• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2020 | Stage 1 (Nice - Nice, 156 km)

Page 25 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Disagree strongly, unless the argument is that downdraught is an issue (which I have not heard riders complain of) I find the overhead view much more informative in terms of relative speed, identifying riders, lines taken, width of spaces,: everything I would want to know about how the final few hundred mertes play out.

Yeah, we could see who was first and second, the rest were impossible. Viviani was sixth, but he wasn't on the heli shot once.

It's fine (and deeply necessary) to have heli views after the live one, but the front camera needs to be applied for the live sprint. I want to their faces, not their backs the first time I watch the sprint.

So we could do with the zoom being drawn back a bit, but it was only for the last 20metres that the field of view was restricted to 2 riders. I'm not at all sure that it would have been clearer as to whether Bennett had remained ahead of Sagan for 4th on a head-on shot, and that was the only info we lost from the tight zoom.

Aug 29, 2020
Visit site
In general I agree, there should not be social pressure coming from the guys who have an interest in keeping the race controlled for other reasons.
But I don't think that was exactly the way it was here. I think people agreed that Jumbo has the strongest team here, and that therefor they have some responsibility (and the possibilites) to do so.
The problem also with letting the riders each for themselves decide how much they want to risk is that some riders, domestiques especially, might not want to race that hard, but be pushed by their teams and wishes of sponsors, to go over the top. If the peloton in general agrees that the conditions are extremely dangerous, that can really help to protect not only the "big leaders", but the other riders, too.
Ok thats a fair point
I just dont think yesterday's conditions were particularly over the top. Races have been raced in much tougher conditions, and I dont only mean Gavia 88 or MSR 13. In the end, it's up to the riders / DS to take risks or play it safe. Guys like Savoldelli or Nibali would have relished in yesterday's stage and to me that would have been a perfectly fair approach to try and win the race

Yeah, we could see who was first and second, the rest were impossible. Viviani was sixth, but he wasn't on the heli shot once.

It's fine (and deeply necessary) to have heli views after the live one, but the front camera needs to be applied for the live sprint. I want to their faces, not their backs the first time I watch the sprint.
Completely disagree with this. I can't stand the front view. It makes absolutely no sense as it's really hard to tell who's winning or who won most of the time. Imagine if they showed 100m sprints from the front. Those Usain Bolt Olympic wins wouldn't have been nearly as interesting to watch.

Helicopter view should absolutely be the live standard and they can show the front view afterwards.

Reactions: Sandisfan
So you still think the heli view is a splendid idea? Today, we had no chance of seeing how close the chasers were, nor who was involved in the sprint. Horribly annoying.
I have no idea what you're talking about unless you're talking about something other than the final sprint. There were no chasers and you could see everything. I'm just referring to bunch sprint finishes. In any case, you can zoom in/out as needed but I just rewatched yesterday's finish and the view was great.

Nothing more annoying to me than a heads up shot in a bunch sprint when you have no idea who's in front or who's gaining on who and you have to just see who raises their hand.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I have no idea what you're talking about unless you're talking about something other than the final sprint. There were no chasers and you could see everything. I'm just referring to bunch sprint finishes. In any case, you can zoom in/out as needed but I just rewatched yesterday's finish and the view was great.

Nothing more annoying to me than a heads up shot in a bunch sprint when you have no idea who's in front or who's gaining on who and you have to just see who raises their hand.

I'm talking about today (stage 2).

Also, just look at the front wheels. I can almost always tell who won.

Last edited:
I'm talking about today (stage 2).

Also, just look at the front wheels. I can almost always tell who won.
Ahh, didn't realize you were talking about today. Yeah, the producers should always make a decision on the view based on the situation.

As for bunch sprints, sure, you can tell whose wheel is in front when they show slo-mo replays from the front, but not in real time when they are scattered across the road at top speed.

Ahh, didn't realize you were talking about today. Yeah, the producers should always make a decision on the view based on the situation.

As for bunch sprints, sure, you can tell whose wheel is in front when they show slo-mo replays from the front, but not in real time when they are scattered across the road at top speed.

I disagree on the last part but I think it's fairly obvious we won't come to an agreement so let's bury it :)

Don't think Pozzos crash was the one at the 3km mark.

Indeed, two different crashes.

Btw; am I the only one who doesn't quite understand the concept of taking selfies at a bike race?
You stand by the roadside and wait - possibly for hours - for the riders to arrive. Then, when they finally get there you... turn your back in order to take a picture mainly of your own damn face!?

Reactions: Jspear and Andy262
Indeed, two different crashes.

Btw; am I the only one who doesn't quite understand the concept of taking selfies at a bike race?
You stand by the roadside and wait - possibly for hours - for the riders to arrive. Then, when they finally get there you... turn your back in order to take a picture mainly of your own damn face!?
I was near the finish line of a Tour stage that finished atop the Mur de Bretagne. It was thrilling, but I regretted focusing too much on getting some photos (not selfies, just regular camera shots) rather than just soaking up seeing Evans, Contador, ang Gilbert drag race to the line.
Im not sure how much people realize they are missing when they are focusing through a camera lens. Doubly so with selfies, since as you say, their back is to the action!

Reactions: RedheadDane

TRENDING THREADS