• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 8 Mâcon - Saint-Étienne 200 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
One has to wonder if Pinot is doing a 'Yates' and will eventually crack in the third week when he spends so much energy before the mountains

Yeah. But a lot of flat stages to rest until Thursday and he could possibly take yellow if they drop Alaphillipe or Ciccone that day or he does a good TT on Friday.

Re: Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
willbick said:
staubsauger said:
This is ridiculous. Instead of immediately drilling it at the front with 3-4 teams after the crash, FDJ, Jumbo & Movistar play this *** fair play game once again to let Thomas rejoin the peloton after his crash.

Staying on your bike is a part of cycling as Kruijswijk honestly stated after his Agnelo crash. If Thomas is a too limited descender to avoid constantly crashing downhill, he simply isn't the rightful winner of this Tour de France. It's his fault, his lack of quality.

Just laughable. As if it's scripted reality and they're not allowed to beat Ineos.

Just let it go you sad person

Why is he sad?

He is right :idea:

Lol, no.

There is a difference between stopping what you're doing which was not even the case here, and actually actively, evilly exploiting an accident from the defending winner.

woodburn said:
Broccolidwarf said:
willbick said:
staubsauger said:
This is ridiculous. Instead of immediately drilling it at the front with 3-4 teams after the crash, FDJ, Jumbo & Movistar play this *** fair play game once again to let Thomas rejoin the peloton after his crash.

Staying on your bike is a part of cycling as Kruijswijk honestly stated after his Agnelo crash. If Thomas is a too limited descender to avoid constantly crashing downhill, he simply isn't the rightful winner of this Tour de France. It's his fault, his lack of quality.

Just laughable. As if it's scripted reality and they're not allowed to beat Ineos.

Just let it go you sad person

Why is he sad?

He is right :idea:

100. Fuglsang should have hit it as soon as the last climb started and made him chase. It's like they all want to win the "right"" way, meanwhile Ineos don't care. They'll take an extra puff and not think twice.
Like I said, it legitimately happened with Kruijswijk before and he had to accept it!

If Thomas successfully chases back nevertheless, great effort. Chapeau!

The thing is, they did not even try. Like AG2R happily waited for Froome & Aru up to Peyragurdes in 2017!

It's not bike racing anymore, but pc party. Yes, I feel betrayed in some way. Especially since I rightfully had to swallow that bitter pill at the 2016 Giro d'Italia!

woodburn said:
Cance > TheRest said:
One has to wonder if Pinot is doing a 'Yates' and will eventually crack in the third week when he spends so much energy before the mountains

Yeah. But a lot of flat stages to rest until Thursday and he could possibly take yellow if they drop Alaphillipe or Ciccone that day or he does a good TT on Friday.
Yeah but it's also a huge question mark if Pinot can withstand the pressure that follows from wearing yellow. Personally, I think his history shows that he's a rider who performs best when under the radar. If he had stayed close to the top instead of going' full-genius so early in the race, he would have less pressure later.

What annoys me about Fuglsang is that I wouldn't actually be surprised if he could have followed the Alaphilippe attack, he just didn't immediately react. He let his team work all day, the ineos guys were isolated and he still didn't bother attacking although this was arguebly the stage that suited him best in the whole tour.

Re:

gunara said:
Better than expected. Three amazing rides.
Do we have to start believing in Pinot or he wasted too much too early?

It was a hard effort, to be sure . . . but it only started for Pinot at the top of the final climb with the closing kilometers to follow. It wasn't easy for the chasing riders, either. So, I think it's a good effort, gaining close to 30 seconds (factoring the bonus seconds) on all GC rivals on a stage that wasn't expected to provide that opportunity. Chapeau.

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:
Pretty cringe interview by Fuglsang

Lol :rolleyes:
Reasons why, according to him, why he wasn't able to follow:

- Julian and Pinot was helped by the motos
- He was too far up on the climb....?

He literally sat in 2nd position, the perfect position, the whole way up. No excuses for not following IF he had the legs which he again tries to lead every viewer/listernes to believe. Just open up yourself, goddamnnit. Your team had lead for 50 k. Just annoying to listen to.

TRENDING THREADS