• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2018 stage 9: Arras > Roubaix 156,5 km

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Pricey_sky said:
I find it very difficult to believe Bardet wasn’t given a big hand by motos in the final there. There was obviously a reason we weren’t shown pictures from that group near the end. I wonder if anyone out on the road near the finish managed to get a photo or video, social media should tell us more in the next few hours.
Rules haven't mattered in cycling for a long time

There’s not a lot you can do when you get within 45 seconds of the lead group, there is a convoy of cars, you can’t do anything but motor pace in.

Leinster said:
Pricey_sky said:
I find it very difficult to believe Bardet wasn’t given a big hand by motos in the final there. There was obviously a reason we weren’t shown pictures from that group near the end. I wonder if anyone out on the road near the finish managed to get a photo or video, social media should tell us more in the next few hours.
This is pure speculation. The cameras showed the moment when the Landa group caught Bardet and he was clearly alone at the time, with a team car fading into the distance ahead of him. If they wanted to cheat, then if ever there was a time to give him some shady assist, that was it.

Of course it’s speculation,if it was legit them fair enough, but that’s why I said I find it difficult to believe. Bardet was only a few seconds ahead of the Landa group at that time, and the correct decision was to wait for that group where he had a teammate and Movistar for help. I just find it amazing that they closed almost a minute on the GC group, and pulled a minute on the Uran group, in the last few k’s.

Pricey_sky said:
Leinster said:
Pricey_sky said:
This is pure speculation. The cameras showed the moment when the Landa group caught Bardet and he was clearly alone at the time, with a team car fading into the distance ahead of him. If they wanted to cheat, then if ever there was a time to give him some shady assist, that was it.

Of course it’s speculation,if it was legit them fair enough, but that’s why I said I find it difficult to believe. Bardet was only a few seconds ahead of the Landa group at that time, and the correct decision was to wait for that group where he had a teammate and Movistar for help. I just find it amazing that they closed almost a minute on the GC group, and pulled a minute on the Uran group, in the last few k’s.

As Hog said above, they were in the cars the whole time, so it's hardly surprising they were able to make more headway than the EF squad, who had been chasing longer.

Pricey_sky said:
Leinster said:
Pricey_sky said:

The Landa group was in the cars when Bardet joined them. Also Sagan along with two QS riders and a Trek rider had already made that 2nd chase group leaving two Sky riders, Movistar's two leaders, a couple of other GC teams with no interest in chasing and Lotto Sudual. However, I was surprised that in the end Bardet and Landa ended up loosing less than 10 seconds to the group with the favorites.

Red Rick said:
Pricey_sky said:
Rules haven't mattered in cycling for a long time

Except when heads are butted ..........

Leinster said:
Pricey_sky said:
Leinster said:
Pricey_sky said:

As Hog said above, they were in the cars the whole time, so it's hardly surprising they were able to make more headway than the EF squad, who had been chasing longer.

It was obvious, you can see the long line of cars and motorbikes at the back of the lead group. Happens all the time. As soon as you can see the cars you know you are safe. Every team does it when chasing back on. It’s not unique to this stage.

movingtarget said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Very disappointed for Porte. I’d like to see him get one crack at a GT without falling off or getting sick or whatever

The Porte fans collectively all dumped whiskey in their coffee and let out a forlorn sigh............it's just hard to take. I guess Tejay's day was rubbing it in even more for BMC supporters.

And all the while GVA was driving/attacking the front of the peloton.

What would the BMC tactics have been with Richie in TJ's position?

Leinster said:
movingtarget said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Very disappointed for Porte. I’d like to see him get one crack at a GT without falling off or getting sick or whatever

The Porte fans collectively all dumped whiskey in their coffee and let out a forlorn sigh............it's just hard to take. I guess Tejay's day was rubbing it in even more for BMC supporters.

GVA wouldn't have waited that's for sure but Caruso would have. I think it would have been similar to Movistar pacing back Landa.

movingtarget said:
Leinster said:
movingtarget said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

GVA wouldn't have waited that's for sure but Caruso would have. I think it would have been similar to Movistar pacing back Landa.

From what was said yesterday GVA had freedom to race for himself today and not worry about their GC guys.

Well, much addo about nothing.
All fake like modern cycling. Those Sissy cobble stne stages are pointless. They only bring danger but don't offer chances to actually create gaps- So you either do a real cobble stage with tough sections or no such stage at all. Today's *** is useless.

Bavarianrider said:
All fake like modern cycling. Those Sissy cobble stne stages are pointless. They only bring danger but don't offer chances to actually create gaps- So you either do a real cobble stage with tough sections or no such stage at all. Today's *** is useless.

Weren't there 4 and 5 star sections? What would you consider tough?

Bavarianrider said:
+1

Worthless stage.

Super bike handlers Zakarin, Yates, Quintana, Martin, Pozzo, Majaka, etc. LOL. They are ready for Paris-Roubaix next year. They arrived with the leaders after all.

And the ones that crashed or had a mechanical can be motor paced. LOL.

Amazinmets87 said:
Bavarianrider said:

Weren't there 4 and 5 star sections? What would you consider tough?

200km plus stage, doing roughly the last 100km of Paris-Roubaix
A Time Trial /Team Time Trial of around 60km length that includs the likes of Carefour the L Arbre, Troue d Ahrenberg and Mons en Pevele would also be nice.