• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 1 (Nice - Nice, 156 km)

It's finally time!

Startlist

Map
65d7a

2ef06

Timetable

Start: 14:00
Côte de Rimiez (first passage): 15:21/15:24/15:28
Intermediate sprint: 16:15/16:20/16:27
Côte de Rimiez (second passage): 16:27/16:34/16:40
Finish: 17:47/17:58/18:09

Climbs
Côte d'Aspremont (laps 1 and 2, not categorised) - 6.7 km at 3.2%
18C8Yls.png

Côte de Rimiez (laps 2 and 3, cat. 3) - 5.9 km at 5.1%
EfMxpf9.png

Col d'Aspremont (lap 3, not categorised) - 7.3 km at 3.4%
18C8Yls.png

Côte de Levens (lap 3, not categorised) - 6.2 km at 2.4%
Hj2oYwz.png

Finish
Pan-flat, wide roads, completely straight aside from a chicane with 2k to go, so unfortunately fairly crash-prone...
thumb_uc_230840_506_Streckenverlauf_Tour_de_France_2020_-_Etappe_1_letzte_5_km.jpg

0bba5

Wasn't this hyped as non bunch sprint back when this first came out?

Anyway, Ewan vs Bennett, unless crazy happens, gotta ask the nOracle @Gigs_98
I think we just saw climbs with 500 meters altitude gain on stage 1 of the Tour, went crazy, and kinda overlooked the fact that the climb that happens on makes Montevergine look like the Zoncolan.

Btw, I just realized they actually ride the 3rd category climb 3 times but the first time they just sticked it in the neutral zone

I think we just saw climbs with 500 meters altitude gain on stage 1 of the Tour, went crazy, and kinda overlooked the fact that the climb that happens on makes Montevergine look like the Zoncolan.

Btw, I just realized they actually ride the 3rd category climb 3 times but the first time they just sticked it in the neutral zone
Reminds me of taking the afternoon out on holiday to do a climb that went uncategorized in the Giro.

It's clear the organisers wanted to make a Caleb Ewan sized yellow jersey when they put a gentle 40km descent to finish the stage. Bad weather could make the last few k messy and at least one crash during the stage is inevitable.

Breakaway prediction: Jerome Cousin, Anthony Perez, Kevin Reza, Michael Schar

It's going to be pretty surreal watching a Tour stage at this point of the year. I don't really get why I haven't been given three weeks off work? Isn't that a basic human right?

The weather seems to be a non-factor. No wind, no clouds. On Sunday, however, there will be lots of wind.

Let's hope there won't be too many bad crashes tomorrow. The GC contenders only have to survive tomorrow's stage, then the stress will lessen after the mountain stage on Sunday.

It would be fun if Nizzolo won and were to hold yellow, green, EC and Italian NC jerseys at the same time. Then he's going to overheat on Sunday, I think, with all that clothing ;)

My biological clock is a bit all over the place lately; are we sure it's not the Vuelta that's starting tomorrow?

I wonder if any of the riders are a bit disjointed as well. Maybe Valverde's legs will be in their typical Vuelta shape. Perhaps when September begins, Diego Rosa will remember that he is in fact a professional cyclist.

Hmmmmmm.... Enric Mas for the win!

My biological clock is a bit all over the place lately; are we sure it's not the Vuelta that's starting tomorrow?

I wonder if any of the riders are a bit disjointed as well. Maybe Valverde's legs will be in their typical Vuelta shape. Perhaps when September begins, Diego Rosa will remember that he is in fact a professional cyclist.

Hmmmmmm.... Enric Mas for the win!

If Enric Mas wins this Tour you can all come to my home; I'll throw a party with Spanish wine, Paella and endless Valverde-videos. I will also paint a big blue M on the door of my sleeping-room and finally learn to speak more than 3 sentences in Spanish. Also I will shave my head... almost entirely. :confused:

If Enric Mas wins this Tour you can all come to my home; I'll throw a party with Spanish wine, Paella and endless Valverde-videos. I will also paint a big blue M on the door of my sleeping-room and finally learn to speak more than 3 sentences in Spanish. Also I will shave my head... almost entirely. :confused:
If Enric Mas wins the Tour, I will go to your home, I will drink your wine and I most certainly will eat your paella.

If Enric Mas heads into the final TT in 31st place and about an hour down, I will show up anyway, uninvited and unwelcome, and repeatedly insist that it's not over just yet.

I really do like paella.