• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 17: Digne-les-Bains-Pra Loup 161km

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
PROFIL.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

Day after the restday, and we know crazy things can happen after a restday :D.

The parcours looks pretty ok, astana will give it their all so that nibali wins this stage. I don't think a break will survive btw.

Rain will decide a lot in this stage, if it happens we'll obviously get a massacre. Especially with the descent of the col d'allos which is according to hinault "the most dangerous descent i've ever seen" (Of course hinault has never done the monte crostis descent)

Take a look, insane :eek: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJIfwwqL8UE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FOnc1r6wEY

3dlEtzN.jpg

We should have a meme here for people who creates race threads so early that others don't even get the chance, yet won't take the time to do more than the bare minimum. It's understandable to only post the profile, if it's late and no one else seems to be doing it, but more than 36h before the start of the stage?

edit: Only the two pictures were posted when I wrote my comment, but it still stands, also in this case.

Re: Tour de France 2015 Stage 17: Digne-les-Bains-Pra Loup 1

If I remember correctly, the profile of the last part of the stage was much more detailed in the Dauphine.

By the way, even if we don't take into account Monte Crostis, which has never been actually raced, the downhill from the top of Fauniera to Demonte is absolutely insane.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry netserk, i'm very sorry that a poster directly visited this thread and was gonna whine about it. If i knew i would have done it directly properly.

If it rains hard, do you guys think they'll cancel the descent of col d'allos?

Breakaway for the win.
Nibali to get away on descent, Froome to attack on Pra Loup to link up with Vincenzo and work together.
Froome to gift Nibali the stage if breakaway doesn't make it (possible if Movistar pushes the pace)

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I see attacks happening on the Col D'Allos, with Nibali head of the list so he can create a gap on the descent.

Sagan and Bardet to be in the breakaway. If he's not in the break Bardet will definitely do something, apparently he trains around there and knows the descent very well as his performance in the Dauphine showed

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

damian13ster said:
Breakaway for the win.
Nibali to get away on descent, Froome to attack on Pra Loup to link up with Vincenzo and work together.
Froome to gift Nibali the stage if breakaway doesn't make it (possible if Movistar pushes the pace)

If nibali attacks on allos, in my estimation he'll take 2 minutes on froome who won't take any risk in the descent. No way froome takes that back on pra loup;

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

gazr99 said:
I see attacks happening on the Col D'Allos, with Nibali head of the list so he can create a gap on the descent.

Sagan and Bardet to be in the breakaway. If he's not in the break Bardet will definitely do something, apparently he trains around there and knows the descent very well as his performance in the Dauphine showed
I don't think Bardet would be allowed in a break, too high in GC

Nibali will go for it. Alberto will try his heart out to follow. Froome will stay with Thomas and who else from Sky and try to reel them back in come the last climb. This could be a serious day to take time on Froome if you are daring, especially if it rains. If it rains there will be carnage.

Miburo said:
damian13ster said:
Breakaway for the win.

If nibali attacks on allos, in my estimation he'll take 2 minutes on froome who won't take any risk in the descent. No way froome takes that back on pra loup;

I thought about 60 seconds is more likely than that, allowing Froome to drop Quintana by 20-30s before catching Nibali and working together.
That would be an awesome scenario (of course all of that happens after Majka already won the stage ;) ) but it is unlikely and pretty much contingent on Quintana cracking at the very beginning of the climb or being dropped by Froome on descent

Re:

gazr99 said:

Stange, was sure he said post-race i CdD that the decent was unbeknownst to him...