• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2013 Wild Cards

Tour de France 2013 Wild Cards

• Others

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
This is the second thread because i screwed up the first one :(

I'm surprised no one has made a poll yet for that.
Now that we have 19 WT teams and that there will be only 3 Wild Cards and that we know the invitations for PN and Criterium du Dauphiné Libéré, who do you think will be the 3 Wild Cards for the Tour?
Will the organisers opt for an all french invites, especially that some of the french reactions implied that the UCI are acting against the french.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
i went for the 3 frenchies.

no way ASO invites AIM over sour, both will be invisible but at least sour is french and have a french riders like hivert. It's not like haussler and lofkvist have a chance to do anything anyway. . .

Sorry for the confusion earrly on. It's 6h30 PM here and still at the office :mad:

I went with Sojasun too (the sponsor Saur left them btw) because i think too that they have better chance and because it's one of my favorite teams and I think they will be more aggressive this year with no focus on GC since Coppel left to Cofidis. So looking forward to seeing what Hivert and Simon could do with a free role.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
spalco said:
Is this about who should get it or who will get it?

It's about who will get it. If it's who should get it, I guess the results would be different. My guess Colombia would have the most votes with logically Europcar and then between IAM/Cofidis/Sojasun

For once the 3 french wildcard teams are the strongest options, so it would be very strange if they did not get the wildcards. Europcar and Cofidis are nobrainers and even Sojasun with Hivert and Simon can match the other teams. Columbia could have been fun, but not when they also do the Giro.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
The three French teams are pretty much guaranteed. That being said, I would like to see NetApp. They are aggressive and I think Leo Konig can make top 10 on the GC.

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Jancouver said:
The three French teams are pretty much guaranteed. That being said, I would like to see NetApp. They are aggressive and I think Leo Konig can make top 10 on the GC.

Only three Wild Cards.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Europcar for Voekler, whats his name (alpe stage winner) and Colnago
Cofidis for well because of their shady past and how they still get to go (Irony)
NetApp because I like them (the file servers)

Europcar are a no-brainer. Can you imagine the outcry in france if Voeckler doesn't get to ride Le Tour?

Much as I would love to see them pick Colombia (or even NetApp) it's not going to happen this year. I think the only question is whether they will leave out Sojasun or Cofidis to take Bretagne and although I voted for it, I don't think that even that is very likely to be honest.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Europcar is obvious, Voeckler mutiple stage winner and got 4th in the TDF, Rolland mutiple stage winner and mutiple top 10 GC.

Cofidis for Taaramae, Coppel

other than that it doesn't really matter that much.... think I'd pick IAM.

Sojasun do not deserve it now as they have no Coppel, but they will probably get it. I do like how Hivert is riding recently though.

I would prefer/voted Cofidis, Europcar and IAM- Colombia already have a GT spot and Net-App should target the smaller races, they have a good team for it.

I would've prefered if the would've given Bretagne the chance instead of Sojasun. Feillu seems do have not much left from his early talent (Should've stayed with Vacansoleil in the end).

In the end it's okay. Europcar is a must have for the tour. And also Cofidis has got some strong riders. Sojasun in the end with Hivert and Feilliu are not better or worse than IAM with Lövkvist and Haussler. Both haven't follow through their talents in past years (Except Hivert maybe) . But Sojasun is French so it's an obvious choice.

Colombia has shown nothing so far this season. Maybe they could gain an invite for the Vuelta if Chaves is back to do something in the general classification. But in some way I would still prefer to give that wildcard to another team.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
As I wrote in LBL thread last Sunday, Cofidis-Europcar-Sojasun was the most likely decision.

Europcar is clear, they are a strong team, and the sponsor will have secured Tour invitation.

Cofidis will have had to rely on the sponsor to make clear they are in. Sporting wise, after this spring, no chance. Could be a signal, though:
Possibility 1: As long as Cofidis sponsors a team, and the team is no lower than PCT, and as long as TdF exists ;), no matter how they ride, they are guaranteed a spot.
Possibility 2: ASO give them a chance, and express their will to not invite them again in 2014 if they have a spring like that second year in a row.

Sojasun are equal, roster wise and success wise, to IAM, who are in their first year; I´d have preferred IAM, to be honest.

Bretagne without any chance, NetApp the same.

TRENDING THREADS