• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2015 Stage 17: Digne-les-Bains-Pra Loup 161km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
I'm thinking I've started a bad trend on here....

Not really, like usualy netserk had to complain at the speed of light when a thread is directly opened before having the actual brain to think i was still editing it.

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Miburo said:
Red Rick said:
I'm thinking I've started a bad trend on here....

Not really, like usualy netserk had to complain at the speed of light when a thread is directly opened before having the actual brain to think i was still editing it.

Some people prefer to complain, but great that he jumped the bullet while you were still editing :p

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I think Pinot and Rodriguez to go in the break for KOM points. One of the Yates to be in the break too (at least one). Astana to keep break on a tight leash to guide Nibali to a stage win. Froome and Quintana to shadow box on the final climb with Nairo only gaining a few seconds in the final couple of km.

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

fungusbear said:
I think Pinot and Rodriguez to go in the break for KOM points. One of the Yates to be in the break too (at least one). Astana to keep break on a tight leash to guide Nibali to a stage win. Froome and Quintana to shadow box on the final climb with Nairo only gaining a few seconds in the final couple of km.

I don't think Pinot is interested in the KOM. If he'd been after it, he would have got the points on the climbs for the stage in Mende instead of letting his teammates get them because they were on the front.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Contador to attack, Movistar to chase signaling they plan to defend 2nd and 3rd place (TJVG will fall apart) instead of y'know trying to win the race.

Pierrot le Fou said:
fungusbear said:

I don't think Pinot is interested in the KOM. If he'd been after it, he would have got the points on the climbs for the stage in Mende instead of letting his teammates get them because they were on the front.

Yesterday he said he's interested.

Re:

fungusbear said:

How is Adam Yates on descends?
Do you see any gaps appearing between Quintana and Froome on d'Allos?

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Samamba said:
Pierrot le Fou said:
fungusbear said:

Yesterday he said he's interested.

Really? Interesting. Would seem strange to leave so many points out there on the last two climbs in that case, although if he can get into a few breakaways this week that's where he'll make up the most points. Still, unless the breakaways win each stage, I don't see anyone other than Froome winning the KOM.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

ice&fire said:
Miburo said:
I'm sorry netserk, i'm very sorry that a poster directly visited this thread and was gonna whine about it. If i knew i would have done it directly properly.

If it rains hard, do you guys think they'll cancel the descent of col d'allos?
If they neutralise it like Stelvio last year I'm fine with it :D

then quintana will win TDF. He'll sneak in under the white flag and prudhome albatros.. then later said.. i don't see anything.. too much water on my eyes. :D

Since I saw the TDF parcours this year, and especially after seeing Froome's first week I've thought that the Allos descent is the only place where he can lose this race.

I'd never seen it before the Dauphine. It's got some really scary passages. Certainly scarier than anything I've seen in a TDF so far including Pramartino which was really narrow (as far as higher stuff goes, Bales I think is pretty nasty too). Crashes are quite a possibility as I figure people will take more risks since it's the TDF and not the Dauphine. Hope everyone makes it past just fine but I wouldn't bet on it. We saw it on Manse.

I have always figured if their was a stage that Contador could invent a way to win the Tour, it be on this stage. I fully expect Astana to have a rider in the break to be ready on the descent of the d'allos to have him link of with. Maybe if Movistar and/or Tinkoff get a rider in their also. I would love to see Sagan there and have Contador hook up with him on the descent. I don't see this happening at all since Sagan been in 3 straight breakway's (But heck, I didn't think he be in 3 straight to begin with).

Another interesting side note is most would suspect Froome to use his team for the D'allos, but they lost Kennaugh to illness. Thomas just had that bad crash on the Manse literally the stage before this one. Will he be able to mentally go all out on the D'allos if neexded after that. Even the best will not be as willing after a crash like that.

Maybe its just me, but if it rains, this stage could become something similar to 98 Las Deux Alpes. Froome I think is mentally stronger then Ullrich, but I could see the scenario.

I see this stage being won from the main group on the D'allos, probably similar fashion to Bardet in the Dauphine. I believe it will be someone in that 7-15 GC range, who Froome can give a minute or 2 two without too much worry and he doesn't have to go balls to the walls on the descent.

So I will go with Nibali, Bardet or the real darkhorse Samuel Sanchez.

Re: Tour de France 2015 Stage 17: Digne-les-Bains-Pra Loup 1

A breakaway can succeed. No one in the top-16: they're a bit too close. Pinot, Vuillermoz, Purito, maybe Talansky, Ryder, maybe Majka if he's not on bodyguard duty, one Europcar, Bakelands, 12-15 riders total. For the GC guys, I'm not sure that anything will happen in the Col d'Allos. Nibbles will attack in the descent. All but 2 or 3 from the breakaway will be caught. Froome won't lose time on Quintana. Pinot or Purito for the win.

Re:

Netserk said:
We should have a meme here for people who creates race threads so early that others don't even get the chance, yet won't take the time to do more than the bare minimum. It's understandable to only post the profile, if it's late and no one else seems to be doing it, but more than 36h before the start of the stage?

Well, I for one appreciate Miburo getting the thread started. For me the main point is to kick off the discussion ... so while the Eshnar on the Giro standard is great if someone has the time and skills, it doesn't matter terribly if it's not at that level. I say thanks Miburo for actually doing something to get it going.

And it wasn't created "so early". This thread was created a few hours after the finish of the previous stage. It would be different if, for example, today someone opened a decidedly average thread for the Alpe D'Huez stage, but this isn't like that.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

which GC-teams will send riders in the break? i think astana is alsmost forced. tinkoff with roman or majka. movistar and sky wont for sure.
important is which riders suffer the broken rythm by the restday.

May 23, 2015
Visit site

No, why no...

ZUcHsZk.png