• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 17: Pont du Gard > Gap 200 km

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

spalco said:
Early to say still, but it's not looking like the break will be chased in a serious way imo.

If the break gets to 15+ minutes the Wanty guy starts approaching top10, would be fun to see who chases if that happens.

well, they won't necessarily need to start chasing, it will be enough to start riding.

Re:

Bardamu said:
What a complete waste of a team Sunweb is. I can't think of a single reason of why Matthews is not in the break. Despite the reason that Visbeek & Spekenbrink are a bunch of losers.

He gave up for green becuase he wanted to go for breaks and he missed break in only stage which suits him :lol: :lol: Cycling is sometimes strange indeed.

Re: Re:

tomorrow said:
Salvarani said:
Bardamu said:
What a complete waste of a team Sunweb is. I can't think of a single reason of why Matthews is not in the break. Despite the reason that Visbeek & Spekenbrink are a bunch of losers.

Maybe he just missed it.

yup, it's very possible, same for sagan I guess. Why on earth isn't he there that's a mystery, especially if oss and postlberger are there.
Sagan already has a stage win, his green jersey is locked. It's not necessary for him to join the break. Sunweb however has no excuse to get their only guy who can win races in the break.

Re:

Bardamu said:

I think its unfair to blame the team for Matthews...His orders would have been 'be in the break'
Since the Tour started Matthews has been out of sorts, disgruntled with his training and totally negative
He was never going to win with that attitude
Other riders lose a leader they adapt but not Matthews

But where is Arnt or Anderson or Haga for the break ?
Roche has been in nearly every break so far ..at least he is trying

I feel for Sunweb losing Dumoulin ...where do they go form here

HelloDolly said:
Bardamu said:

I think its unfair to blame the team for Matthews...His orders would have been 'be in the break'
Since the Tour started Matthews has been out of sorts, disgruntled with his training and totally negative
He was never going to win with that attitude
Other riders lose a leader they adapt but not Matthews

But where is Arnt or Anderson or Haga for the break ?
Roche has been in nearly every break so far ..at least he is trying

I feel for Sunweb losing Dumoulin ...where do they go form here
They're responsible for his attitude. They're responsible to motivate the team and make the most out of a shitty situation.

Scarponi said:
Makes zero sense to train Matthews as a mountain domestique to Tom, what stage was he going to light up at the front? He was going to hold on until there was 30-40 riders left

He had plenty time to do sprint training when Dumoulin announced he wasn't doing the Tour
And anyway Matthews training was for rolling terrain....perfect for today

Matthews had the excuses ready early

Keram said:
Bardamu said:

He gave up for green becuase he wanted to go for breaks and he missed break in only stage which suits him :lol: :lol: Cycling is sometimes strange indeed.

It was the team that gave that order.

HelloDolly said:
Scarponi said:
Makes zero sense to train Matthews as a mountain domestique to Tom, what stage was he going to light up at the front? He was going to hold on until there was 30-40 riders left

He had plenty time to do sprint training when Dumoulin announced he wasn't doing the Tour
And anyway Matthews training was for rolling terrain....perfect for today

Matthews had the excuses ready early
Sunweb get what they deserve. Out of 200 plus race days they only ride for one person

TRENDING THREADS