• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2018 stage 7: Fougéres - Chartres 231 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is going to win the stage?

• Fernando GAVIRIA

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • Peter SAGAN

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Dylan GROENEWEGEN

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Marcel KITTEL

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Arnaud DEMARE

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • André GREIPEL

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Alexander KRISTOFF

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sonny COLBRELLI

• Mark CAVENDISH

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So it looks like today's plan is to ride very slowly as a group to the finish. Thanks goodness this is a 231km stage for the drama over the next 3 hours.

I will say that this is the one time that I think I could actually hang with the peloton as long as they don't pick up the pace.

Re:

Highlander said:
So it looks like today's plan is to ride very slowly as a group to the finish. Thanks goodness this is a 231km stage for the drama over the next 3 hours.

I will say that this is the one time that I think I could actually hang with the peloton as long as they don't pick up the pace.
Wasn’t there a stage like this on stage 3 or 4 last year? The lone break was averaging something like 37-38 km/hr for 2 hours and then Voeckler bridged up to him, towed him along for another hour or two, and then they got caught. Everyone then got mad when Jalabert awarded the combativity prize to Voeckler for the day.

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
Highlander said:

Wasn’t there a stage like this on stage 3 or 4 last year? The lone break was averaging something like 37-38 km/hr for 2 hours and then Voeckler bridged up to him, towed him along for another hour or two, and then they got caught. Everyone then got mad when Jalabert awarded the combativity prize to Voeckler for the day.

Stage 4 last year had absolutely no action as a Wanty rider was again a solo break away. It did become notable at the end for the Sagan/Cav incident, so we'll see if there is a repeat this year.

I remember a stage a couple of years ago that was so slow and boring that Valverde mocked it by reading a newspaper that he'd had stuffed in his jersey. Not sure if it was the Giro or TDF though.

Re:

yetiyeti said:
I remember a stage a couple of years ago that was so slow and boring that Valverde mocked it by reading a newspaper that he'd had stuffed in his jersey. Not sure if it was the Giro or TDF though.
I think that was the giro but in a mountain stage, to be more precise stage 20 where nibali took pink. The stage ended up being quite exciting but before the final bt climb started it was an absolute borefest

Finnish commentator telling funny story about Stuart O'Grady, his father and Prime Minister of Australia. I had heard it earlier though.

Just because O'Grady won the stage to Chartres in 2004 (the stage also gave Voeckler the yellow jersey), but the story was about him getting yellow jersey in 1998.

O'Grady's father was a driver of the Australian Prime Minister at the time and day after O'Grady's glory, the Prime Minister was heading to work. A lot of journalists were waiting and Prime Minister was thinking "what I have done", only to find out that the journalists were interested in his driver that time.

Re:

Finn84 said:
Finnish commentator telling funny story about Stuart O'Grady, his father and Prime Minister of Australia. I had heard it earlier though.

Just because O'Grady won the stage to Chartres in 2004 (the stage also gave Voeckler the yellow jersey), but the story was about him getting yellow jersey in 1998.

O'Grady's father was a driver of the Australian Prime Minister at the time and day after O'Grady's glory, the Prime Minister was heading to work. A lot of journalists were waiting and Prime Minister was thinking "what I have done", only to find out that the journalists were interested in his driver that time.

Nice one. Typical politician..........