• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 17: Digne-les-Bains-Pra Loup 161km

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Escarabajo said:
Netserk said:
Escarabajo said:
LaFlorecita said:
el_angliru said:
Bjarne Riis' analysis on Danish TV: 'Movistar are handing the win to Froome. Movistar had 3 riders up front but still used Valverde to chase down Contador. And Quintana only attcked Froome 100 m from the finish. Movistar are not riding for the win' (not an exact quote, but the essence of what he said).

I guess Riis is still biased but that's how I see it too.
He also criticized Tinkoff's tactics fwiw
Of course he did. Not that he was objective!!
Uh, it was actually quite objective the way he did it. But please tell me what you found unreasonable about his criticism?
I am talking about the Saxo part not the Movistar.
So was I. My question still stands. What did you find unreasonable?

Re:

Bushman said:
How exactly is Quintama riding for second? Just asking, cause I didn't see him take a single pull to distance Nibali, Contador etc. I only saw him following wheels and attacking Froome, thats not really riding to secure 2nd place.

You don't attack with less than 1km to go if you're looking at 1st, and you've got over 3 mins to make up in 4 days against probably the best climber in the world

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Bushman said:
How exactly is Quintama riding for second? Just asking, cause I didn't see him take a single pull to distance Nibali, Contador etc. I only saw him following wheels and attacking Froome, thats not really riding to secure 2nd place.

You don't attack with less than 1km to go if you're looking at 1st, and you've got over 3 mins to make up in 4 days against probably the best climber in the world
He attacked on the first cat 3, on Col d'Allos and twice on the final climb

Eagle said:
PremierAndrew said:
Bushman said:

He attacked on the first cat 3, on Col d'Allos and twice on the final climb

Yeah, can't really fault Quintana today - what messed them up was Valverde having a stick up his butt about AC, and riding to secure his podium, rather than for Quintana to win.

If Valverde had worked with AC when he jumped across on ACs early attack, rather than just sitting on his wheel and shutting it down, we might have seen a very different stage, and a Froome in trouble on Allos, where Quintana could have hurt him.

Imo, Valverdes ego got in the way of the stage opening the race up again.

Digging really, really deep.

312-PIC549608658.jpg

Marvelous win.