• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2017 stage 9: Nantua > Chambéry - 181,5 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DanielSong39 said:
Samamba said:
DNP-Old said:
Rain on Mont du Chat. :D :D :D

Watch them neutralize the descent.

Descent will be neutralized if and only if the yellow jersey falls.
Oh man, if that happens, I'm done with this race.

I have pretty low expectations for tomorrow. Sky will be able to boss the valley between the Colombier and Mont du Chat, so even if Froome somehow gets caught up behind, he will get back to the front thanks to Henao, Landa and Thomas.

A bit worried that Aru will loose lots of time or even crash down the Chat.

It's a tough one to call, really. Three hard gradients, preceded by a a couple of hills to warm us up. But the nearly 40km of flat roads around that last hill seem to neuter the stage.

On the flip side a bridge tactic could work here and blow the GC to pieces. But that looks far-fetched, not least because Sky look really strong so far.

The chalk says Froome, but I'll go with Yates.

Things can get interesting if some of the other GC teams start pushing hard on Biche and try to isolate Froome. If he does get isolated by the time we cross over from Biche then thats the way it may likely stay. Kinda reminds of stage 9 of the 2013 tour. Skytrain including Porte were completely busted by Movistar - especially Valverde. Oh I so miss him on tomorrow's stage.

Anyways this SkyTrain looks too strong. Too many fall back options. .Especially G - he's hardly put a foot wrong so far.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

saneguy said:
Things can get interesting if some of the other GC teams start pushing hard on Biche and try to isolate Froome. If he does get isolated by the time we cross over from Biche then thats the way it may likely stay. Kinda reminds of stage 9 of the 2013 tour. Skytrain including Porte were completely busted by Movistar - especially Valverde. Oh I so miss him on tomorrow's stage.

Anyways this SkyTrain looks too strong. Too many fall back options. .Especially G - he's hardly put a foot wrong so far.
He rode Froome off the road today

Eagle said:
saneguy said:

He rode Froome off the road today

:lol: Nothing too serious really.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Nairo will be way stronger than on the first mountain stage, I even expect a good showing from Contador.
Froome went off the road today, so I don't know if he'll take a lot of risks on a wet descent.

Re:

Son of Amsterhammer said:
To blow everything up, I think the BMC train will need to make an appearance and go hard early like stage 5. Question is, do they have the powder left to do it?

I don't think there is any team in this competition who would be able to produce mountain train that burns out Sky doms.

The way I could see some teams (mainly Orica and Astana), with 2 GC mens still close enough the top, to play this is them to burn their #2 choice with crazy attack somewhere in the 2 first HC's to force Sky burn at least part of their doms early in the stage. That would mean though most probably throwing the GC hopes of Fuglsang and Chaves to toilet...

If Sky brings Kiri and Kwia (with Landa, Thomas, Henao and Nieve) to the walley after Colombier with the bunch, I fear all hope is lost.

bambino said:
To blow everything up, I think the BMC train will need to make an appearance and go hard early like stage 5. Question is, do they have the powder left to do it?

I don't think there is any team in this competition who would be able to produce mountain train that burns out Sky doms.

The way I could see some teams (mainly Orica and Astana), with 2 GC mens still close enough the top, to play this is them to burn their #2 choice with crazy attack somewhere in the 2 first HC's to force Sky burn at least part of their doms early in the stage. That would mean though most probably throwing the GC hopes of Fuglsang and Chaves to toilet...

If Sky brings Kiri and Kwia (with Landa, Thomas, Henao and Nieve) to the walley after Colombier with the bunch, I fear all hope is lost.

Chat is so steep that it doesn't matter if there are doms.

bambino said:

Here is the hope I see with tomorrow. The climbs are so long and steep, that the drafting is negligible and really, the Sky doms can only do so much for Froome (and themselves). They help in the valleys of course. But these climbs will make selections. I would be truly surprised if the Sky train helps Froome all the way to the finish.

Re: Tour de France 2017 stage 9: Nantua > Chambéry - 181,5 k

The Biche / Grand Colombier combo is so hard, there needs to be action there despite the stupid flat part after it. Contador is my biggest hope, maybe Bardet. I think that Aru can defeat Froome tomorrow.

I don't get why Astana allowed Valgren, Kozhatayev and Lutsenko to waste so much energy today (same with Roche). Aru might need them tomorrow.

Re: Tour de France 2017 stage 9: Nantua > Chambéry - 181,5 k

Astana should channel the spirit of Giro 2015 and blow the race into pieces on Biche. :lol:

Talking seriously, unless all Froome's rivals simultaneously have a bad day tomorrow, there's no reason there should be 6 Sky doms still present at the foot of Chat. If Biche-Colombier combo is raced with proper pace there likely will not be a train left to chase anyone down on the flat after Colombier. Having said that, we can't really rule out the possibility that Sky's mountain doms are much stronger tomorrow than they've showed thus far. :mad:

If someone is feeling good tomorrow, then there's no reason to not gamble a bit and take some risks. There's so few opportunities to do something GC-relevant this Tour, that waiting for the next day is not an option for those who actually want to win the race.

Re:

Stage 5 was different because it was mostly rolling terrain. This is mostly mountains. I am not sure BMC has the riders to do that.

Unless the "Dawg Descending" (TM) goes into a ditch, the Chat climb is "Froome friendly" - long, even gradients, perfect to TT up. There might be yoyo-ing, but we know the Dawg has all the numbers for max climbing speed.

It's going to take a multiple team ambush - baring a crash - to get minutes on Sky. Maybe Movistar will repay Bertie, or Aru does a rerun of Nat Champs win with some help. He who dares, wins! :)