• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Tour de France 2019

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

yaco said:
My reading is Mas lack of form has cost Gilbert his spot in the TDF - More confidence in Mas means that Gilbert rides the TDF instead of Lampaert.
My reading of it is that they have three objectives in the Tour (sprints, KOM, GC) and Gilbert doesn't fit with any of those. Moreover, it makes sense for Gilbert to focus on the Worlds and do the Vuelta instead
 
Re:

yaco said:
My reading is Mas lack of form has cost Gilbert his spot in the TDF - More confidence in Mas means that Gilbert rides the TDF instead of Lampaert.
Thats not my reading at all. I thought they wouldn't select Devenyns based on Mas lacking form which would mean a spot for Gilbert.

My question is: Who will lead the peloton for hundred and hundreds of kilometres? Lampaert, Asgreen or Devenyns? My guess would be Asgreen.
 
Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Astana confirmed their squad:

Fuglsang
Sánchez
Bilbao
Houle
Lutsenko
Gorka Izagirre
Cort
Fraile

That is a very strong team indeed, and can possibly rival Ineos.
It can't rival Ineos AT ALL. Its a good squad, but they really lack top climbing abilities. Lots of riders climb well, but Fuglsang will get relatively isolated when the going gets tough. They will need to put riders in the break.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Astana confirmed their squad:

Fuglsang
Sánchez
Bilbao
Houle
Lutsenko
Gorka Izagirre
Cort
Fraile

That is a very strong team indeed, and can possibly rival Ineos.
It can't rival Ineos AT ALL. Its a good squad, but they really lack top climbing abilities. Lots of riders climb well, but Fuglsang will get relatively isolated when the going gets tough. They will need to put riders in the break.
And they will, they have all year :)

What that team does mean, in my book at least, is that Ineos can't leave it till the last mountain, as per usual, because then there will still be 4 Astanas on their wheel and 1-2 out front.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
My reading is Mas lack of form has cost Gilbert his spot in the TDF - More confidence in Mas means that Gilbert rides the TDF instead of Lampaert.
Thats not my reading at all. I thought they wouldn't select Devenyns based on Mas lacking form which would mean a spot for Gilbert.

My question is: Who will lead the peloton for hundred and hundreds of kilometres? Lampaert, Asgreen or Devenyns? My guess would be Asgreen.
They confirmed Asgreen will be doing Declercq's job. Imo it should be Lampaert considering Asgreen can climb a little wheras Lampaert can't.
 
So they're rushing Aru into Tour de France participation too early, because they are rushing Pogacar into Vuelta participation too early, later on? Saronni must be most inept team manager in cycling!
 
Who will dominate the final in the sprint stages? (not winning I mean)

DCQ: Asgreen, Lampaert, Richeze and Morkov (Viviani)
Jumbo Visma: Martin, Van Aert, Jansen and Teunissen (Groenewegen)
TTD: Vermote, King, EBH, Eisel and Jans v Reinsburg (Cav)
Lotto: De Gendt, Keukeleire, De Buyst and Kluge (Ewan)

I think the first two teams are exactly on the same level, with Groenewegen being faster, but less experienced. But his team is so much more improved since last year with Tony Martin, Van Aert and Teunissen there. It's the first time in years I can't tell if DCQ has the best lead-out. TTD and Lotto could benefit when somehow it's not working out for the first two teams, but not quite on the same level.
 
Re:

staubsauger said:
So they're rushing Aru into Tour de France participation too early, because they are rushing Pogacar into Vuelta participation too early, later on? Saronni must be most inept team manager in cycling!
They’d be better off with Pogacar at the Tour. And I’m only half joking.

Surely if they’re serious about supporting Kristoff and Gaviria’s stage win chances, and Martin’s gc and stage win chances, they need the other 5 bodies in the squad to be committed team-players supporting the cause.
 
Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
HelloDolly said:
I also feel that Porte has not looked good and I can see him wining
Optimistic. ;)
Oops a slip there but you never know

I mean he has looked good in the past and nothing
Maybe not looking good is his new tactic ....fly under the radar :D
Maybe do an Attapuma :lol:
Anyone got any pointers on how Richie should play this one ?
 
Re:

Cinemaniak said:
Who will dominate the final in the sprint stages? (not winning I mean)

DCQ: Asgreen, Lampaert, Richeze and Morkov (Viviani)
Jumbo Visma: Martin, Van Aert, Jansen and Teunissen (Groenewegen)
TTD: Vermote, King, EBH, Eisel and Jans v Reinsburg (Cav)
Lotto: De Gendt, Keukeleire, De Buyst and Kluge (Ewan)

I think the first two teams are exactly on the same level, with Groenewegen being faster, but less experienced. But his team is so much more improved since last year with Tony Martin, Van Aert and Teunissen there. It's the first time in years I can't tell if DCQ has the best lead-out. TTD and Lotto could benefit when somehow it's not working out for the first two teams, but not quite on the same level.
Man, I'd love to see Asgreen and Martin go head to head, from 2k to 1k :D
 
Re:

Cinemaniak said:
Who will dominate the final in the sprint stages? (not winning I mean)

DCQ: Asgreen, Lampaert, Richeze and Morkov (Viviani)
Jumbo Visma: Martin, Van Aert, Jansen and Teunissen (Groenewegen)
TTD: Vermote, King, EBH, Eisel and Jans v Reinsburg (Cav)
Lotto: De Gendt, Keukeleire, De Buyst and Kluge (Ewan)
You think they're gonna dominate anything?
 
Cant find any news about M.Scott selection for TdF.
But they should be very competitive in TTT (if they choose right guys)
IMO:
Ineos
Scott
Sunweb
Jumbo
Or maybe Jumbo than Sunweb
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
My reading is Mas lack of form has cost Gilbert his spot in the TDF - More confidence in Mas means that Gilbert rides the TDF instead of Lampaert.
Thats not my reading at all. I thought they wouldn't select Devenyns based on Mas lacking form which would mean a spot for Gilbert.

My question is: Who will lead the peloton for hundred and hundreds of kilometres? Lampaert, Asgreen or Devenyns? My guess would be Asgreen.

Devenyns is present because Mas and Alaphilippe asked for him, Devenyns will have to take care of Mas during the flat stages and stay with him as long as possible in the mountains..

Asgreen will set the tempo early on in the bunch, he's never the ridden the tdF so that's the deal he goes but will ride tempo from km 1 if necessary...

Lampaert will be part of the lead out for Viviani like in Suisse,

Gilbert is not a great TT Lampaert and Asgreen are better for the TTT

so that's why Gilbert isn't there and Devenyns and Lampaert are selected
 
Re: Re:

klintE said:
Broccolidwarf said:
klintE said:
Broccolidwarf said:
Don't overlook EF ;)
They will fight for 5th place with Bahrein ;)
I think they will fight with Ineos for 1st in the TTT...... on paper they have the second best TT team.
I'm probably wrong but cant see this actually realizing.
Uran, TJ and Phinney are all TT specialists, and Bettiol has raised his TT game this year, coming 2nd in the Tirreno TT and 13th in the Dauphine one, while Craddock has also improved significantly this year (12th in the Swiss Tour TT).

That's already 5 of the 8 riders contributing positively.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS