• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 16: Nîmes > Nîmes

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
tobydawq said:
RedheadDane said:
Right, I'm gonna make a bold prediction: The winner will have an 'a' in his name!

Knowing my luck, Cees Bol is probably going to win it...

Or another Dutchman who actually did win a sprint this Tour.

That's another possibility.

There are only 33 riders in the race with no a in their name... A very bold prediction...

I'm rooting for Colbrelli.

The chickens are ready.

EAJJBvWXoAEHIT1.jpg

JosephK said:
I like that they have this stage after the rest day. Less chance of un jour sans for the main GC guys--gives them a day to re-acclimate to the rigors of the final week before re-entering hell.
The stages (especially medium mountain with a climb near the start) that can catch some random GC riders in trouble after the rest day usually lead to great racing already far from finish, putting this borefest instead is a suicide if you want to design an interesting race.

Nirvana said:
JosephK said:
I like that they have this stage after the rest day. Less chance of un jour sans for the main GC guys--gives them a day to re-acclimate to the rigors of the final week before re-entering hell.
The stages (especially medium mountain with a climb near the start) that can catch some random GC riders in trouble after the rest day usually lead to great racing already far from finish, putting this borefest instead is a suicide if you want to design an interesting race.
Because right now everybody thinks this Tour needs something to liven it up or make things more interesting.

Re:

krakenKE said:
etapa-16-mapa-dojazdu.png

There's a roundabout about 300m from the finish. Position will be crucial. I expect Sagan to be on the podium.
Sagan couldn't even bother to get on the bike yesterday to have a look at it. And he said, that he doesn't like the heat at all. But yeah... that's probably exactly the preparation he needs ;)

search said:
krakenKE said:
etapa-16-mapa-dojazdu.png

There's a roundabout about 300m from the finish. Position will be crucial. I expect Sagan to be on the podium.
Sagan couldn't even bother to get on the bike yesterday to have a look at it. And he said, that he doesn't like the heat at all. But yeah... that's probably exactly the preparation he needs ;)

in slovak tv he said, that there will be enough time to get back to racing mode during the stage.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Its Nimes-Nimes.

What does that mean? There WILL be crosswind at some point, question is how hard the mistral blows. Another interesting thing about the stage would be the heat.

13:00 - 16:00: 36 Deg C.
1700: 35
1800: 34
Wind: 3-5 M/sec = 10.8 - 18.5 km/hr from the South.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
DQ seem to have made the smart choice of not taking responsibility in the peloton today.

They need to save their strength for thursday, friday and saturday.

And so they shouldnt, either should Lotto Jumbo and possibly even Bora. Only Lotto Soudal will be fully motivated to real it back in. I reckon the break has a chance.

Midnightfright said:
Broccolidwarf said:
DQ seem to have made the smart choice of not taking responsibility in the peloton today.

They need to save their strength for thursday, friday and saturday.

And so they shouldnt, either should Lotto Jumbo and possibly even Bora. Only Lotto Soudal will be fully motivated to real it back in. I reckon the break has a chance.

No they don't.

A stage win is far too important, to all the teams with sprinters, for them to not drop the hammer on the break in the last 30k..... and for a team like UAE, with no contender in the overall, today is also an obvious chance. - Kristoff has a tendency to recover better than most sprinters in GTs, and thus be better towards the end.

Re:

spalco said:
Reading the wiki page, that bridge, and the aqueduct is an absolute miracle of engineering, would be a major effort building something like that today, would probably cost billions or something.
Agreed!

I had to google the Pont du Gard aqueduct as well, it's an absolutely marvelous and ingenious work of art and engineering.

Tricycle Rider said:
spalco said:
Reading the wiki page, that bridge, and the aqueduct is an absolute miracle of engineering, would be a major effort building something like that today, would probably cost billions or something.
Agreed!

I had to google the Pont du Gard aqueduct as well, it's an absolutely marvelous and ingenious work of art and engineering.
Makes you wonder what would be an equivalent nowadays, considering every aspect of such a project.
Then again, they weren't losing time watching Tour de France back then...

TRENDING THREADS