed up with either of them on any upcoming broadcast.

rides like a girl said:
Great podium for Johnny Hoog...he was wrapped up and in tears for the polka dot and the combative rider. Had me almost crying. Hope he races on Tuesday. They didn't have Flecha on the podium for combative rider, wonder if he is still getting medical attention.
i was almost in tears too.

any word on Flecha?

any update on Vino?

crap crap stage all around today :(

hfer07 said:

Its not the organization but some kind of jury who decide this. Dutch journalist is also in it for example.

Anyway, what a crappy stage. And then LL Sanchez wins, now I have to keep up with the story of the amazing Rabobank team for the next two weeks, sucks.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
KassyC said:
anyone know of a way to watch the presentations, My coverage ended before them.

cyclingfans.com may have them, they usually post video of key things throughout the day in their Videos: 2011 Tour de France section. Not sure it will be there, but might try.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Jan the Man said:
I think Schleck will win the Tour but having said that I have seen little indication in the first stages one way or another who will be climbing better in 5 days time when the real mountains are upon us.

Last year Schleck and Contador climbed even and above the rest. I see a similar situation this year.

Question is can Conti make 1:30 in a 40km TT. Possible but if Schleck is in last years form, no.

I don't understand why so many people are discounting Cadel right now. Schleck isn't an explosive climber like AC. Cadel won't have much problem sucking their wheels. He can certainly out TT Andy too.

I'm starting to think this will be a dull TDF. Andy/Frank will be "attacking", Cadel will be sucking their wheels and AC will continue to have no form and rue his riding the Giro this year.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
Recognition of the refs fault for letting the TV car through, recognition for how dangerous that driver was, and a huge sigh of relief that neither was killed. It is an attempt to deflect culpibility...

As I said earlier in the thread, I hope the race jury awards both Flecha and Hoogerland the same time as Sanchez.

hrotha said:
He confirmed what Riis said about his brake and the other guy's saddle, and he added that he crashed into the spectators and that his knee (the same one he had hurt before) started hurting more and more as the stage progressed.

I think I'm going to gloat right now.

Yep, it appears I was wrong to blame Karpets, as he looks to be innocent. I am happy to admit my mistake. :eek:

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
rides like a girl said:
cyclingfans.com may have them, they usually post video of key things throughout the day in their Videos: 2011 Tour de France section. Not sure it will be there, but might try.

thanks, will give it a try

TRENDING THREADS