• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2019 stage 8 Mâcon - Saint-Étienne 200 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
woodburn said:
Cance > TheRest said:
One has to wonder if Pinot is doing a 'Yates' and will eventually crack in the third week when he spends so much energy before the mountains

Yeah. But a lot of flat stages to rest until Thursday and he could possibly take yellow if they drop Alaphillipe or Ciccone that day or he does a good TT on Friday.
Yeah but it's also a huge question mark if Pinot can withstand the pressure that follows from wearing yellow. Personally, I think his history shows that he's a rider who performs best when under the radar. If he had stayed close to the top instead of going' full-genius so early in the race, he would have less pressure later.

Please don't begin saying the riders should not attack and gain time when the opportunity arises.

It's enough to always have to hear how boring the race is without people also criticising riders who try to prevent the boredom.

Gigs_98 said:
What annoys me about Fuglsang is that I wouldn't actually be surprised if he could have followed the Alaphilippe attack, he just didn't immediately react. He let his team work all day, the ineos guys were isolated and he still didn't bother attacking although this was arguebly the stage that suited him best in the whole tour.

He will lose 5 minutes in the mountains, I don't buy the unstoppable GC rider all of a sudden.
Ok TdF ain't that hard, maybe I'm wrong.
Gutsy ride by Ala and Pinot, very happy for De Gendt!

Edit: ... and Vincenzo should have dropped tme a long time ago, actually he shouldn't be here, stupid TBM...

tobydawq said:
Broccolidwarf said:
willbick said:
staubsauger said:
This is ridiculous. Instead of immediately drilling it at the front with 3-4 teams after the crash, FDJ, Jumbo & Movistar play this *** fair play game once again to let Thomas rejoin the peloton after his crash.

Staying on your bike is a part of cycling as Kruijswijk honestly stated after his Agnelo crash. If Thomas is a too limited descender to avoid constantly crashing downhill, he simply isn't the rightful winner of this Tour de France. It's his fault, his lack of quality.

Just laughable. As if it's scripted reality and they're not allowed to beat Ineos.

Just let it go you sad person

Why is he sad?

He is right :idea:

Lol, no.

There is a difference between stopping what you're doing which was not even the case here, and actually actively, evilly exploiting an accident from the defending winner.
Just imagine a football player who is not actively expoliting defender unlucky slipe on wet grass and not scoring a goal. :)
He would be killed in the locker room

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
One has to wonder if Pinot is doing a 'Yates' and will eventually crack in the third week when he spends so much energy before the mountains
The next stage that I expect to have any impact on the gc is the TT which is next friday. If there were mountain stages the next two days I'd agree with you, but I gotta say, gaining almost half a minute when you can rest for almost a week now has to be worth it.

Gigs_98 said:
What annoys me about Fuglsang is that I wouldn't actually be surprised if he could have followed the Alaphilippe attack, he just didn't immediately react. He let his team work all day, the ineos guys were isolated and he still didn't bother attacking although this was arguebly the stage that suited him best in the whole tour.

Careless time loss for the other GC riders but none of them wanted to commit to the chase so they only have themselves to blame.

Broccolidwarf said:
Simurgh said:
Fuglsang saying that Alaphilippe and Pinot were motorpaced

He should have been the first mover, instead of riding scared in the finale when it counted...... then he would have gotten the motorpace :p

How was he able to see the motorpacing? He was way back.
He was also angry because of Buchmann got third place at the Basque Tour while Dan Martin was happy with that. He seems to complain a bit to much. He just wasn't good enough today.

Gigs_98 said:
He lacks the explosiveness to go with a 200m sprint that Ala and Pinot pulled off. If he had attacked or set a high pave from the bottom of the climb, he could have likely avoided the attack from the two Frenchmen

Faserr said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Simurgh said:
Fuglsang saying that Alaphilippe and Pinot were motorpaced

He should have been the first mover, instead of riding scared in the finale when it counted...... then he would have gotten the motorpace :p

How was he able to see the motorpacing? He was way back.
He was also angry because of Buchmann got third place at the Basque Tour while Dan Martin was happy with that. He seems to complain a bit to much. He just wasn't good enough today.

The way I saw it, he was in the second row when Ala attacked.

Gigs_98 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
The next stage that I expect to have any impact on the gc is the TT which is next friday. If there were mountain stages the next two days I'd agree with you, but I gotta say, gaining almost half a minute when you can rest for almost a week now has to be worth it.
Well if it was someone more proven during three weeks than Pinot, then I'd agree it's no big deal. But Pinot's inconsistency in Grand Tours make me think that perhaps he is one of those riders who'd better save a little. But OTOH it's also hard not to like him because of his style

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Im just completely speechless when it comes to Fuglsang not attacking on that last 500 km ramp on the last categorized climb. I just dont get it.
What's the hypothesis?

Does he talk out of his hindquarters or is he as dumb as he seems?
Dunno, I just think he was too passive, too scared. The Tour is the Tour, I guess thats what it does to people.
A perfect example why he was never a factor in GTs and will never be.

Rollthedice said:
Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
Im just completely speechless when it comes to Fuglsang not attacking on that last 500 km ramp on the last categorized climb. I just dont get it.
What's the hypothesis?

Does he talk out of his hindquarters or is he as dumb as he seems?
Dunno, I just think he was too passive, too scared. The Tour is the Tour, I guess thats what it does to people.
A perfect example why he was never a factor in GTs and will never be.
Who wins the Tour? (I assume you must know as the all seeing oracle)

Cance > TheRest said:
Gigs_98 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Well if it was someone more proven during three weeks than Pinot, then I'd agree it's no big deal. But Pinot's inconsistency in Grand Tours make me think that perhaps he is one of those riders who'd better save a little. But OTOH it's also hard not to like him because of his style

He's inconsistent at the TdF, but has been solid in GTs. Was excellent at the Vuelta last year. A 4th at the Giro and would've finished high up last year had he not gotten sick on the last two stages. While he hasn't won a GT, he's got more of a GT resume than quite a few contenders.

TRENDING THREADS