• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 8 Mâcon - Saint-Étienne 200 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Robert5091 said:
Finish of stage 8 - not straight forward - virage trés serré en descente
Yes, good call on those details, or even an understatement... Screaming descent into the final kilometer, including tight hard-right, then ninety-degree hard right, and then sharp left bend turns. Those corners alone are good reason not to contest a leadout/ bunch sprint there. People who are predicting a stage win from a breakaway may be right, or if the peloton makes a capture in the final kms, a reduced battle between puncheur types who get over the last hill first

Predestined for a breakaway, except if DQSt wants to take 8 seconds with Alaf. I don't think the other teams will allow him to join the break.

I predicted Valgren for today. What was I thinking? He has certainly been hiding himself well.

Possible riders in the break: Wellens, De Gendt, De Marchi, Van Avermaet, Stuyven, Van Aert, Costa, Boasson Hagen, Valgren, Kelderman, Roche, Herrada, Berhane, Clarke, S. Yates, Frank, Naesen, Gallopin...

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
Predestined for a breakaway, except if DQSt wants to take 8 seconds with Alaf. I don't think the other teams will allow him to join the break.

I predicted Valgren for today. What was I thinking? He has certainly been hiding himself well.

Possible riders in the break: Wellens, De Gendt, De Marchi, Van Avermaet, Stuyven, Van Aert, Costa, Boasson Hagen, Valgren, Kelderman, Roche, Herrada, Berhane, Clarke, S. Yates, Frank, Naesen, Gallopin...

That looks a pretty good shortlist to me, although:

1. I'd be amazed if Simon Yates were in the break. It seems pretty clear to me that he is soft pedalling until they get to the mountains.

2. There will be an Astana rider or two in there - I'd say Fraile.

Sagan 'said' next two days would be too much for Bora to control so would be concentrating their efforts on Sunday's stage. He doesn't normally try and play mind games so seems a likely scenario. I'm with Tonton and hoping for Alaphillippe.

Re:

Singer01 said:
Nice stage for a Tuesday, garbage for a Saturday.

I think this stage is going to be really interesting, many teams will want men in the break, and they will want a strong men there, plus there will be a battle for yellow between Trek and DQ. If some big names like Valverde, Lutsenko or even Nibali joins the break it will be carnage.

Some pics from yesterday.
29 Big Photos from Stage 7 (descriptions to come) — corvos/flockton/bettini/aso
http://www.steephill.tv/2019/tour-de-france/photos/stage-07/

188-20190712TDF0014-A.S.O.%20Alex%20BROADWAY.jpg

315-CORVOS_00031256-124.jpg

I will be shocked if anyone of consequence is allowed to go in the break, and that includes any GC riders within 5 minutes and good puncheurs (e.g. Van Avermaet, Van Aert, Sagan) who figure to be favorites for the stage win.

Of course it's the attempts that will be more interesting, to see how successful they are in wearing the peloton down.

If they give someone like Barguil, Lutsenko, or Aru 5 free minutes I will be really shocked.